Venting- Need a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venting- Need a car

Sorry, maybe I should've posted this here, since I'm talking about a car.

Is it just me. But when it appears to be a little light at the end of the tunnel, darkeness tries to invade again. I take two steps forward, just to take four steps back. My objection for discharge was March 7th. Long story short, I'm awaiting discharge of my chapter 7. Why the heck, my 2000 Toyota Camry break downs on me. Yelp, right on I-20. I just got the oil changed too. Last year in October, I spend 580.00 getting the seals, timing belt and tune up. Had some oil leaks. She has 274,000 miles on her....PAID for. What's a girl to do. I let my house go in the bankruptcy, so the little money I have saved is for us to move.

I'm the only one working, due to hubby layoff. I don't want any new debt, but will need a car soon. Hopefully I can get a dependable car, that I can pay cash for, but that will wipe out my savings for the move. Today just isn't my day.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I will see how much it will cost to get repaired. Waiting for tow truck and my brotherly to pick up the hubby to come and get me.

274k is a lot of miles. Still, that's a very reliable and long lasting car so it may be worthwhile to fix and keep driving. It really depends on what is wrong with it.

Even if it's something big in the engine like a thrown rod, you may decide to buy a used engine and have it installed. If the car is otherwise is decent shape, why not?

Not sure what the issue is with the husband's job, but he may need to take a menial job just for some income to pay for a vehicle while he searches for a new job in his field. Minimum wage is a $7.25/hr raise over unemployed.
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

TXskyblue , I'm praying it's something minor. The car has some wear and tear, that visible. Needs a new windshield eventually, on two handles roll down, and the door handle is broken on the inside, driver door and the outside passenger door. But she runs good. That's why we were confused today when she stopped running. The hubby was doing day labor work, which is on and off. Something should happen for a permanent gig real soon. Just not interested in a car note.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

So, it's the motor. Need a new motor. Roughly, 1500.00 - 2000.00. Okay....I'm not going to panic. Let me think, but I have to have a dependable car.

Comment

So sorry to hear.
          We just went thru this with our Camry, replaced trans and 6 mos later it went again. finally junked it yesterday. IMHO crazy to throw more money into it.
          Let everyone you know know that you need something reasonably priced and reasonable reliable.
          Good luck.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
            So sorry to hear.
            We just went thru this with our Camry, replaced trans and 6 mos later it went again. finally junked it yesterday. IMHO crazy to throw more money into it.
            Let everyone you know know that you need something reasonably priced and reasonable reliable.
            Good luck.
            There are no guarantees, but if I were in OP's shoes I think I'd pay the 2K for a used motor.

I think the risk/reward ratio is good.
            Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

We are thinking about replacing the engine. We'll see how it goes. Not rushing, don't want to make an emotionally decision.

Comment

Whatever you dump into this car, make sure it is minimal.

I know someone who used to sell used cars to "marginal" folks. He would demand $1K down, and finance the rest, usually like $50/week. As long as the car was working, he knew that the buyer would be continue to pay. When a buyer stopped paying and he called up, it was always "it's stopped running, so I'm not making any more payments; come pick it up". Perhaps this type of situation would be an option for you - but with that said, $2K for a new engine (and some type of guarantee on that), if what you are saying about the rest of the car being good is accurate, that sounds like a decent situation as well.

It will great for most car owners when driverless cars come into existence. Folks will no longer need to have a car just to get around; the inevitable driverless taxis (which will have a price not much more than the cost to operate the car, since no taxi driver needs to be paid) will allow folks transportation for the "last mile" at the beginning & ending of any trip, and help create a huge market for intermediate mass transit that now is just not there (a car would still be needed for the last mile, and even then, it could only be used at the home "last mile").
                Last edited by joshuagraham; 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X