top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost ready to start rebuilding, have questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost ready to start rebuilding, have questions.

I am going to start cleaning up my credit reports in a few months when my BK is discharged. I want to be sure I understand the process I need to take.

1) Start by getting all 3 of my reports. Is there some place recommended? A yearly subscription?

2) Dispute all incorrect reportings by certified mail to each of the CRA's. How long do they have to verify? Where do I get dispute letters?

3) If not verified in the proper time what do I do next?

4) Rinse/repeat until report is accurate.

5) I understand that I can file a motion to vacate a judgement for an unsecured loan that was discharged in BK. Any ideas where to get that form for Michigan? Should I just have my BK atty take care of that?

6) I have another suit that was filed to get the balance due on a repossesed auto. It is in bankruptcy stay right now. When it is discharged in the BK, how do I close out that case?

See my replies in red.....
    Originally posted by lostinmich View Post
    I am going to start cleaning up my credit reports in a few months when my BK is discharged. I want to be sure I understand the process I need to take.

1) Start by getting all 3 of my reports. Is there some place recommended? A yearly subscription?

You can go to annualcreditreport.com and you can look all 3 of your reports, print them out and go over them. It's free.

2) Dispute all incorrect reportings by certified mail to each of the CRA's. How long do they have to verify? Where do I get dispute letters?

I believe you can do this online with TransUnion and Equifax. I think Experian is by mail only, therefore certified letters. I recall you be being able to print out the dispute forms from their website (may have to go directly to that Credit Bureau's website).

3) If not verified in the proper time what do I do next?

Dispute it again, I guess.

4) Rinse/repeat until report is accurate.

Yes.

5) I understand that I can file a motion to vacate a judgement for an unsecured loan that was discharged in BK. Any ideas where to get that form for Michigan? Should I just have my BK atty take care of that?

6) I have another suit that was filed to get the balance due on a repossesed auto. It is in bankruptcy stay right now. When it is discharged in the BK, how do I close out that case?
    Anyone else care to expand?
    Bankruptcy History:
    Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
    Discharged - 02/16/2006
    Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

If you can afford it, this is widely condsidered the best deal among credit monitoring services. $11.21 a month for unlimited 3 bureau access with scores.

Comment

Lost -

Re # 5: The local court where the judgment is filed is where you have to start. Once the underlying debt is discharged, you can petition the court to have the judgment vacated/voided. Once that's done, it can come off your reports, although you may have to work with the cra's to have it removed. Some of mine came off automatically, others didn't.

Contact the local court for procedures. They may/maynot have a website with forms - a call or visit to the clerk's office will explain what you need to do. One last caveat - NOT ALL courts/states have procedures for this, it's a local thing.

Comment

Ok, I talked to my attorney after doing a lot of searching on the internet. Apparently, one only has 28 days to make motion to have a default judgment set aside or it becomes final. Does this mean I can't have it removed?

Just an update on what happened...

1) Was sued by credit union because I stopped paying on my line of credit loan. (Had decided to file bankruptcy)

2) Eventually sued by credit union.

3) Did not respond and a default judgment was obtained.

4) Garnishment filed and was started.

5) Filed BK and got back all monies from garnishment.

Now I would like to have the judgment vacated because the original amount is included in the BK. Do I have a chance? P.S. I'm in Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by FilingOnMyOwn View Post
            If you can afford it, this is widely condsidered the best deal among credit monitoring services. $11.21 a month for unlimited 3 bureau access with scores.

https://www.truecredit.com/orderOrig...ing&cb=WalMart
            http://www.annualcreditreport.com

I was looking for these two links as I contemplate starting clean-up. Any chance we can make this a sticky. Or is it already stuck somewhere and I missed it.
            Last edited by JollyGG; 03-08-2007, 09:15 AM.
            Filed: 10/26/2006
            Discharged: 03/05/2007
            Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

We have a thread that has been started (a sticky) where our members have provided links to important/good information and research.

Bankruptcy History:
              Discharged - 02/16/2006
              Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BassBoy View Post
                We have a thread that has been started (a sticky) where our members have provided links to important/good information and research.

http://bkforum.com/showthread.php?t=11356
                I did look there first.

I saw the annualcreditreport link but not the other. I didn't know if that was the right place for the link or not in any case as that is in the general bankruptcy section and these would be links more specific to the rebuilding section.

Comment

Well, it is a newer thread that has links for members.....in order to compile them into one place. I guess those links can be elsewhere as well. There really is no right or wrong here. I guess if you find a good source for information, you can always place it under the proper section. Or we can simply take the link FOMO posted and post it under the thread we already have. Doesn't really matter.
                  Bankruptcy History:
                  Discharged - 02/16/2006
                  Case Closed - 11/08/2007

Comment

Well I already pulled the links I need out of this thread.

If the "members links" post is a better place for it. That works for me. As I mentioned I thought about placing it there after I did my search but just wasn't sure it that was the right place for it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X