top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever bought a car from a Car Auction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone ever bought a car from a Car Auction?

I have been researching some car auction stuff and was wondering if it would be worth it to go there and pay $2,000 to $7,000 for a car from there? I've seen some awesome deals at some of these places as long as you have the cash in your hand.

All about public car auctions, what to expect, pros and cons, find auto auctions near you.

Look at the video on that site. That looks pretty neat.

I am thinking about doing this instead of going to a dealer next time. Instead of putting a large down payment on 1 car, I'd be better off using that same money to buy 2 cars.

I have, but most auctions require you to have a dealer's license. I went to the auction one time with a friend of my dad's who was a dealer. We looked through the lot a few hours before the auction, checking out cars and driving them. I made a list of all the ones I'd be interested in buying. Then as they started coming up for bid, we'd bid on them. I finally ended up getting one.

Our friend, the dealer just paid for it with a check and I paid him for it afterward....the price, plus TTT and a small fee for his trouble. The thing about it is it's an auction and you're not guaranteed to get any of the cars you want for a good price, as you have other people bidding for them. It's just kind of hit or miss. It's also very fast-paced.
    Filed Ch. 13 w/lien strip- 2/5/09
    Converted to Ch. 7- 2/26/09
    341- 4/8/09
    Trustee's Report of No Distribution filed-4/14/09 ; DISCHARGED and CLOSED!!!-6/10/09

Comment

Originally posted by UpsideDown View Post
      I have, but most auctions require you to have a dealer's license. I went to the auction one time with a friend of my dad's who was a dealer. We looked through the lot a few hours before the auction, checking out cars and driving them. I made a list of all the ones I'd be interested in buying. Then as they started coming up for bid, we'd bid on them. I finally ended up getting one.

Our friend, the dealer just paid for it with a check and I paid him for it afterward....the price, plus TTT and a small fee for his trouble. The thing about it is it's an auction and you're not guaranteed to get any of the cars you want for a good price, as you have other people bidding for them. It's just kind of hit or miss. It's also very fast-paced.
      I have more time than I have money. So for me, it make take several visits to the auction until I finally land a car I want. I just don't have any dealer friends.

Comment

Originally posted by debtmonster View Post
        I have more time than I have money. So for me, it make take several visits to the auction until I finally land a car I want. I just don't have any dealer friends.
        My uncle actually goes to all local auctions and resells the cars he purchases. He is one of the only trust-worthly mechanics in our area so people are constantly asking if he has any cars that he is selling. You actually have to bring a mechanic or be a mechanic to know if it is a good deal or not.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X