Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment Extension Won’t Help 99ers

December 16, 2010

The extension for unemployment benefits that is part of the compromise tax deal is good news for many of the unemployed, but it won’t provide aid to anyone who’s been out of a job over 99 weeks.

As we’ve explained previously, the extension worked out by President Barack Obama and congressional Republicans only lets unemployed workers continue to draw benefits for up to 99 weeks, it doesn’t extend the duration of the program beyond that point. Those who have exhausted all currently available benefits — so-called 99ers — won’t be granted an extension.

That’s a concern because the number of 99ers may be increasing. The number of people who have received their final payments from extended-benefits programs this year through the end of October — the most recent month for which data are available — is over one million, and that number has been steadily increasing.

Separately, the Labor Department reported that nearly 10% of the unemployed in the third quarter of 2010 — more than one million people — had been out of a job and looking for work for about two years or more. Meanwhile, initial claims for unemployment have been trending lower recently, but the biggest surge came in early 2009. The peak of 643,000 claims in a single week came in March of last year, 89 weeks ago. Anyone still unemployed since that peak is likely to run out of benefits soon, if they haven’t already.

The reason some may have already exhausted their benefits is that the name 99er is a bit of a misnomer. Indeed 99 weeks is the longest possible duration of unemployment, but the total varies by state depending on the unemployment rate and whether the state participates in certain voluntary programs.

Before extended benefits expired on Nov. 30, just 24 states and Washington D.C. offered the full 99 weeks. Six states offered benefits for 93 weeks, five had them for 86 weeks, nine allowed 73 weeks, and five states were at 60. Mississippi was alone in offering 79 weeks. (The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities has a map here, but be warned it could change with the release of state unemployment data Friday.)

There’s a hearty debate over how long to offer unemployment benefits, with some arguing that longer durations inflate the numbers of the unemployed as people who otherwise would leave the labor force remain in it to continue to collect benefits. But it’s clear that the most recent recession has created long-term unemployment problems not seen in at least a generation.

As of November, more than 4.2 million people were unemployed for longer than 52 weeks, according to Labor Department data. Meanwhile, nearly a third of the unemployed had been out of a job for more than a year. Those figures are far and away the highest they’ve been since the Labor Department began tracking them in the mid 1970s.

The recession has left the U.S. with an extremely large hole in the labor market, and economists expect the climb out will be slow. In the latest Wall Street Journal forecasting survey, the respondents on average still expected the unemployment rate to be at 9% at the end of next year. That’s bad news for the long-term unemployed. The issue has become such a concern that the Labor Department will next year begin tracking unemployment for up to 5 years.

Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
    Attended 341 September 2010
    Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

great...and enginegirl just posted in the florida discussion forum that the unemployment rate just climbed to 12%.......

The reason some may have already exhausted their benefits is that the name 99er is a bit of a misnomer. Indeed 99 weeks is the longest possible duration of unemployment, but the total varies by state depending on the unemployment rate and whether the state participates in certain voluntary programs.

and this is why it's so confusing!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You can't help but notice how many posts are coming up about unemployment, not only with this board, but regarding every article and blog in general. How many stories are on the cable news channels about unemployment? Unemployment and the recession is real and it is effecting MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

When you actually sit down and try to count up to million, it is staggering. Imagine making those in congress actually count to a million. When they stop counting after a few hundred, crying at how painful it is for them to count this high, then make them sit down and think about how many hundreds of thousands of times higher that number is for real life Americans who are out of work and can't support their families, thanks to a simple little thing called unemployment extensions that those same people in congress are crying about.

I wish those in the government who oppose this legislation would have to actually shake hands with and talk to each of us who get cut off, and explain to each of us, looking us in the eyes, and tell us why they want to cut off our only source of income during a recession.

Comment

GREAT, PRESIDENT OBAMA IS ABOUT TO GIVE A SPEECH ABOUT HIS SIGNING THE TAX CUT EXTENSION (I hope he gets a ton of questions about the 99ers when the media speaks out)!

Comment

ok....another call into unemployment

as per this thread...or report...ok....now it's really confusing because this is a FEDERAL extension....not a state????

8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Originally posted by helpme2010 View Post
            GREAT, PRESIDENT OBAMA IS ABOUT TO GIVE A SPEECH ABOUT HIS SIGNING THE TAX CUT EXTENSION (I hope he gets a ton of questions about the 99ers when the media speaks out)!
            Honestly, I bet not one single question regarding this issue is addressed during the speech. Just like the millions who are being affected by this awful recession and record unemployment and are becoming what I call the New American Poor - they are not being heard. Its hard to speak out when you have no phone, internet, or home! My ex is a 99er; his benefits ran out last Spring...he cannot pay child support so his loss of benefits affects not only him but our 4 children. I think EUC should last until the economy is actually creating new jobs.
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

dh...recorded the speech....now his interruption is that the 13 week extension is for the 99ers and that's why obama said something about those that were running out or have run out of benefits will now be rec'ing the additional 13 weeks....

and of course he did not specify the "99ers"....

Comment

Originally posted by tobee43 View Post
                dh...recorded the speech....now his interruption is that the 13 week extension is for the 99ers and that's why obama said something about those that were running out or have run out of benefits will now be rec'ing the additional 13 weeks....

and of course he did not specify the "99ers"....
                tobee, I think you typed too fast because you first say that the 13 weeks (do you mean 13 months?) is for the 99ers, then the last sentence you say he did not specify the 99ers.

I am thinking and what whatmoney wrote, that since they did pass the tax cut/13 month deal, that the 99ers will be covered for at least the 5 month extension we got??? but maybe not the 13 month???

I will take at least the 5 months for now...

But again, as long as you can give millionaires and billionaires another 2 year extension, why not give the poorest of the poor, including the 99ers, the same amount of extensions???

Comment

The 13-month thing is a reference to the window of time available to people for their initial claims and the tiers they're eligible for as a result, as I understand it. If they hadn't "extended" it, people who applied for UI after you did had no hope of ever being able to get the 99 week benefit.

It is not a reference to the number of months that people can receive benefits. You're looking at an apple and hoping it is a 5-month orange. If it passes the next vote, it still won't help 99ers. Sorry.
                  OK - from now on it's not a "Bankruptcy." It's a "Weight Loss Program." I'm in. Sign me up.

Comment

You can't help but notice how many posts are coming up about unemployment, not only with this board, but regarding every article and blog in general. How many stories are on the cable news channels about unemployment? Unemployment and the recession is real and it is effecting MILLIONS OF PEOPLE.

When you actually sit down and try to count up to million, it is staggering. Imagine making those in congress actually count to a million. When they stop counting after a few hundred, crying at how painful it is for them to count this high, then make them sit down and think about how many hundreds of thousands of times higher that number is for real life Americans who are out of work and can't support their families, thanks to a simple little thing called unemployment extensions that those same people in congress are crying about.

I wish those in the government who oppose this legislation would have to actually shake hands with and talk to each of us who get cut off, and explain to each of us, looking us in the eyes, and tell us why they want to cut off our only source of income during a recession.

More the reason why I keep repeating and REPEATING that nothing is getting better (except maybe for wall street) and the sooner the sheep stand up and realize this the sooner we will get back on track.

For anyone that still has any money to do any Christmas shopping they should keep it state side. Stay away from the chinese cr@p if possible and move what little money you have into a local community bank.

This whole thing is beginning to look like the holocaust on how so many innocent are getting slaughtered by so few and so many others stood by and watched.

I happen to be more concerned with job creation the UE extensions.
                    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Its interesting how this whole thing works> my wife has been working temp jobs off and on since mid 2007. she still has not collected all her 99 weeks from her original claim which paid her $200 a week. each time she qualifies for a new claim, the UD files that and her weekly rate drops for a period of weeks until exhausted, and the if she is still unemployed, the put her back on the Federal extension, at the higher rate, which was based on the 2007 claim. So her last assignment ended in November 2010, UI filed a new claim at $113 a week and she gets 14 weeks. This new federal extension will allow her to go back into tier 4 at $200 a week, she had 10 weeks left, and then into tier 5, and then Fed-ed, as long as California qualifies. these extensions have been a life savor for us. hopefully things will get better this year, and we can end this nightmare
                      Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

tobee, I think you typed too fast because you first say that the 13 weeks (do you mean 13 months?) is for the 99ers, then the last sentence you say he did not specify the 99ers.

I am thinking and what whatmoney wrote, that since they did pass the tax cut/13 month deal, that the 99ers will be covered for at least the 5 month extension we got??? but maybe not the 13 month???

I will take at least the 5 months for now...

But again, as long as you can give millionaires and billionaires another 2 year extension, why not give the poorest of the poor, including the 99ers, the same amount of extensions???
                        13 weeks....LOL!! i type slow and terrible....nope it was an additional 13 weeks not months...or that's why was said.....we will take anything we can get i'm with you on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Peeps View Post
                          The 13-month thing is a reference to the window of time available to people for their initial claims and the tiers they're eligible for as a result, as I understand it. If they hadn't "extended" it, people who applied for UI after you did had no hope of ever being able to get the 99 week benefit.

It is not a reference to the number of months that people can receive benefits. You're looking at an apple and hoping it is a 5-month orange. If it passes the next vote, it still won't help 99ers. Sorry.
                          ahhhhhhh...you're most likely sadly correct...

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                            More the reason why I keep repeating and REPEATING that nothing is getting better (except maybe for wall street) and the sooner the sheep stand up and realize this the sooner we will get back on track.

For anyone that still has any money to do any Christmas shopping they should keep it state side. Stay away from the chinese cr@p if possible and move what little money you have into a local community bank.

This whole thing is beginning to look like the holocaust on how so many innocent are getting slaughtered by so few and so many others stood by and watched.

I happen to be more concerned with job creation the UE extensions.
                            in the long term i so agree...in the shortest of terms the UE for those that need to get people food on their tables.

the end all answer is the job creation....100%

Comment

I agree, UE is simply to help those that have and will again contribute to society to survive until they can contribute again. Millions of people that are unemployed now will soon be contributing billions to society again if we help them during this tough period. Otherwise, the opposite will happen and cost our society far more.

Also, this is a test of our society. How does the richest country in the world want to treat our own citizens, like a 3rd world country or like a country that has ethics and compassion?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X