top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordered to pay off martial car for spouse in divorce. Past due on other accounts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered to pay off martial car for spouse in divorce. Past due on other accounts.

I got divorced last year and the car the ex was driving was in my name with a loan on it.

I then went unemployed for 7 months and now make half of what I did before.

I've been able to keep up with everything except a credit card and loan that all reside at the same credit union as the car loan on her car.

A family friend wants to give me the money to pay off her car, but I'm afraid Navy Federal won't release the loan since I am 6 months behind on everything else.

Are my assumptions correct?

Anything I can do?

yes - More than likely you will run in to cross-collateralization with them which would result in a combined balance being owed to receive title to the car. I know others here have personal experience with them but maybe you can catch up on the other loans to get them out of default then pay off the car?

Comment

In bankruptcy, you have the right to redeem the collateral (the car) for its current value, taking into account mileage, wear, and any damage. If you redeem the car--either by taking out a 722 loan, or by paying the redemption amount with exempt funds, then the credit union must release the title, regardless of any cross-collateralization clause they might have.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X