top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a minister behind in his bills drop out of the ministry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a minister behind in his bills drop out of the ministry?

What is your opinion? Should a preacher, namely a missionary who sincerely tried to do something good (missionary work) but in the wrong way (racking up credit cards), should that person step out of the ministry? I am not talking about a "lavish televangelist" lifestyle, but someone who sincerely tried to do something good by touching lives, but simply did it in the wrong way. Have they tarnished their ministry? Could you still have respect for their ministry? Is it wrong for them to file bankruptcy and get a fresh start, especially now that they are a little wiser financially?
    File Date Feb 1, 2010
    341 Mar 8, 2010
    Discharged and closed May 10, 2010
    Being very careful and wise with fresh start!......Living happily ever after since!

No they shouldn't. Even the Bible talks about debt and forgiveness of debt. It's also in the U.S. Constitution (Bankruptcy)... so... a resounding no.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

I dont believe they should step down at all, we should all have the same opportunity to start over. People (everyone in the world) make mistakes, and if you learn from it.....thats really all that matters!

Comment

No, but you ,or the minister if it isn't you, could use it as a lesson vehicle for the members of the church.

Turn the event (BK) into a way of helping others.

Comment

Ministers are not perfect people just like we aren't perfect.

should that person step out of the ministry? No if it was honest intentions and only a failing of handling of their monetary affairs I do not believe so.

Have they tarnished their ministry? There will be those who might look down upon him, but if he's honest with the people and the Lord ultimately I think he'll find himself redeemed and his reputation enhanced in the long run.

Could you still have respect for their ministry? If they handled it in an honest and forthright manner yes I would still have respect. However even with so many filing bankruptcy beyond their creditors it is unlikely many would even know of the bankruptcy.

Is it wrong for them to file bankruptcy and get a fresh start, especially now that they are a little wiser financially? No it is not wrong. The bible speaks of the forgiveness of debt every 7 years. Indeed in the long run it could save their ministry and enable them to help more people. Our experiences enhance our ability to succor others, having now experienced these hardships he'll be better prepared to assists others that come to him with similar problems and he'll have a more sympathetic ear.
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Deuteronomy 15:1-9. I think this passage holds your answer. I decided to go back a read the bible from front to back to get a refresher from child hood. By "coincidence" when I was trying to decide if I should file bankruptcy I had come to this point of the bible when reading. I wasn't looking for it.. I had just arrived to that point during my reading. Coincidence? maybe or maybe not. It all depends on ones beliefs.

Comment

Not perfect. Still a sinner. I would say NO. BUT....Was there fraud involved? Hmmm.... Was his intent to use the CC for the purpose of doing "good" and yet, never really having the intention of paying off the CCs? Could that be "legally" construed as fraud? Anyone?

In the end, from the information presented, I lean towards NO...
              Filed: April 2009
              341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
              Discharge: July 1, 2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X