Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules (Everyone Must Read!!!) (updated: 04/28/2015)

Welcome to the Bankruptcy Forum. Bankruptcy (BK) Forum is known as BKForum.com and will be referred to as BKF hereinafter. In order to ensure a long term success of our vibrant community, we have established certain rules and guidelines to which everyone must adhere to. Please take your time to carefully read our rules, before you start to participate in the community.

Things you agree to do:
BKFORUM.com (BKF) users agree to use the search function before starting a new thread. This prevents duplicate discussions and allows for better organized topics.

All BKF users agree to read the sticky posts which may be available at the top of a forum page. These Sticky posts often contain valuable information. They may also outline more rules and guidelines specific for that particular forum, stickies are put in place by that forums moderator(s) or admin(s).

Things you agree not to do:

All BKF users agree not to call people names or write a post simply to make a personal attack, or get a negative reaction; this behavior is not allowed on our forum. The use of derogatory language aimed at anyone will be severely dealt with. There is no need to agree with each other, or to even like each other. However, by signing onto BKForum.com you agree to treat each member and guest with the respect they deserve. No threats or personal attacks will be allowed.

All BKF users agree not to discuss, engage, or encourage any behavior or activity which violates the law. Discussion of drugs, violence, murder, theft, vandalism, fraud or any other issue which could be used to help individuals break the law is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to "bump" old threads, unless there is a specific benefit to the community by doing so. But in most cases, please don't post in very old threads, instead start new threads.

All BKF users agree not to attempt/use another members account. It is against BKF rules to use any account other than your own. Impersonating another member will result in an immediate ban. It is also against the rules to open more than one account in your own name without permission from a moderator or administrator. If you have been banned for any reason, it is against the rules to open another account. If you were banned temporarily and you are caught using another account you will be banned permanently. Choosing a moniker which is similar in either sound or spelling as a moderator or administrator is strictly forbidden.

All BKF users agree not to private message any moderator, admin, or other member with questions related to their personal circumstances (Questions about the forum or issues with the forum are ok). This forum only works when members share their experience and insights with everyone.

Things you agree not to post:
All BKF users agree not to post any derogatory/racist/or sexist remarks. This includes attachments, links and all information contained within posts, signatures, and avatars, failure to comply with this rule will result in a permanent ban.

All BKF users agree not to post any copyrighted or trademarked information without the express written permission of the owner(s) / proper citation of source.

All BKF users agree not to post any real names, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses, social security numbers, or any other personal details (their own or other people's).

All BKF users agree not to post links, pictures, attachments, videos, or the like of pornographic content, objectionable material or extreme violence, whether cartoon or real.

All BKF users agree not to use BKF for advertising purposes without a written contract between yourself/company/agent and the administration of BKF. Blatant advertising will result in a ban.

All BKF users agree not to spam the forums. Spam includes but is not limited to posting erroneous, non-relevant-useless, off-topic, or meaningless posts. Spam may also include posts which contain no text, or large areas of blank space between lines. Simply posting emoticons without text is considered spam. BKF is the largest bankruptcy message board and all the content is intended to help other users. Please help us improve the quality of our forum by making sure that your posts are well-worded, spell checked, grammatically correct and syntaxed.

Regarding actions of moderators and administrators:

The forum is no place to air out your opinion or be judgmental of our staff and its capabilities.

All BKF users agree not to abuse or mistreat moderators or administrators. It is against BKF rules to post any information regarding bans or any other action taken by a member of the moderating or administrative team. If you wish to discuss bans or warnings please do so via PM. To place a complaint against a moderator, send a PM to a super moderator. All Moderators are equal, any decision made by a moderator must be adhered to. If a moderator tells you something you do not like, do not go to another moderator looking for a different answer. If you are caught doing this you will be banned. The moderators work as a team and respect the decisions made by their peers and will help enforce them unless an administrator tells them differently.
If you have an issue with how the forum is run, then notify one of our administrator and we will look into the situation. We have in the past and still do appreciate any input that you offer this forum. But critical input and/or judgmental postings towards the staff will result in you getting banned.


Should you find a thread offensive or out of line, then notify a Mod in a PM so they can evaluate the situation and do the action deemed necessary.

All moderators do have active "other" lives outside of the forum and help moderate this forum in their spare time throughout the days and weeks.

If you have a problem with a member or Mod follow the proper channels of reporting it.

BKF reserves the right to delete any posts which contain anti-BKF comments or discussion. Any bashing of moderators or administrators, or any of their discussion or actions will also be deleted, and the responsible posting party(s) will be banned. Any public anti-BKF advertising, communication, or posts on another forum will result in permanent bans as well.

All warnings and bans are decided by individual moderators and administrators. Warnings are preferable to bans however, for serious offenses and repeat abusers bans will go into effect. The length of the bans can vary from several hours to permanent.

All messages posted or sent including through PM are the property of BKforum.com.

All BKF users agree not to advertiser on the forum (Niether by posting, private messaging or using your signature). If you are a company/attorney/legal adviser wishing to advertise on the site or sell a product, you must contact the head administrator and inquire about our advertising packages.

All bankruptcy related opinions expressed on BKForum.com are those of their authors and not necessarily of BKF, its staff or representatives.

You agree not to copy any material/post/content from BKF without written permission from our head administrator .

By posting on this forum you agree to these terms and conditions, including any punishment deemed appropriate by moderators or administrators in the event of an offense.

Administrators/Moderators can change these rules at any time without prior notice.
See more
See less

Unemployment extensions - 99ers - Any Updates?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unemployment extensions - 99ers - Any Updates?

    Like many others, my unemployment extensions will be running out next month. I know it is a little early for the politicians to begin bringing this up, but I am wondering if anyone has any updates on legislation, media conversations, etc.

    I am really scared as the GOP is harping big time on making cuts to the budget in many areas, so I have the feeling this is leading up to them not wanting to offer any extensions to the unemployed, especially 99ers.

  • #2
    I don't see it happening...sorry. Mine ran out a year ago so I do feel your pain.

    Comment


    • #3
      Extending unemployment indefinitely turns it into what we have historically referred to as welfare. Unemployment insurance was never intended to pay beyond a relatively short term.
      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

      Comment


      • #4
        I feel for you but I think you should prepare for the worse. The Republicans aren't likely to okay it and since they control the House it doesn't look good in my opinion. But maybe they'll wrangle a new tax break for millionaires to offset the cost. Hang in there.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
          Extending unemployment indefinitely turns it into what we have historically referred to as welfare. Unemployment insurance was never intended to pay beyond a relatively short term.
          Some things are better left unsaid-like the above and what I'd really like to say in response.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by daylate View Post
            Some things are better left unsaid-like the above and what I'd really like to say in response.
            Agreed. It's extremely rich when someone who is filing or has filed bankruptcy is looking down their nose at people who are collecting unemployment. Of course, I read on other forums where unemployed people look down their noses at people who have filed bankruptcy. You just can't make this stuff up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by daylate View Post
              Some things are better left unsaid-like the above and what I'd really like to say in response.
              Why was my post "better left unsaid"? Why is what you'd really like to say also better off unsaid? Are we to a point in our culture where it's best to ignore the truth? What exactly in my post was anything but true, direct and worthy of public discourse?
              Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by houston7 View Post
                Agreed. It's extremely rich when someone who is filing or has filed bankruptcy is looking down their nose at people who are collecting unemployment. Of course, I read on other forums where unemployed people look down their noses at people who have filed bankruptcy. You just can't make this stuff up.
                Are you projecting your feelings onto my post? Believe me, I don't look down my nose at anyone. I do deal in the truth however. Do you have an aversion to the truth?

                Relying on unemployment payments long term is not a wise strategy. The liberal line here seems to be the evil Republicans won't continue to extend this form of welfare. Given that expectation, I would think one using this public assistance program would be more interested in establishing a new strategy for income and not wondering if an extension may or may not be forthcoming.

                If my post is the one comment that jars the OP into seeking a different source of income and he has such source in place when/if Congress ends these extensions I will be satisfied that I played a small role in helping him. Of course I could have simply added to the discussion by offering a few empathetic comments and felt good about myself for how I feel toward people down on their luck.
                Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

                Comment


                • #9
                  It is easy to say that the OP should 'have something in play' when you are working. For those of us who have become unemployed in this economy - it is a nightmare. I have worked since I was 16 - 46 years ago. I was laid off October 2008 and since then have only been able to find 2 temporary positions with a much lower pay scale than I was making. I - and I know helpme also - look for and apply for jobs each and every day, not even taking week-ends off, as we would if we were working.

                  It is not OUR fault that the economy went to h--- in a handbasket. We were dedicated employees that got sandblasted when there was downsizing due to the economy. For me, it is my age and the fact that I was making a decent salary that comes into play. For the few interviews I've had, I assure the HR rep that my concern is not financial gains as much as woring and being a productive member of society. So far that has not worked for me.

                  I cannot change either my age or the salary I was making. I am hoping that employers will see that in taking the 2 temporary jobs, I am willing and able to work and the salary did not deter me from doing a good job.

                  Both of those jobs would have loved to hire me but in each case there was a hiring freeze and they could only hire a temporary for a certain amount of time.

                  Does this mean I have nothing in place? What exactly do you think I should do, OhioFiler? And saying I should start my own business is a cop-out. If I do not have the money to pay my bills, I certainly do not have the money to start a business.

                  Hey - if you can help us get jobs, let's hear it. As I said to each of the collection folks - any jobs where you work? If there are and I'm employed, I will certainly pay you. Unfortunately, they had no advice for me. Maybe you do.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                    Are you projecting your feelings onto my post? Believe me, I don't look down my nose at anyone. I do deal in the truth however. Do you have an aversion to the truth?

                    Relying on unemployment payments long term is not a wise strategy. The liberal line here seems to be the evil Republicans won't continue to extend this form of welfare. Given that expectation, I would think one using this public assistance program would be more interested in establishing a new strategy for income and not wondering if an extension may or may not be forthcoming.

                    If my post is the one comment that jars the OP into seeking a different source of income and he has such source in place when/if Congress ends these extensions I will be satisfied that I played a small role in helping him. Of course I could have simply added to the discussion by offering a few empathetic comments and felt good about myself for how I feel toward people down on their luck.

                    Nice try with the amateur psychoanalysis.

                    Epic fail.

                    Let me point out your glass house for you, and I will even use your words.

                    Why didn't you seek a different source of income instead of filing bankruptcy?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by houston7 View Post
                      Nice try with the amateur psychoanalysis.

                      Epic fail.

                      Let me point out your glass house for you, and I will even use your words.

                      Why didn't you seek a different source of income instead of filing bankruptcy?
                      Thank you. Since you see me in a glass house when did I file bankruptcy?

                      Why don't you debate my amateur psychoanalysis rather than throw out nonsense?
                      Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                        It is easy to say that the OP should 'have something in play' when you are working. For those of us who have become unemployed in this economy - it is a nightmare. I have worked since I was 16 - 46 years ago. I was laid off October 2008 and since then have only been able to find 2 temporary positions with a much lower pay scale than I was making. I - and I know helpme also - look for and apply for jobs each and every day, not even taking week-ends off, as we would if we were working.

                        It is not OUR fault that the economy went to h--- in a handbasket. We were dedicated employees that got sandblasted when there was downsizing due to the economy. For me, it is my age and the fact that I was making a decent salary that comes into play. For the few interviews I've had, I assure the HR rep that my concern is not financial gains as much as woring and being a productive member of society. So far that has not worked for me.

                        I cannot change either my age or the salary I was making. I am hoping that employers will see that in taking the 2 temporary jobs, I am willing and able to work and the salary did not deter me from doing a good job.

                        Both of those jobs would have loved to hire me but in each case there was a hiring freeze and they could only hire a temporary for a certain amount of time.

                        Does this mean I have nothing in place? What exactly do you think I should do, OhioFiler? And saying I should start my own business is a cop-out. If I do not have the money to pay my bills, I certainly do not have the money to start a business.

                        Hey - if you can help us get jobs, let's hear it. As I said to each of the collection folks - any jobs where you work? If there are and I'm employed, I will certainly pay you. Unfortunately, they had no advice for me. Maybe you do.
                        I agree 100% with you discouraged. I didn't ask to be one of the millions who lost their jobs during the recession. I even gave up everything I had, everything (which included going bk, about to lose my house to foreclosure, my life savings, everything for a job. This included going back to college and earning my degree and graduating with honors.

                        I STILL CAN'T GET A F'IN JOB!!! Ohioflyer, I understand your stance with the issue, but in a situation like this when there are simply not enough jobs to go around and we are trying everyday, you can't make a statement like this about UI having to be temporary. I am pissed that the republicans fought like hell to get tax breaks for the rich and for the corporations, yet they have no sympathy for those struggling on the bottom.

                        I have worked for over 20 years. Even when I lost jobs in the past, I could count on unemployment help and I could tap into my savings, 401k, home equity loans, etc. to help me through those times, then save up again.

                        The recession changed all that. I used up every penny I had. Every creditor including home equity froze my credit lines. I will have to go to food stamps and other gov't assistance next if they don't renew unemployment.

                        I am sick of our country helping the wealthiest corporations, going off to yet another war, but not helping those at home. This is not welfare, until the country can get the unemployment rate down, those who are trying to find jobs need the insurance policy they paid into to help them until they find jobs again.

                        If you didn't lose your job for an extended period of time, you have ZERO clue what it is like to be in a hopeless situation like this.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by OhioFiler View Post
                          Thank you. Since you see me in a glass house when did I file bankruptcy?

                          Why don't you debate my amateur psychoanalysis rather than throw out nonsense?
                          OhioFiler, I can tell by the way you write, that you don't mean to offend me or anyone in this post. I understand you are expressing your opinion. I don't hate you for expressing it. I used to feel the same way as you 10 years ago. But until I walked that long mile in the unemployed persons shoes, I couldn't understand what someone like this goes through and it is pure hell. I don't hate republicans, many of my friends are republicans. But I do hate republican leaders in the house and senate that can't relate to a desperate situation, because they have no clue what this is like.

                          Millions of new people are out of work for extended periods of time not due to any fault of their own. The government needs to help them continue to stay at the bottom poverty level for as long as it takes until they can find work. These people will spend that money, thus pumping up the economy. The wealthiest citizens and corporations do not need additional tax breaks. The theory was that if we gave them all these tax breaks, they would hire lots of new workers, but they did not, they instead hoarded the money or invested it into offshore lucrative stocks and investments.

                          Remember, unemployment insurance is not welfare. These people, myself included are trying as hard as hell to get back to work again. Do you think I enjoy living in poverty? Do you think I chose to lose my house that I owned and loved for 20 years so I can be unemployed? Do you think I enjoy not being able to go out and have fun, buy myself items, go on vacations, get a new car, have a normal life?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                            OhioFiler, I can tell by the way you write, that you don't mean to offend me or anyone in this post. I understand you are expressing your opinion. I don't hate you for expressing it. I used to feel the same way as you 10 years ago. But until I walked that long mile in the unemployed persons shoes, I couldn't understand what someone like this goes through and it is pure hell. I don't hate republicans, many of my friends are republicans. But I do hate republican leaders in the house and senate that can't relate to a desperate situation, because they have no clue what this is like.

                            Millions of new people are out of work for extended periods of time not due to any fault of their own. The government needs to help them continue to stay at the bottom poverty level for as long as it takes until they can find work. These people will spend that money, thus pumping up the economy. The wealthiest citizens and corporations do not need additional tax breaks. The theory was that if we gave them all these tax breaks, they would hire lots of new workers, but they did not, they instead hoarded the money or invested it into offshore lucrative stocks and investments.

                            Remember, unemployment insurance is not welfare. These people, myself included are trying as hard as hell to get back to work again. Do you think I enjoy living in poverty? Do you think I chose to lose my house that I owned and loved for 20 years so I can be unemployed? Do you think I enjoy not being able to go out and have fun, buy myself items, go on vacations, get a new car, have a normal life?
                            Unemployment insurance is a crutch and many people learn to live on it so long as they can receive it. That does not include everyone. However, endless monthly payments from the government regardless what we label it are welfare payments. The only obvious difference from traditional welfare is unemployment payments are directed to people who would be considered middle class by most definitions. Many in this group want to resist the label of "welfare recipient" as the term has a negative connotation historically. I don't use it in a negative way here, simply factually.

                            Congress spent nearly $1,000,000,000 on a so called stimulus plan designed to create jobs. It failed because government can't create jobs outside itself (i.e hire more bureaucrats). It is the private sector who create jobs. Whether one likes wealthy people or large corporations the truth is these are the job creators along with the small business owner. Relying on the government to solve this problem is creating an unsustainable debt load with nearly zero tangible results.

                            I wish you well on your job search.
                            Well, I did. Every one of 'em. Mostly I remember the last one. The wild finish. A guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out. -Rick

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks ohioflyer, I agree with part of your post, but disagree with the crutch and welfare comment. Welfare is entirely different as it applies to those that do not work. Lets say you are 22 and have 2 children and go on welfare, then have another child.

                              Unemployment insurance is for those that WANT to work and HAVE worked, yet can't find a job. I understand if we had a 5% unemployment rate and someone simply does not want to find work, but remember, we are in a massive recession. We are not 9%, we are 17.5% or higher (this is the true unemployment amount). This means millions of people are not going to be able to find a job. So we can either turn them out to the street, hope they can move in with relatives if this option exists, move into a YMCA, or whatever is left for them.

                              Now the president just announced we are going into a 3rd war. So now we are going to spend billions more with a Libya conflict. Sure it's much smaller than the other 2 wars. And hopefully we don't put any ground troops in and hopefully other countries carry their weight. But we were also told Iraq would be a cakewalk and look what happened.

                              So lets neglect our own citizens and instead get involved with another 3rd world country that we don't belong in.

                              I hope our government fights as hard for our own citizens next month as they do for the citizens of other countries.

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X