top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apply for C.C. now or after BK discharge ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apply for C.C. now or after BK discharge ?

I tried looking through forum for answer but couldn't exactly find it. My question is, can I go ahead and try to obtain a credit card before my 341 meeting/discharge or should I wait for everything to be over and then try and apply for one. Reason I'm asking is, I figure right now things are still in early stages and maybe I can land a card w/out all those monthly/yearly fees that follow when you try to apply for CC after BK discharge. I have no intention of using this card until after my BK is discharged, and I'm only looking for one card to help my rebuild my history, when time comes for rebuilding to start. My old CC are all cut up, I don't even have anything that looks like a CC in house right now. As much as I don't want to even touch one anymore, I understand I might need one in future when trying to buy things or rent things (car rental, etc). So, to cut this short, should I try it now or is too already too late with BK being filed ? Thanks for the long read.
    March 13, 2008 - Chapter 7 filed.
    April 15, 2008 - 341 Meeting.
    June 16, 2008 - Deadline for objections
    June 20, 2008 - Case closed!

I waited a few months until after my discharge.

But at the time I filed BK my credit rating was SO bad that I never would have been approved for a card anyway. At least a year prior all my cards were stopped by my creditors; it had been that long since I used credit. Not of my choice; I simply had NO credit available to me nor could I be approved for any new credit.
    Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
    341 Meeting July 19, 2007
    Discharged September 17, 2007
    Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

Legally you are not supposed to apply for any new credit until you are discharged.

It is suggested that the new debt could technically be included in the bankruptcy and then you have fraud on your hands.
      BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

Originally posted by tinroofrusted View Post
        Legally you are not supposed to apply for any new credit until you are discharged.
        Do you have a link or other reference to law supporting this?
        Filed Ch7 3/6/08 [X]
        341 hearing 4/10/08 [X]
        Last day for Objections 6/9/08 [X]
        Discharge AND Closed 6/23/08 [X]

Comment

I hate to sound like a wet blanket, but the OP just filed, hasn't had his 341 yet, and is already thinking about more credit?

While I'm not naive enough to think that we'll never need/use credit again, the wife and I are in no hurry to rush back on that merry-go-round. Everybody has their own reasons for filing, but what I do know is that with us going 100% cash and carry (albeit with a debit card from our checking/savings account), we have much more control over our spending, and even though we trust our judgement more now than ever, why would we want to consider giving ourselves that temptation if we didn't need to?

I'm sorry all, I don't mean to sound accusatory. I know we're all friends here and trying to support one another, but I just can't for the life of me understand why some want to "tap dance on the razor blade" that landed them here in the first place.

Take it for what it's worth.
          Filed Ch 7: 12/27/07
          341: 2/6/08
          Discharged: 4/11/08
          Finally closing: ???

Comment

The first step in rebuliding credit is to review your credit file from the three CRAs and make sure it is correct. Next get one or two low fee secured cards and keep them current by paying off the balances each month.
            After six months of payments them check your FICO scores. If they are over 650 you are now getting ready to apply for your first unsecured CC.
            GOOD LUCK.
            regards,
            emoney

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X