Discharge Hearing... Very dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discharge Hearing... Very dumb question

So after 4 long years of my Chapter 13 plan, I've finally paid the entire 100% and submitted the financial management certificates and Debtors Motion for Entry of Discharge. (My attorney passed away last year and I decided to finish up Pro Se.) I see today that a discharge hearing has been scheduled. So now to the dumb question.... What to wear to the hearing? Being that I have sent every extra penny that I could come up with to pay my debts, I don't own a suit or jacket. I know the 341 was somewhat informal, but this hearing will be in front of a judge along with the trustee's attorney (whom has been very helpful and pleasant over the years). Anyone have experience representing themselves at hearings?
    Chapter 13 - 100% Payback - Filed 2/2010 - Discharged 4/2014

I have been before the judge several times in the bankruptcy court. While there are some judges that refuse to speak to litigants unles they have jacket&tie for men and professional attire for women, the Bankruptcy Court is a little more understanding. That said, you should dress the absolute best given your financial circumstances. Most courts do not allow jeans, sandals, ripped or torn clothing, t-shirts, and other such attire. In fact, let me list the standard "blurb" at the end of a Notice of Hearing;

Appropriate Attire. You are reminded that Local Rule 5072-1(b)(16) requires that all persons appearing in court should dress in business attire consistent with their financial abilities. Among other things, a coat and tie are appropriate for a man; a dress or pants suit is appropriate for a woman. Shorts, sandals, shirts without collars, including tee shirts and tank tops, are not acceptable.
    From Local Rule 5072-1(b)(16)...

(16) The proceedings of the Court are serious and dignified. All persons appearing in Court should therefore dress in appropriate business attire consistent with their financial abilities. Among other things, a coat and tie are appropriate for a man; a dress or pants suit is appropriate for a woman.
    If you are male, and don't own a suit or jacket, I would dress with a nice button down shirt with a tie (if you have a tie), and some nice pressed khakis or other dress pants. If you are a woman, you could get away with business casual attire. I have seen everything in a 341 Meeting, but I've never seen jeans or t-shirts in the courtroom. I have seen men without jackets and women not in dresses. Again, the court understands, but you really need to try.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks! Shirt and tie is no problem, but the jacket/suit would be a bit difficult. Just glad to be about done and get the discharge.
      Chapter 13 - 100% Payback - Filed 2/2010 - Discharged 4/2014

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X