Worst timing ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst timing ever!

Filing Ch. 7, no asset, already had the 341 and waiting. Have been renting in my current residence for nearly two years with a super cool landlord. A couple of weeks after we filed, our landlord said that he was selling the house and offered my husband and I first dibs. Talk about a conflict of emotions. Realistically, I knew it wasn't possible for us to score financing before we would even have our discharge. It's incredibly frustrating because the mortgage payment on this place would be less than our rent. Roll the property tax in there and it's only about $40 more per month.

This since Sunday: We talked to his realtor who seemed optimistic that we could find financing, then talked to a mortgage broker who said no way no how, then we decided that moving and renting was the only option, found a new place, did the rental application (which isn't going to look good for us in bk), and now just found out the owner wants to do an owner finance for us on the following terms: 10% down, %8 interest, make payments for 36 months at which time we need to get traditional lending. Total cost of the down payment plus those mortgage payments over 36 months: $49044, total cost of rent for 36 months $50220. I guess the difference is we'd be building equity instead of putting $$ in someone else's pocket. Plus it's feasible that I could find a cheaper rate say 25-27 months from discharge.

And fwiw, my credit was great until 12-14 months ago when everything went sideways and came tumbling down way too quick. I'm confident I can get a better rate at that time. Mr. bellows is thinking we should go ahead and move, but the numbers are slightly better in buying this place. Argh! What to do?!

You Do have good landlords. They must like you very much. If they can wait for your discharge I would not bring it up to anyone until close. Work a deal and worse case condition, you can't get a loan in 36 mos. then you just paid a nice person rent and you are no worse off. Take the chance. (My opinion). 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
      You Do have good landlords. They must like you very much. If they can wait for your discharge I would not bring it up to anyone until close. Work a deal and worse case condition, you can't get a loan in 36 mos. then you just paid a nice person rent and you are no worse off. Take the chance. (My opinion). 'Hub
      Agree in full. Hard to find any downside to accepting the LL's offer in this case.

-Rich
      Filed Chapter 7: 8/24/2010. Discharged: 12/01/2010
      Member and Exalted Grand Master: American Sarcasm Society (A.S.S.).

Comment

How would you be able to get the 10% down payment?

Comment

Update:
          mr. bellows and I decided against the house after all. Even though our landlord was doing us a huge favor, we felt backed into a corner by his terms, which were non-negotiable. Add to the fact that he wanted us to come up with the %10 down in a few weeks, which was not going to happen unless we stumbled across a money tree, we decided that it was a safer bet to rent elsewhere.

On the good side, we found and were approved for, a house with more than one bathroom. Hallelujah! I definitely appreciate 'Hub's and Rich's response to my dilemma. What an emotional rollercoaster this bk and house mess has been!

Comment

Bellowses...good news about the new place. I am in h3ll with only 1 bathroom, lol...and 3 teens! Wishing you good luck with the move; I know that is no fun, but I hope you are happy in your new place.
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X