top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

@ All Dog Lovers - China stiff-arms FDA on jerky pet treat testing, reports show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ All Dog Lovers - China stiff-arms FDA on jerky pet treat testing, reports show

Normally, I would not post something as off topic as this, but with as many pet lovers as we have here, you should take heed........

August 22, 2012
    By JoNel Aleccia, NBC News

Chinese government officials overseeing plants that make chicken jerky pet treats blamed for thousands of illnesses and deaths among American dogs have refused to allow U.S. inspectors to collect samples for independent analysis, newly released records show.

Investigators with the federal Food and Drug Administration came away empty-handed after conducting April inspections at four jerky treat manufacturing sites in Liaocheng and Jinan, China, according to the records.

The plants make pet treats sold by the St. Louis-based Nestle Purina PetCare Co., including the popular Waggin’ Train jerky brands.

Chinese officials stipulated that FDA officials could collect samples only if they agreed to specific conditions, including a requirement that the samples be tested in Chinese-run laboratories.

As a result, “no samples were collected during this inspection,” wrote Dennis L. Doupnik, an FDA investigator who visited the sites.

In addition, the reports showed that the Chinese plants conducted either no laboratory tests or only sporadic tests of the raw materials, including meat used in treats fed to many of the 78.2 million pet dogs in the U.S.

The FDA found no significant violations and issued no citations, but warned plant owners about problems that included broken supports on metal screens, a torn gasket door on a mixer and failure to file proper paperwork to list actual treat manufacturers instead of shippers or brokers in FDA records.

That means the agency appears to be no closer to solving the mystery of about 2,000 reports of illnesses or deaths in U.S. dogs that ate jerky treats made in China, lawmakers and pet owners said on Tuesday. Despite tests of hundreds of treats in the U.S. over five years, the FDA has found no significant levels of contaminants in the products.

“It’s hard to believe the FDA would send a team of inspectors over to China without first getting a guarantee that they could bring samples back,” said Rep. Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, who has been tracking the jerky problem. “They’re doing nothing of consequence. The FDA’s tone-deaf on this one.”

Elizabeth Mawaka, 57, a Hartford, Conn., woman who says her two Boston terriers, Max and Toby, died after eating tainted treats, called on Nestle Purina to demand that samples be released to the FDA.

“It really comes down to the company,” said Mawaka, who is suing jerky treat makers and retailers. “We can talk all we want about China, but it’s really the company.”

However, a Nestle Purina spokesman said the inspections demonstrated no problems with the firm's products and no evidence that they’ve led to illnesses in animals in the U.S.

Keith Schopp, the firm’s vice president of public relations, said that it’s common for countries to refuse to have samples tested outside of the country of origin and that the terms of the inspection were set by the U.S. and Chinese governments, not by Nestle Purina or the manufacturing site officials.

“There was no attempt by Nestle Purina or the Chinese facilities to restrict sample collection,” said Schopp said in an email to NBCNews.com.

"Nestle Purina will continue to cooperate fully with FDA to assist its investigation," added Schopp, who has consistently said the treats are safe to feed as directed.

Tamara N. Ward, an FDA spokeswoman, said in an email that the inspections helped to identify additional areas that the agency may investigate, but there is "no evidence indicating that these firms' jerky pet treats are the cause of pet illnesses in the United States."

Ward did not respond to NBC News questions about the impact of the Chinese officials' refusal to allow FDA to collect samples.

Last November, the FDA issued its third warning since 2007 about potentially dangerous chicken jerky treats after new reports of health problems in dogs surfaced, ranging from diarrhea and vomiting to kidney failure and death. In the months since then, the agency has been swamped with reports of animal illness. Last month, it expanded the caution to include duck and sweet potato jerky treats.

The FDA sent a letter to Chinese officials in March identifying five Chinese firms for inspection. Investigators were sent for several days to each of four plants: Gambol Pet Products Co. Ltd.; Shandong Honva Food Co. Ltd.; and Shandong Petswell Food Co. Ltd., all in Liaocheng, China, and Jinan Uniwell Pet Food Co. Ltd. in Jinan, China, according to reports posted this week on the agency’s animal and veterinary website. The fifth report is pending because of the need for additional information and will be posted later, said Ward, the FDA spokeswoman.

The inspections were pre-arranged and supervised by officials with China’s General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine, known as AQSIQ.

AQSIQ officials refused to allow FDA inspectors to collect samples unless they agreed to “certain sampling conditions,” including having the jerky analyzed only in a Chinese government-run laboratory, or a third-party lab in China, wrote FDA investigator Doupnik. FDA investigators would have been allowed to witness the analysis, but not to remove samples.

“I was informed that FDA would not be allowed to ship any samples outside of China for testing in an FDA laboratory due to the issue of national sovereignty among other reasons,” Doupnik added.

Before each inspection, the reports indicated that Doupnik asked AQSIQ officials if their position on the sampling had changed. When he was informed it had not, Doupnik wrote that he did not ask to collect samples during the inspections.

The heavily redacted documents, known as Establishment Inspection Reports, traced the production of jerky treats from raw meat through final packaging. In each case, plant officials said they were aware of few complaints of any kind and none about the treats causing death or illness in dogs. That's despite documented FDA reports of complaints related to each site, Doupnik noted.

At the Shandong Petswell plant, an unidentified plant representative told inspectors that “it is her perception that the firm is making a good product.”

No FDA import alerts or import refusals have been issued for the firms, Ward said. However, she added that the FDA is conducting increased surveillance of shipments of jerky treats from China to provide guidance on possible products to target for sampling and analysis.

But Kucinich said that Chinese officials' refusal to release samples to U.S. inspectors should be grounds for banning the products from import -- or for a mandatory recall.

“That would do it for that product. I would pull them all off the market,” said Kucinich. “Fine. You’re done.”

Consumers have petitioned the FDA to urge Nestle Purina and other jerky treat manufacturers to recall the products. However, FDA officials have said they can’t force a recall based solely on customer complaints.

Go to NBCNews.com for breaking news, videos, and the latest top stories in world news, business, politics, health and pop culture.

And a comment from the frog: Just say NO to China!
    All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
    Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Thank you so much for this information. I have 4 dogs and last week they started having diarherra ( I am sure i did not spell that correctly) and vomiting. I took them to the vet and he said it was something they ate. I told him the only thing different I fed them was jerky treats and now I know that it was caused by that. I am calling my vet right now with this info. I will never buy jerky treats again for my dogs. I think I will look up some recipes for homemade treats and just make them myself. It will be so much safer.

Comment

Anyone interested in more info on brands involved, found this site:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...eats-suspects/

Thanks, Frogger; it's not sooo off-topic considering how some of our pets help keep us sane in these stressful times.

Comment

Here is a recipe I found for homemade dog treats.
        PUMPKIN WAFERS DOG TREAT RECIPE

Ingredients:

•One 15 oz. can mashed pure pumpkin (NOT the spiced pie filling)

• 3/4 cup cream of wheat (or rice cereal if wheat-sensitive) You can mix this dry--no need to cook it first

•1/2 cup dry powdered milk

Directions: Preheat oven to 300 F.

Mix all ingredients together. Drop small spoonfuls (I use about half of a tablespoon) onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

If you'd like to make bite sized cookies for small dogs, training rewards or just small treats, you can use a pastry bag and squeeze out rosettes about the size of a dime for tasty bite sized cookies!

Depending on the size, this recipe will make around 20 treats.

You can substitute the cream of wheat with 3/4 cup of oatmeal if you prefer. I am going to make some of these today.

Comment

yet another reason to read the labels of where items come from and know what products are manufactured here in the U.S.

WHY does the US continue to import any type of edible ANYTHING from overseas? UGH

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
            WHY does the US continue to import any type of edible ANYTHING from overseas? UGH
            Because fleur de sel comes from across the pond. (But NOT from China!)
            All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Be sure not to only know where your pet's food was manufactured but where the food itself was sourced.

In doggy gossip circles the culprit is thought to be melamine - the same ingredient that was hurting babies in Chinese manufactured formula. Melamine can be used as a protein filler.

Interesting fact: Magic Erasers made by Mr. Clean are made of melamine.
              ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
              Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                yes yes Chef Frogger, however I dont believe we're using that in our canine food are we? You need to send me a "meal on wheels" there buddy.... overnight FED EX

@ Valle - yep, agree 100%. Problem is, is that "we" wont refuse to stop shipments /manufacturing until its too late and the damage has been caused. Its maddening.... This is why I now make most of my cleaners as well. Vinegar and water kills more things than any commercial cleanser going.

I've said it before and will believe it until my last breath - this country COULD be great again and tend to the economic hardships if they'd only bring stuff back to how it was when WE were kids. Stop importing and start PRODUCING.

Comment

Originally posted by ValleYum View Post
                  Be sure not to only know where your pet's food was manufactured but where the food itself was sourced.

In doggy gossip circles the culprit is thought to be melamine - the same ingredient that was hurting babies in Chinese manufactured formula. Melamine can be used as a protein filler.

Interesting fact: Magic Erasers made by Mr. Clean are made of melamine.
                  OMG I clean houses for a living and I use Magic Erasers every day.

Comment

Thank you Frogger for this information. I had heard something about these jerky treats last Winter, after my dog got very sick, & now only give her Wellness Treats & Solid Gold dry food mixed with h/m food. I will not buy anything that is made in China, especiallySeafood.sammie
                    Plan Completed 10 months early 09/24/2014 Discharged 11/04/2014

Filed Ch 13 Aug. 2012 341 Meeting 09/12/2012 Confirmed 10/23/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Sammie View Post
                      I will not buy anything that is made in China, especiallySeafood.sammie
                      Here's something that everyone might find helpful:

I have started using this to source things before purchasing. The last couple of things that I have purchased were sourced from here.

One of the things was a piece of cooking equipment, the other a set of work boots.

The difference in quality between the USA made product and the imports is beyond incredible. I can't hardly keep the puppy-dog away from the boots. The leather feels and smells that good.

Some of the import products are ok, some are even great. Some of you people with a few more years (like me) remember when made in Japan/Taiwan meant junk. Now? They produce some pretty good products.

IMO, anything made in China is a disaster waiting to happen. From hamburger buns made of cardboard to baby cribs with lead based paint, China is poisoning our people, as well as their own.

Comment

Originally posted by angel7821 View Post
                        OMG I clean houses for a living and I use Magic Erasers every day.
                        If you don't eat them or sniff them you should be fine. Most cleaning folks here wear the paper masks to provide some protection from aerosolized contaminants (like when you flush toilets).
                        ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
                        Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                          Ooh YEAH....
                          Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
                          Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

That's why my pups treats are carrots and lettuce which our vet recommended. All natural of course. He also likes ice cubes

Comment

A friend of mine feeds her dogs grilled (lean) chicken breast and steamed broccoli. I know... cooking for your pets everyday... the horror!
                              Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
                              Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X