getting married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

getting married

I had done a chapter 13 bankrupcty many years ago. I paid off the remaining balance on the plan on the 36th month. This was the old law. I met the woman of my dreams and she is half way thru her chapter 13 bankrupty. Can you pay off the balance of the chapter 13 at the 36 month mark or does she have to go all the way to 60 months.

If she has to go pay all the way up to 60 months how will this affect me. She has her own house

This will not affect you, except to the extent that financial woes can drag down a relationship. As for getting out early... it depends. Generally speaking, the new law requires the debtor to pay 100% of the plan to get out early (or be so near the end of plan that it doesn't make much difference).

The other way to get out early, after 36-months, is if you qualified for a 36-month plan (under-the-median) but chose a 60-month plan just to amortize some payments over a longer time.

In any case, you'd need to ask the Trustee and then file a motion to modified the confirmed plan. Never just pay-down the plan and then ask. Many people only received a nice "thank you" from the Trustee with the plan not ending any earlier!
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X