No announcement yet.

A bill for the 99ers is gaining momentum - H.R. 589

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't heard anything here yet. Good for those states that are not going to let their people starve or resort to panhandling, shelters and/or bridges to survive. I do not understand how anyone who is an elected official would not fight for their constituents.

I tried to watch the state legislature job creation forum today but to tell the truth I didn't see much about job creation. Don't know what they were trying to get across but I suppose since it was open they were careful of what they said.

I don't pretend to understand legislature talk. Wish I did.

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
      Oregon 99er's get a six week extension in benefits

Our governor signed the bills into law today.

http://keepamericaatwork.com/?p=65393

BTW, if are unemployed stay away - we don't have any jobs here unless you have at least a Masters degree from a major school in semiconductor engineering, physics, or materials science - in which case Intel may have a job for you if you also have experience, and of course are under 30.

It also is cold and rainy all the time - We have not had a 60 degree high day yet this year, and none in the future forecast for at least two weeks. But we do have nice rainbows:

Good for Oregon, that is so cool. I also like how Oregon doesn't allow employers to look at credit scores either when making a hiring decision. I live in California, and we have a new democrat governor and a democrat won the race for senate. So I am hoping California follows Oregons example and passes similar legislation.

Comment

Michigan is actually signing a bill this week into law that will reduce short-term unemployment benefits to 20 weeks instead of 26 weeks. Michigan is now going to have the shortest term state-funded unemployment benefit package in the nation.
        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by WhatMoney View Post
          Oregon 99er's get a six week extension in benefits

Our governor signed the bills into law today.

http://keepamericaatwork.com/?p=65393

BTW, if are unemployed stay away - we don't have any jobs here unless you have at least a Masters degree from a major school in semiconductor engineering, physics, or materials science - in which case Intel may have a job for you if you also have experience, and of course are under 30.

It also is cold and rainy all the time - We have not had a 60 degree high day yet this year, and none in the future forecast for at least two weeks. But we do have nice rainbows:

well oregon has always been with it from the start...(my bothers in Medford). as you pointed out sadly, i will not be moving in with him anytime soon, as, of course, i don't meet the criteria fo the jobs other that a masters degree in nothing that matter.... anyway.

most beautiful picture WhatMoney....absolutely love it.
          8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
            Michigan is actually signing a bill this week into law that will reduce short-term unemployment benefits to 20 weeks instead of 26 weeks. Michigan is now going to have the shortest term state-funded unemployment benefit package in the nation.
            i do believe florida is not far behind michigan.

Unemployment benefits bill on Florida House agenda this week
            March 07, 2011|Sun Sentinel

HB 7005 goes before the Florida House this week. It is schedule for a reading on Wednesday, and then possibly again on Thursday before a vote.

Why should you care? HB 7005 changes Florida's unemployment compensation system. It cuts state benefits from 26 to 20, and as a result, as I reported separately today, Floridians will be eligible for fewer federal benefits as well.

The bill also would make it more difficult to get benefits. If you are laid off from a job in Florida and apply for benefits, you would have to undergo a skills review tests or risk losing your benefits. If after 19 weeks on benefits, a job comes along that pays at least minimum wage, you would have to take it or risk losing your benefits. Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour in Florida.

If passed, HB 7005 wouldn't affect the benefits of those currently unemployed and receiving state or federally extended benefits.
            8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Update:

House votes to cut Floridians' unemployment benefits

Sun Sentinel, March 10, 2011

The Florida House voted 81-38 on Thursday for cuts in unemployment benefits that will make them the lowest of any state in the nation. Republican legislators argued that cuts are necessary to protect Florida's business climate from rising unemployment insurance costs. "HB 7005 is the first step of many to create an infrastructure that encourages other companies to move to Florida," said Rep. Doug Holder, R-Sarasota, who sponsored the bill. "It sends a resounding message to the business that Florida is the place to be and is quickly becoming the most business-friendly state in the country.

guess we now beat Michigan.

Comment

Wow - guess Florida wants the unemployed to move out of there too. Wonder where they are going to put everyone who can't find a job? They sure won't come here - oh wait, our summer's are wonderful. But they would all leave the bridges when winter comes.

Still such a sad, sad economic situation. What are these folks thinking?????

Comment

Originally posted by discouraged View Post
                  Wow - guess Florida wants the unemployed to move out of there too. Wonder where they are going to put everyone who can't find a job? They sure won't come here - oh wait, our summer's are wonderful. But they would all leave the bridges when winter comes.

Still such a sad, sad economic situation. What are these folks thinking?????
                  i know...lucky for us, we collect out of new jersey from florida. additionally, florida's pay for UI was very much less...however, we paid in for YEARS into our funds. apparently, from what i understand, we were told by one atty when he saw our UI amount, he got angry....and says his employees don't pay in, he does. thankfully, we don't know much more about it...nor want to.

i'm really sorry for many of the people here and hope no more people lose their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                    Update:

House votes to cut Floridians' unemployment benefits

Sun Sentinel, March 10, 2011

The Florida House voted 81-38 on Thursday for cuts in unemployment benefits that will make them the lowest of any state in the nation. Republican legislators argued that cuts are necessary to protect Florida's business climate from rising unemployment insurance costs. "HB 7005 is the first step of many to create an infrastructure that encourages other companies to move to Florida," said Rep. Doug Holder, R-Sarasota, who sponsored the bill. "It sends a resounding message to the business that Florida is the place to be and is quickly becoming the most business-friendly state in the country.

guess we now beat Michigan.
                    I'm really sorry to hear this. The one question I want to ask the republican lawmakers or even the people that say unemployed people should just find a job, is this?

Suppose you were the one that lost your job. Now lets just assume for this question that you lost your job and can't find a job. I know you are really resourceful and can start your own business or get a local job somewhere or do something that most other people can't to find a job, but suppose you tried these options and were still unable to find a job. What would you do?

Would you now support unemployment extensions? Welcome to the world tens of millions of us now live in.

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
                      I'm really sorry to hear this. The one question I want to ask the republican lawmakers or even the people that say unemployed people should just find a job, is this?

Suppose you were the one that lost your job. Now lets just assume for this question that you lost your job and can't find a job. I know you are really resourceful and can start your own business or get a local job somewhere or do something that most other people can't to find a job, but suppose you tried these options and were still unable to find a job. What would you do?

Would you now support unemployment extensions? Welcome to the world tens of millions of us now live in.
                      yes, i feel so sorry for so many. hopefully, the lay offs have reached their peaks. however, i don't know what's going to happen when those grandfathered into the 99er programs don't find any jobs. i know our particular county's unemployment rate today was announced to be still at 11.8%. still no jobs. it's even odd, the local "larger" newspaper only has salesmen wanted...nothing else, and yesterday's paper had 3. there were a few medical positions open for medical coding...that's always been a good field. but that's about it here.

there is also a new hospital opening. it was announced on the news that the hospital rec'd over 10,000 applications for 458 jobs. really sad news. that's for certain.

Comment

It's interesting here in MI, they did cut future UI recipients to 20 weeks, but they did that to extend the 99ers by another 6 weeks. I was unemployed for 14 months, and only got the standard 26 weeks. That was shortly before the extensions started. It was tough but I managed to piece together part time work and moved in with my parents. It's not easy all around. Our state is almost bankrupt itself. Scary times.
                        A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

A small local hardware store by me had an opening for a 20 hour/week no benefits minimum wage store clerk. Within 4 day they had over 250 applications....
                          Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                          New Job 7-2011

Comment

Originally posted by discombob1 View Post
                            It's interesting here in MI, they did cut future UI recipients to 20 weeks, but they did that to extend the 99ers by another 6 weeks. I was unemployed for 14 months, and only got the standard 26 weeks. That was shortly before the extensions started. It was tough but I managed to piece together part time work and moved in with my parents. It's not easy all around. Our state is almost bankrupt itself. Scary times.
                            that's really interesting you say that....we just spoke to someone that also only got the standard 26 weeks. my guess, is this...how long were you employed by the employer...maybe????

we only had a few employers between the two of us with a combined 90 year work history? i wonder if that, and also that WE added and paid into the accounts ourselves matters? also, we will never get what we put into the fund in the state we worked......even IF they extend the bill...

Comment

Tobee, this was in 2007-2008. The extensions didn't start until 08. I was eligible for the extension right as I got my current job. I think they start you with 26 weeks, then you have to reapply for the extension.
                              A fresh start is a beautiful thing. And I'm not an attorney, just opinionated!

Comment

Originally posted by chicagoannie View Post
                                A small local hardware store by me had an opening for a 20 hour/week no benefits minimum wage store clerk. Within 4 day they had over 250 applications....
                                That's as good a snapshot of the current job market climate as it gets...how much do you want to bet that 30% or more of these 250 people had four-year degrees...

Good luck to us all.
                                No person in their right mind files a Ch. 13 with lien strip pro se. I have.Therefore, please consider me insane and clinically certifiable when reading my posts, and DO NOT take them as legal advice of any kind.Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X