What, no spare tire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What, no spare tire?

(AOL) Over the past few years, several automakers have removed spare tires from the trunk. Some car companies today are making the spare tire an option – costing as much as $350.

While some drivers might be shocked to open their trunk and find no spare tire hiding anywhere in the back, the industry says it isn't unsafe to go without. Mandatory tire pressure monitoring systems, which are on all cars since 2006, should alert drivers before their tires deflate. Blowouts are rare. And even if the tire is punctured on the side wall, most drivers have cellphones to call AAA, or access to emergency services like OnStar, through their car.

Not a good idea. So what is AAA suppose to do without a spare? Carry new tires with them. Flats are rare these days, but they do happen. I've heard a lot of people complain about the mini spares but it will get you somewhere to fix or replace your tire. I don't know, I want my spare.

Comment

Any flat tire I've had in the last twenty years, unless a slow leak, has resulted in a destroyed tire--radial or not. This is just another sign of eveyone tightening their belts and trying to squeeze a little more out of the consumer. Just look at all the fees now for luggage when traveling by air.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Supposedly here you can get ticketed on the highway if you have a flat and do not have a spare on the vehicle (even if you are sitting there waiting for AAA or whatever)

Comment

Sounds like they are taking tips from the airlines. I had a car once that didn't have a jack. Found out after it was too late, but we bought the car used so I guess that's not one of the things we thought to check out.

It still seems unsafe to not have a spare. What if you break down late at night when there isn't any place open to get a tire fixed? Or you are somewhere with no cell phone coverage? (Yes those places exist.) I wonder what insurance companies think of this.

Comment

Originally posted by ksgirl38 View Post
            Sounds like they are taking tips from the airlines. I had a car once that didn't have a jack. Found out after it was too late, but we bought the car used so I guess that's not one of the things we thought to check out.

It still seems unsafe to not have a spare. What if you break down late at night when there isn't any place open to get a tire fixed? Or you are somewhere with no cell phone coverage? (Yes those places exist.) I wonder what insurance companies think of this.
            I had the same exact problem back when I had my 1991 Tercel. I got a flat tire on my way to lunch, and of course, I bought the car used, and discovered that there was no jack, and the spare tire was flat anyways. Since it was a rear wheel that was flat, and the car was front wheel drive only, I didn't have so worry about damaging the transmission, plus I could not be late. So I drove back to work even with the tire completely flat, and by the time I got back to my office, which was several miles away, the tire was disintegrating, and about to fall off. Amazingly, the wheel was not damaged, which was just a basic steel wheel.

Now, if I even buy another used car, I will check to make sure that the jack and tire iron are there, and that the spare is in good condition.

Comment

Not only should you check on a used car that the jack and tire iron are there, but check that the tire iron actually fits the lug nuts on the vehicle.... Years ago I had bought a used nissan altima that had aftermarket rims, I checked and it had the stock jack/tire iron so no worries, right... well got a flat tire ( in the middle of nowhere ) and on the aftermarket rims the lug nuts are inset alittle, the stock lug wrench was too fat to fit into the inset hole. I had to leave the car and hitch a ride into town to get a new lug wrench ( ended up having to get a socket and a breaker bar as all the lug wrenches were too fat).

Also I had a trailer at one point. Get a flat, jack it up, pull the tire off, go to put the spare on, the spare is a different bolt pattern, doesn't fit on the trailer.

Now I always check these things....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X