We did it!! Bought a house!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did it!! Bought a house!!

I haven't posted on here in a really long time. I didn't want to start a thread about buying our house until the final papers were signed. I do want to tell others though that it is possible.

As some of you know we had a bankruptcy that was discharged in August of 2008. We did not lose a house or have a foreclosure though. We were renters at the time.

After discharge we worked together on a financial plan. Sort of a where do we want to be 20 years from now. Things like, fully fund retirement, buy a house...the big stuff.

I set about reading everything I could on this board about how to request your credit reports and clean them up. Which I seemed to have to redo about every 3 months for the last two years (including one time last month). Then we applied for a credit card and charged only gas...which we paid off in full every month. We also did the same with a consumer card which was paid off again every month. This occurred over the last year and a half. In December we approached our Credit Union (who we did not file on) about getting a loan for a used car (I have some debt paranoia about cars so I was leery about spending too much). After what seemed like forever in underwriting they approved it. So we now had our installment loan. 3 lines of credit all paid on time every month.

In late July we went to a Realtor we knew and said, "here is the situation, we don't want to waste your time if purchasing a home is not possible". She was wonderful and told us to go talk to this mortgage company. We did and we were open and completely honest and told the bank everything. The bank was terrific. They sent our package all they way through underwriting so there would be no last minute ..."sorry you don't qualify" moments. We had anticipated looking for a house for a long time but a foreclosure fell on the market that was a great deal and well under our budget. (Again...back to my debt paranoia). We just closed on the house yesterday and we feel like we have learned a great deal about bankruptcy, debt as well as money management.

I wanted to share with you our experience so that if anyone was wondering if it could be done or not they have a firm answer (although everyone's situation is different).

I also believe "debt paranoia" is not a bad thing.
    Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
    DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
    Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
    Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

congrats!

Comment

Congratulations on buying your new home
      Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
      Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

That is great news for you! Congratulations. May I ask what type of mortgage financing did you obtain? Was it through a FHA? Again congrats!
        Chapter 13 filer since Feb. 2018 under a 60 months payment plan
        Please think positive and do not give up!

Comment

We were VA buyers. So no PMI. I know VA is 2 years post discharge but I don't know about FHA.
          DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]

Comment

CONGRATS!!!! These are the kind of stories that re-new my faith! We were able to keep our house through the BK but in a similar fashion are doing so many other things the right way now! It's so nice to be able to pay your bills ahead of time and save money for your kids education and your retirement. I only wish more people on here got the hint!
            New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

One thing others should know is that homeowners insurance is very high for 5 years after BK. I thought it was odd that we could buy a house after two but insurance was 5. So we did not escape completely unscathed.
              DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]

Comment

Thank you for sharing your uplifting story and for giving the rest of us some hope. I think that the FHA waiting time post bankruptcy is 2 yrs also, based on what I have been told.

Comment

Comment

Great job, i also believe local Credit Unions will grow stronger from the Huge Banks not giving a hoot about consumers. Hoping to follow in that same manner myself.

Posting some hope and reassurance to all of us.

Comment

That is great news. That's where I want to see myself in 2 yrs. I want a Home. We have never owned a home either. After all that we have gone through, I am honestly glad that we didn't own a home at the time of our BK filing. I plan on looking at homes about 2 months before the 2 yr. date, granted everything on our credit is looking great(I know that it will). We'll get an idea about the home we want, so we are fully prepared when we go in to speak with a loan officer. I am going to get pre qualified for a home with an amout before I seek a real estate agent. I think that will make the process flow smoother if we already have an approval. I think it would also make the real estate agent more eager to find us a home quickly, since they are in it to make money as well. Lucky for me I have 5 real estate agents on my friend list on facebook. One of my friends is a real estate attorney also, and he can get me the hook up with loan officers that he knows.
                      Chapter 7 filed 2/26/2010
                      341 meeting 4/18/2010
                      Discharged 6/14/2010-On our way back up the ladder from a rough patch.
                      FICO score goal by June 2011:720+

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X