13 months Post Discharge. Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 months Post Discharge. Update

I just thought I'd come back and give you all an update. I was discharged 11/2012.

Shortly thereafter, I opened a secured visa account with the local CU. I was still working as a middle school custodian so I still didn't have very much income.

This past November, I received a job offer to go back to work in my field (CADD - working with Civil Engineers and Land Surveyors). I'm finally starting to actually save some money so I don't have to rely on credit when an emergency comes up. YIPPEE!

In a weird sort of way, I think maybe my job loss a few years ago has proven to be a good thing:
    • For years, I wanted to move here to be near family again. But I couldn't afford to quit and move here without having a job lined up. I moved here hoping that it would make it eaiser to find a job here. Well -- I spent 18 months on unemployment, eventually took the custodian job and did that for 20 months before accepting the CADD job. So now I've got the job I want in the city I want to live in.
    • For the first time in my life, I have a car that is in great condition AND own it outright. I bought it new so I know it's history (I take excellent care of it) and used a 722 redemption to pay it off at the current market value as opposed to remaining balance.
    • For the first time in my life, I have almost NO debt and I'm starting to build a savings account. I say "almost no debt" because there are tax and student loan debts that couldn't be discharged.
    • My previous supervisor was an absolute jerk. The boss at my current job is one of the best bosses I've EVER had.
    • I've been told that one of the reasons that I had such trouble finding a job here is that the engineering market is extremely stable. Pretty much the only way to get a job where I'm at is when someone retires (the guy I replaced retired a few months before I was hired).
    Don
    Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
    Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Wonderful, funny how things turn out for best. Thanks for sharing with us.
    chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Hopefully, maybe it'll give someone a little ray of hope. I know this place was a HUGE help for me when I was trying to figure out what to do.
      Don
      Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
      Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X