Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supreme Court to decide on student loans and bankruptcy

Dec 2, 2009

Four years after Francisco Espinosa took out student loans to attend an Arizona trade school, he had not advanced beyond his job as an airline ramp agent in Phoenix and faced $13,250 in student debt. He declared bankruptcy, and a judge allowed him to pay off part of the loan and wipe out the remaining debt.

Tuesday, Supreme Court justices considered Espinosa's case in a closely watched dispute that could affect debtors and creditors nationwide when student loans cannot be repaid.

CASE LOG: Take a look at the major cases facing the court this term

Federal law says no student loan may be wiped out through bankruptcy unless the student proves an "undue hardship" in a court hearing with the institution that loaned the money. Notifying the creditor through a bankruptcy petition is usually not enough.

The idea, Justice Department lawyers say, is that the elimination of student debt should not be a matter of routine bankruptcy. Siding with Espinosa's creditor, they note the Department of Education reinsures student loans to guarantee they get repaid. Congress feared that without such guarantees and a difficult process for unloading debt, most lenders would refuse to fund higher education.

The justices struggled with the obligations of each side of a loan. Many, including Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Anthony Kennedy, suggested they sought a balance between allowing debtors to readily discharge loans and requiring formal hardship hearings even when a creditor accepts a debtor's bankruptcy plan.

A lower U.S. appeals court ruled last year that in Espinosa's case it was enough that the creditor, United Student Aid Funds, was alerted to his bankruptcy petition in 1992 and did not object at the time to the bankruptcy plan. The decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, based in San Francisco, would open the door to easier elimination of student debt.

Appealing the ruling, lawyer Madeleine Wanslee for United Student Aid Funds, a large non-profit corporation, said student loans — like several other categories, including child support — cannot be eliminated without a hardship hearing. Congress, not individual judges, should set the rules, she said.

Toby Heytens, assistant U.S. solicitor general, agreed, "Congress has an overriding policy that student loans should not be discharged unless there is a determination that this is the extraordinary case" because there were 374,000 bankruptcy filings from individuals last year alone.

Representing Espinosa, lawyer Michael Meehan argued that once a bankruptcy judgment has become final, it cannot be challenged based on any error a judge may have made.

Some justices, including Antonin Scalia and Sonia Sotomayor, expressed the view that the bankruptcy judge erred, yet there appeared no consensus on the creditor's recourse years later.

Scalia questioned whether judges might ignore the usual rule of a hardship hearing out of sympathy for a student debtor. He referred to a judge who might have "a soft heart for student loan debts" and say, "Let's give this kid a break."

source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...nt-loans_N.htm
    www.BankruptcyForum.com

Mod's there might be a software issue as the word "l a w y e r" is showing up in the above referenced article and other new posts as "yer" rather than "l a w y e r".
    Last edited by StartingOver08; 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM. Reason: problems with the word "l a w y e r" in posts
    Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
    Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

Yes, everytime I see the word "l a w y e r", it's showing up as "yer". Strange. It appears to be a filter on the word "l a w". That word is being replaced with a blank.
      Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
      Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by justbroke View Post
        Yes, everytime I see the word "l a w y e r", it's showing up as "yer". Strange. It appears to be a filter on the word "l a w". That word is being replaced with a blank.

Boy...I'm glad you restated the question...and spelled it with spaces because I sure didn't type it the way it ultimately came out! I will edit now...thanks.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

should be fixed now
          www.BankruptcyForum.com

Comment

Thanks Laz! It's working now!
            Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
            Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

So what's the point of this article? They won't let us discharge student loans any time soon.
              Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by laz View Post
                Dec 2, 2009

The idea, Justice Department lawyers say, is that the elimination of student debt should not be a matter of routine bankruptcy. Siding with Espinosa's creditor, they note the Department of Education reinsures student loans to guarantee they get repaid. Congress feared that without such guarantees and a difficult process for unloading debt, most lenders would refuse to fund higher education.

What a joke this line is!!!!! Student loans not only were a big reason why "higher education" is expensive, but in this job market it will take a life time for college grads to pay them off. The math doesn't add up! You go to school to "be smart" only to work pumping gas if you are lucky enough to get that job, struggling with this mountain of non dischargable debt.

They should make private loans dischargable again like before 2005 and college costs will go down since banks won't make as many loans.
                The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of Government

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                  So what's the point of this article? They won't let us discharge student loans any time soon.

No point, just something else to frustrate us all.

Comment

Originally posted by banca rotta View Post
                    What a joke this line is!!!!! Student loans not only were a big reason why "higher education" is expensive, but in this job market it will take a life time for college grads to pay them off. The math doesn't add up! You go to school to "be smart" only to work pumping gas if you are lucky enough to get that job, struggling with this mountain of non dischargable debt.

They should make private loans dischargable again like before 2005 and college costs will go down since banks won't make as many loans.
                    Can't we be a little more optimistic than that?

The biggest problem is that students aren't weighing the cost of their education with their ability to pay it back - looking at market trends, demand for their sometimes lucrative careers, attending prestigious universities solely for status, etc.; not in all cases of course, since the economy is in a rut. On the other hand, it's a good idea to go to college if you can afford it. If nothing else, attending community college fills gaps in your resume if you're jobless (and you often qualify for aid).

As for the article, I was hoping for a little more than just the analysis of a single case, since there are a lot of 2007 graduates with boom-era degrees and depression-era jobs right now. Why this issue hasn't been taken into up alongside all the president's wild spending and stumili is beyond me.
                    Filed Joint, No Asset, > $100,000 Unsecured Ch.7 6/7/13 ~~ 341 Meeting 7/15/13 ~~ Discharged 9/16/13 !!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizza View Post
                      Can't we be a little more optimistic than that?

The biggest problem is that students aren't weighing the cost of their education with their ability to pay it back - looking at market trends, demand for their sometimes lucrative careers, attending prestigious universities solely for status, etc.; not in all cases of course, since the economy is in a rut. On the other hand, it's a good idea to go to college if you can afford it. If nothing else, attending community college fills gaps in your resume if you're jobless (and you often qualify for aid).

As for the article, I was hoping for a little more than just the analysis of a single case, since there are a lot of 2007 graduates with boom-era degrees and depression-era jobs right now. Why this issue hasn't been taken into up alongside all the president's wild spending and stumili is beyond me.

Because the president's (Sad to even call him that ) programs are geared towards helping the bankers.

Right now in office you have George Bush with a different look. Between the war, adding more troops (which BTW I called the day he was elected) and his help to the bankers not much changed except he's borrowing more.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X