Odd situation with loan modification attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd situation with loan modification attempt

I filed BK 7 in 2009 and never signed reaff on my house. I fell a couple payments behind last year and mortgage company refused payments then and Fannie Mae is the owner and another company is the servicer. I applied recently for a modification and they declined it and said need more information which is no problem but then they sent me a statement for payment. I guess I need to ask an attorney if they violated the stay by doing this. Has this ever happened to anyone else? they told me that I would have to provide all this information even if I got the streamline modification and everything I read on that says they just sent a letter to the homeowner and said to pay the certain amount and then it permanent reduces the loan and no other info required.

1. There is no "stay" if you received a discharge. There is an "injunction" to collect based upon the entry of the discharge order. However, sending a statement is not a violation of the discharge order based upon 11 USC 524(j) and I have no doubt that the statement indicates that is was sent for informational purposes only if you happened to have filed bk.

2. YOU requested a modification. The lender is requesting information to see if it can assist you in modifying the loan. If you cooperate maybe it will put you on a "trial period payment" while it pushes the loan modification through the process.

3. If you do not find a way to work it out with the lender and fail to make your payments the lender will take back its property - it will eventually foreclose.

4. It is your choice not to send the info requested for whatever reason you decide like "everything I read on that says they just sent a letter to the homeowner and said to pay the certain amount and then it permanent reduces the loan and no other info required". . It is the lender's choice not to work with you in obtaining a loan modification because you failed to comply with its request.

Bottom line. . . if you want to save your home by attempting to modify the loan you need to cooperate with the lender.

Des.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X