When last we left Strawberry Su.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When last we left Strawberry Su.....

Thought I'd give an update, originally posted as Strawberry Su, maybe a few remember me. It's been about 2 years since I posted, riding off into the sunset post BK. Things looked pretty good, in my post I spoke about how we were buying an older mobile home on land for cash, and debt free, except for car payment. My car pays off in a month, so will be completely debt free. But about a week after we bought the mobile home, my hubby got laid off. We had just spent about every cent we had.

Before unemployment kicked in, he got another job, albeit with a $4/hr paycut. With his military retirement, we still had enough income to work on remodeling our 1991 DW mobile home. He hated the job, though, owner's standards were much lower than his. So we found him a better paying job, back to what he had been making. Except he was the only employee, all other workers were 1099s. The pay was crazy, somehow what was supposed to be $19/hr was averageing out to $10/hr. Before he could find another job (his fourth in a 2 year period, after working over 11 years at his previous job in OH), he was let go, because he was making too many waves about his pay.

This time we ended up on unemployment. But it paid better than the last job did! So we decided, as we had almost 2 years of unemployment coming to us with state and federal, we would try to work for ourselves. That's what we told ourselves, but the reality was no one was hiring a 57 year old. He had lots of positive responses until he showed up for the actual interviews, then it was all over.

Every home we had ever bought we have remodeled. So we sold our mobile home (made $20k profit) in April 2013 , and bought another MH foreclosure. But one month into that home our federal unemployment stopped, because NC wouldn't pay it. We flipped that one in three months, while living in it, and sold it within a week. Made $25k profit. So now we are on our third MH flip, living in it, and just put it up for sale.

Only income is retirement ($1600), but we will have about $75k cash when we sell. We will take that and buy at least one, maybe two MH (one to live in, one to flip) ,,, they can be had for $25k to $35k. It is hard on our old bones to keep moving every few months, so that is why one to live in. If we can keep this going for a few years, we should be set up pretty well for our old age. In my former post I mentioned I was going to be a Prepper, still working towards that. But I guess I am a Flipper instead, lol.

I am not a religious person, but I do believe in a higher power and that there is a method to this madness. Things seem to work out in the end. We aren't rich, but actually are making more money than we ever have. Just now getting a credit card, since car loan is done, and I need some form of credit to keep a score (which is in the 650s now). That sucker isn't going to see the light of day, except a small minor charge every month to build credit score. I plan to get back everything I had before BK - a large home, some acreage, a swimming pool. Now, it's prolly gonna be a mobile home and an above ground pool, but it will be paid for! Best of luck to everyone on this board, and a big thank you to all those who helped me so much!
    Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

Awesome! So good to hear your gratitude and your tenacity to NOT allow it to change you! Good for you!

Comment

Good to hear from you Strawberry Su!!! I do remember you and your story as we are originally from Ohio and now in NC as well...you are so right that everything works out in the end. I totally admire your tenacity and strength to keep pushing through. Because of that you have fallen into a new career and making more money than ever. Can you imagine if you had experienced all that unemployment after your discharge and still had all kinds of debt or had a new mortgage? Life happens after bankruptcy BUT life happens so much better if you learn that lesson and are/or remain debt free this time around.

I am so happy for you and the best of luck for whatever road you are heading down. Thank you for the update!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement eveyone!

Sometimes it felt like we were bowling pins, getting knocked down and set back up again. We have also moved closer to our granddaughters and see them all the time, which is great.

My hubby is still coming to terms with the fact that we are doing this and being successful at it, as he's been a 9-5er his whole working life. In fact, when he is asked what he does he kind of hems and haws and then says he's retired, lol.

Since he is not going to a "real job" everyday, he seems to think he is a slacker. Though he has worked so hard now, he needs carpel tunnel surgery. He does say he has the worst boss that he's ever had, though.... me!

Drazil65, hi, you were one I was mentally including in my thanks to the board!
        Last edited by AngelinaCat; 01-28-2014, 04:47 PM. Reason: edited to make a long run-on post easier to read.
        Let your soul and spirit fly into the mystic

Comment

Originally posted by Ntothemystic View Post
          Since he is not going to a "real job" everyday, he seems to think he is a slacker.
          Hi Strawberry Su, I also remember you. I just edited your longish post into paragraphs so that it is easier for the folks to read.

I can well sympathize with your DH. I am working only 8 hours a week. I would LOVE to be able to work 16 hours at my current PT job. Alas, they have hired another PT Adjunct, and I am feeling like I am pushed out. I am 61 years old. No one is going to hire someone my age for a FT job. I am having trouble getting any nibbles for PT jobs.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X