top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting article on new FHA loan rules (proposed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article on new FHA loan rules (proposed)

FHA loans are easier to qualify for than the more popular conventional loan, but they’re not without drawbacks. Here’s a complete guide.
    Don
    Filed Pro Se on 8/4/11 (No Asset, Chapter 7)
    Redeemed Automobile ProSe (722 Redemption),Discharged on 11/3/11

The changes in monthly MIP and Upfront MIP are in effect right now. The net result is a higher monthly payment but a smaller down payment. The addition of credit score minimums is somewhat meaningless sincemost lenders wont go below a 620 anyway. Almost none go below 580.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh07 View Post
      The changes in monthly MIP and Upfront MIP are in effect right now. The net result is a higher monthly payment but a smaller down payment. The addition of credit score minimums is somewhat meaningless sincemost lenders wont go below a 620 anyway. Almost none go below 580.
      It will be interesting to see how the new manual underwriting flexibility plays out and whether it ends up helping or hurting people who filed bk.

Very few lenders will go below 620, and most expect to see some sort of positive credit history.
      You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
        Very few lenders will go below 620, and most expect to see some sort of positive credit history.
        I could be wrong, but I thought that they could not deny you for an FHA loan if you are within FHA guidelines. FHA guidelines require "positive credit history since BK or NO credit used since bankruptcy." They also allow scores to I believe 580. I thought that was the point of FHA loans. Regardless, you can find a lender if you fall within the guidelines.
        New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
          I could be wrong, but I thought that they could not deny you for an FHA loan if you are within FHA guidelines..
          In essence FHA guidelines are minimum lending standards for an FHA insurable loan. Lenders are allowed to have "overlays" on top of FHA guidelines. Most if not all lenders do not follow FHA guidelines and have tougher overlays. Most lenders I work with require a 640 score.

Comment

In essence FHA guidelines are minimum lending standards for an FHA insurable loan. Lenders are allowed to have "overlays" on top of FHA guidelines. Most if not all lenders do not follow FHA guidelines and have tougher overlays. Most lenders I work with require a 640 score.
            I totally agree with Ugh07. I talked with several brokers, wanting to understand what I needed to do to prepare for buying a house, and they told me that scores in the 620-640 range with a minimum of 3 current, active, positive trade lines were the minimum requirements most lenders will accept. Most lenders want to see 5 positive, current tradelines, a 640 mid score, and no unpaid active collection accounts. The governmental guidelines have little to do with what lenders want to accept. They want to see a positive credit history, especially in cases where there have been prior bankruptcies and foreclosures.

Comment

Bottom line, if you meet the guidelines you will get a loan. Look for another lender, because they would be stupid not to do a loan that met the requirements. They are insured (the point of an FHA loan) and they don't exactly have people beating down their doors for loans right now. Problem is, none of us meet the guidelines due to our BK being fresh. When I spoke to someone a few months back she told me she could do the loan that day if it weren't for the BK on my credit report. Everything else was perfect.
              New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Originally posted by backtoschool View Post
                Most lenders want to see 5 positive, current tradelines, a 640 mid score, and no unpaid active collection accounts. .
                Damn, I have not borrowed a dime since bk, have acredit scores around 650-680, BUT
                I can't think of 5 things I want enough to borrow money!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdfw View Post
                  Damn, I have not borrowed a dime since bk, have acredit scores around 650-680, BUT
                  I can't think of 5 things I want enough to borrow money!
                  Having positive tradelines does not mean you are "borrowing" money. You can have credit cards that you pay in full every month, a secured loan, etc. There are many ways to have positive tradelines without being in debt.

Comment

Thanks for sharing OP!! Very interesting to read!
                    Filed Chapter 7: 3-22-08
                    341 Meeting: 5-15-08 It went great!!!
                    Last day for objections: 7-14-08
                    Discharged and Closed: 7-21-08

Comment

Me either! You'll be just fine with those scores.

Comment

Originally posted by LSUTiger32 View Post
                        Bottom line, if you meet the guidelines you will get a loan. Look for another lender, because they would be stupid not to do a loan that met the requirements. They are insured (the point of an FHA loan) and they don't exactly have people beating down their doors for loans right now..
                        It's more a function of there not being appetite in the secondary market for FHA loans under a certain credit score right now. Just meeting the guidelines will not guarantee you a loan. FHA insurance does not cover all loses and even if it did there are no intermediaries packaging FHA loans under certain credit scores anyway. Investors are requiring a perceived higher quality loan.

Comment

It's more a function of there not being appetite in the secondary market for FHA loans under a certain credit score right now. Just meeting the guidelines will not guarantee you a loan. FHA insurance does not cover all loses and even if it did there are no intermediaries packaging FHA loans under certain credit scores anyway. Investors are requiring a perceived higher quality loan.
                          Once again it might not be easy but there are places to go to get these loans. Being honest.....yes, it is harder now for anyone to get a mortgage even those with spotless credit. However, that is not to say that it can't be done. It just takes more time and patience now.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X