Georgia Pro Se...Pro Bono or Lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Georgia Pro Se...Pro Bono or Lawyer

Ok so I am done with most of my paperwork. The only thing I have left is the local paperwork but I need some help. I want to file as quick as possible but I do not want to miss anything. I spoke with the lawyer with the Pro Bono Project today. My case is not high on their list so she told me it will take about 10 days to get back to me. I have been on a couple of interviews so I might get a job before then. So should I file Pro Se now? I was thinking if I wait for the Pro Bono they might not help me if my income is too high and I might be forced into a 13 instead of a 7. Or should I just wait until I get a job and get a lawyer? Im sort of nervous. I dont want to miss anything.

Get the Nolo Press book, read it, and also read all of the local rules that go along with filing. If you are ATL, then on the website under the clerk section, they have a handy dandy little list of what you need to file, the order they want it stacked, and attach each individual form with paperclips, since at least in ATL they require "flat filing" pro se, as you can see from my sig line, is indeed possible, but not exactly a walk in the park. Good luck...

John
    Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

Thx John, I figured it out. Read the book last week. Paperwork all ready. Went to file today but made it a little to late. How was your 341 meeting. Did you meet the trustee by yourself or was there other people answering the same questions at the same time?

Comment

I went to the 341 in a herd of other cases, I had a reasonable trustee representative (Melissa Davey, one of Nancy Whaley's staff attorneys, who is a delight to work with if pro se), was last in line of the group, since the rest of the folks had attorneys, asked the standard list of questions, only had a single "creditor" (the ex-wife from hell, who did not know all she had to do was send in the form), 5 minutes, a couple issues with the plan that I fixed within an hour of getting home, and a smooth plan confirmation hearing in the courtroom a month later. A Ch7 is no doubt different, but all in all, the pro se journey was not impossible, although I know a hell of a lot more bankruptcy law and procedure than I ever wanted to know.

John
        Filed Chapter 13 pro se: 9/30/2008, 341 Meeting: 11/15/2008, Plan Approved: 1/6/2009, 100% of all claims paid: 10/19/2010. Trustee closed case: 11/5/10 DISCHARGED: 11/18/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X