top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Rid of the Clutter! Happy New Year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Rid of the Clutter! Happy New Year!

I got rid of a HUGE garbage bag today of crap - old papers, receipts, mags, expired coupons - just anything and everything I could that didn't matter. I'm still not done with cutting up my old cc's which have been long closed. I'd do it all in one shot except that it hurts my hands.

I hate doing it but it needs to be done. This crap just accumulates too fast. I hope to have a decluttered home soon.
    Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
    341 July 1, 2008
    Discharged September 4, 2008
    Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Happy new year.

And as a public service message... I hope you shredded everything of a personal nature.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
      I got rid of a HUGE garbage bag today of crap - old papers, receipts, mags, expired coupons - just anything and everything I could that didn't matter. I'm still not done with cutting up my old cc's which have been long closed. I'd do it all in one shot except that it hurts my hands.

I hate doing it but it needs to be done. This crap just accumulates too fast. I hope to have a decluttered home soon.
      It is a mental cleansing as well. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Yes - doesn't it feel good to get rid of the clutter???!

How do we accumulate so much stuff? I too am on a real mission to get rid of almost everything as I am ready to move within the next 60 to 90 days as I am surrendering my house and moving to something much, much smaller. I do not want to move ONE ITEM that is not essential. During this BK process I have discovered that all of this stuff weighs on you (me) like a anvil or chain. Maybe its my attitude, but I think if we just get rid of all the excess junk it will make the fresh start truly fresh and I am looking forward to it!
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Thanks Justbroke. Could shred but prefer the burn barrel. Much easier!
          Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
          341 July 1, 2008
          Discharged September 4, 2008
          Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Originally posted by danaf View Post
            Thanks Justbroke. Could shred but prefer the burn barrel. Much easier!
            Ummm... s'mores!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

That's great! I hate clutter, DH loves it! So I can only declutter when he's at work and I have the day off. If he's home all I hear all day long is "You better not be throwing away any of my stuff. Let me see what you're throwing away." Then he even goes thru the trash bags just to make sure.

Good for you, what a great way to start out the new year!!
              May 5, 2008 - Filed Ch7
              June 13, 2008 - 341 Meeting
              August 12, 2008 - Last day for objections... August 18, 2008 - Discharged!
              August 26, 2008 - CASE CLOSED!

Comment

Kind of reminds me of the woman (KATU had a report on junk mail) who saved all her junk mail in a 50 gallon garbage/trash can. In 6 months, she had it 3/4 filled...Sheesh!

Comment

Decluttering also

I am trying to declutter too. I'm doing a good job with paper but don't know what to do with so much stuff. Some are family heirlooms which I will probably label and pack away in boxes. But some are decoratrive pieces of glass, pictures, etc. that I'd like to sell but ebay isn't doing much and people at garage sales don't want to pay more than $1.
                  The poster who said that the clutter weighs you down is correct. And it all has to be cleaned and/or dusted

Comment

For knick-knacky clutter, free cycle is your friend.
                    You local good will, thrift stores, places that help people get back on their feet. When you have nothing, sometimes one person's junk really is another persons treasure.

I myself find great joy in our community free-cycle. I love knowing that what is no longer useful to me, is really helping out someone else in my own community.

I also have a hub that I have to secretly de-clutter for. While he never misses the stuff, he is constantly telling me not to get rid of any of it!

Comment

Free cycle is good most of the time. But people are so "expecting".

I had something I wanted to give away. The person emailed me and wanted me to take pictures for her and send it to somebody else. I felt like "would you like me to gift wrap it too?" Sheesh!

Also try posting stuff on craigslist. There's a section for 'free'.

I've been doing ebay since 1998. Personally, since about 2004, I think it's been all down hill from there as they lost focus of the original concept. Now it's the average Joe trying to compete with mega stores that can sell something for a $0.05 profit and feel happy.

I'm sorry, but spending time to take pictures, post them, write the ad, sell it, go to the post office, stand in line, mail it, sometimes take a loss on shipping........all to make $0.05?

Wow, no thanks Ebay and Paypal.

I'd rather just donate my stuff or give it someone I know.

I now use Amazon to sell stuff. They charge more commission. But there's alot less hassle! Give it a try.

Comment

My mom cleaned out a drawer this weekend and you couldn't believe the crap that was in there. Notices and fliers from YEARS ago! I guess it's just easy to shove something into a drawer and then forget about it.

Comment

We have been on a "clutter campaign" for about one year. Unreal what was hidden in boys rooms and the attic. Maybe 800lbs. thrown out? broken furniture disposed and about $1500.00 taken in from ebay and craigslist.

the house feels so light.
                          "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X