Happy Thanksgiving.... For those interested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Thanksgiving.... For those interested

'Hub and I have arrived in the Galveston area to help out as best we can. The destruction on the Bolivar Penninsula is awesome. None of the published pictures do justice.

Galveston Island has parts that are up and running, and others that are not. The Galveston Historical Foundation is planning to put on its major fundraiser next weekend, the first weekend in December. But it is going to take major effort. The 11 block area of the historic downtown that is enclosed in the festival area, still has dumpsters and rubbish all along the streets outside the stores.

Oh my......

Thanksgiving Wishes to all.
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Thanks for that info. I live in TX and the news stations have pretty much stopped giving us updates. I have read that they are still having problems getting money that was promised to the hard hit areas. I guess even having friends in high places does'nt get you anywhere.

Is the festival Dickens on the Strand? That was one of the first things I thought about when the hurricane hit.

I have many great memories of Bolivar. I hope it does recover.

Comment

Sorry to here that things are moving so slowly. Our area stayed a "blue roof" town for about a year after Wilma. Then we got indirect hits two more times that year. Andrew was still the worst for my memmory being that I was in it and had to live in a one bedroom apartment (it was a beautiful, large apt. though) for almost three years after with three small boys.
      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by nodollarsnomo View Post
        Thanks for that info. I live in TX and the news stations have pretty much stopped giving us updates. I have read that they are still having problems getting money that was promised to the hard hit areas. I guess even having friends in high places does'nt get you anywhere.

Is the festival Dickens on the Strand? That was one of the first things I thought about when the hurricane hit.

I have many great memories of Bolivar. I hope it does recover.
        Yeah, it seems that the news story if its more than about two days old it gets brushed away in favor of something more interesting.

Yes, the festival is Dicken's on the Strand.

We got in rather late last night and finding lodging was a major concern. As we go out and about seeing what we can do where, I'll keep posting updates.

I was told last night that they are still finding bodies on Bolivar. The ferry is running, but at a reduced schedule.

Comment

The last time I was in Galveston, 1999, it needed a lot of work then. While it's sad for the loss of life and property, this is actually good news to help revitalize Galveston and Galveston Bay.

While it's not the nicest beach in the Gulf... it's a gem that Texans should be proud of.

How did Moody Gardens and the Hilton make it? I heard the Hilton still doesn't have phone service. Wow.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

We have not gotten over to Moody Gardens yet, though we have been told that the Flight Museum and the Railroad Museum are 'toast'. Without seeing first hand, I will venture that that this means that the exhibits are heavilly damaged.

The Victorian furniture in the first story of the Ashton Villa has been sent to a place in Michigan for restoration.

We were also told that Dickens on the Strand will be more like it was 30+ years ago in scale. Instead of the 11 blocks usually included in the festival area, it is supposed to be only about four to six blocks. So, in essence GHF (Galveston Historical Foundation) is starting over.

Texas Seaport Museum is open, and the ELISSA is open, but the shop and dock alongside has been heavily damaged and probably be replaced. ELISSA herself is bruised and banged up a bit but is doing well otherwise.

Willie Gs and Fisherman's Wharf along either side of where TSM and ELISSA are, have been very heavilly damaged. There are signs outside of both establishments proclaiming: 'Hiring Now' and 'Opening Soon'. But it is anyone's guess as to what 'soon' means.

More later.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X