Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt Collectors Set Up Fake Courtroom, Judge - Get Caught

October 29, 2010

The state Attorney General's Office has gone to court to stop an Erie debt collection company from using what it says are misleading, confusing and coercive tactics to extract payments from debtors, including summoning them to hearings held in a fake courtroom and threatening them with arrest by Sheriff's deputies.

The lawsuit against Unicredit America, Inc. was filed in Erie County Court by Deputy Attorney General Leslie M. Grey and Senior Deputy Attorney General Jesse F. Harvey of the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

It seeks restitution for all consumers who have been harmed by Unicredit's alleged unfair trade practices, along with civil penalties of up to $1,000 for each violation or up to $3,000 for each violation involving a victim age 60 or older. Accompanying the lawsuit is a petition for special and preliminary injunction that asks the court to freeze all Unicredit assets and prohibit the company from engaging in any debt collection.

Authorities additionally ask the court to order the company at 1537 W. 39th St. to immediately cease all bogus hearings or depositions and provide detailed information about company bank accounts, assets and business records.

A hearing has been scheduled for Dec. 13 before Erie County Judge Michael E. Dunlavey.

Michael Covatto, president of Unicredit, said this morning that he had no knowledge of the court action.

Erie lawyer Larry D'Ambrosio is accused of orchestrating the hearings held in the mock courtroom at 1537 W. 39th St. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

Authorities charge that Unicredit used civil court subpoenas to summon consumers to fake court hearings that were used to intimidate consumers into providing access to bank accounts, making immediate payments or surrendering vehicle titles and other assets. Sometimes, the complaint charges, Unicredit employees were sent to consumers' homes in order to retrieve documents or have consumers sign payment agreements.

The fake courtroom allegedly contained furniture and decorations similar to those used in actual court offices, including a raised "bench" area where a judge would be seated.

During some proceedings, authorities charge, an individual dressed in black was seated where observers would expect to see a judge.

"This is an unconscionable attempt to use fake court proceedings to deceive, mislead or frighten consumers into making payments or surrendering valuables to Unicredit without following lawful procedures for debt collection," Attorney General Tom Corbett said.

"Consumers also allegedly received dubious 'hearing notices' and letters -- often hand-delivered by individuals who appear to be sheriff deputies -- which implied they would be taken into custody by the Sheriff if they failed to appear at the phony court for 'hearings' or 'depositions'."

Corbett said Unicredit is accused of violating Pennsylvania's Consumer Protection Law and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. He said the company also failed to comply with state and Erie County Court rules in order to extract payments from consumers.

Corbett urged consumers with complaints or questions related to Unicredit debt collection practices to call the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-441-2555 or file an online consumer complaint using the Attorney General's website, at www.attorneygeneral.gov. (Click on the "Complaints" button on the front page of the website and select the "Consumer Complaint Form" from the menu list).

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

The depths people will go for greed. SAD!
    Filed Pro Se Ch. 7 on 7/7/10 341 Meeting 8/19/10
    Last Day for Objections 10/18/10 Discharged to a Fresh New Start 11/1/10

Comment

Agree. Glad they got caught.
      There are two secrets for success in life:
      1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

A lawsuit? Is THAT what happens when you set up your own courts system these days? A LAWSUIT?

That's disgusting, and offensive to everything the rule of law, and our nation, stands for.

A LAWSUIT?

Where are the criminal charges? If I were to set up my own court, and haul people before it, I would be jailed the same day. Yet these guys are just getting SUED?

WTF?
        Chap 7 Report of No Distribution 12/2/2010. I'm in the 60 day club : )

Comment

This just go to show you how much time these people have on there hands to just think up some crazy stuff like this.

Comment

I don;t understand why all the people running this credit company are not facing long jail sentences????... this is OUTRAGEOUS.

Comment

I can't remember who it was, but one of the forum members once posted about a collector who locked her into her apartment by wedging something under her door from the outside. I don't know how a feeling human being morphs into a debt collector but that's a road I hope I never go down. Something is wrong with those people.
              There are two secrets for success in life:
              1.) Never tell everything you know.

Comment

How low can these people go? Setting up fake courtroom and hearings to force debtors to cough up $$ and the penalties are just like that? Wonder how many debtors have fallen victims to this despicable so-called practice. Glad they got caught. Imagine if I was to impersonate a police officer to take $$ from debtors, I'd be thrown to jail, not just a lawsuit.
                Filed chapter 7 Jul 13, 2010 341 hearing Aug 12, 2010 Trustee's report of no distribution Aug 20, 2010 Discharged Oct 13, 2010 Closed Oct 28, 2010.

Comment

really...can't this get any worse??? i mean come on now??? these people should be thrown in jail and loss the keys!!
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                    really...can't this get any worse??? i mean come on now??? these people should be thrown in jail and loss the keys!!
                    Whadya expect? - it's Pennsylvania. The Mafia has expanded it's business to debt collection, that's all.
                    “When fascism comes to America, it’ll be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross” — Sinclair Lewis

Comment

The depths of the corruption in our society, and even in our legal system today, are destroying everything this country has been. It's not just these types of debt collectors, but the lawyers throughout the system who no longer have integrity or ethics. They can find myriad ways to corrupt the rule of law and increase billable hours, getting rich on the backs of those they destroy and multiple other entities. In fact, one such greedy lawyer, in the guise of legalese in a bankruptcy case, just made an offer to "only" seek a stay judgment of $-----. if --- would "cooperate" by supporting (i.e., lying) in a legal case against several insurance companies.

Comment

These days, the mafia has more honor and integrity than the lawyers!

Comment

I am from the town where this occured and actually know many of the people on both sides of this case. I will try to post links to news articles as I get them. It would be interesting if you know the background of the people involved. Its just a sad state of affairs in this country.

Comment

How many other collection agencies operate like this?

Hopefully this is not the tip of the iceburg.
                            Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Probably one of the reasons they do this kind of crap is nobody in the government is doing their job.
                              Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X