Approved for a new cell phone today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approved for a new cell phone today!

New deposit and a free camera phone from Verizon!
    BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Did you have to sign a contract? When you're trying to get out of debt or stay out of debt, incurring new debt isn't necessarily a good thing.

A pre-paid cell phone plan for emergencies only is just ~$10 a month, and there's no contract.

Comment

Well, since a land line phone is much more expensive, and less convenient, we use our cell phones at our house for our "everything" phones. They go with you everywhere, they have plans that are appropriate for the user, etc. I was able to get a contract, and a free phone.

I don't look at this as debt, Lighting. I look at is as being able to get a SERVICE, that I wasn't able to get a year ago.
      BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

In some cases a cell phone in place of a land line is cheaper, but you are still incurring debt if you signed a contract. A land line does not require a contract and can be terminated at any time without penalty. With a cell phone contract, you are committed to paying a set amount every month for 1-2 years. If you cancel before that, you have to pay a penalty. That's a debt.

Make the best financial decision for you and your family. If a cell phone contract is best, congratulations on getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
          In some cases a cell phone in place of a land line is cheaper, but you are still incurring debt if you signed a contract. A land line does not require a contract and can be terminated at any time without penalty. With a cell phone contract, you are committed to paying a set amount every month for 1-2 years. If you cancel before that, you have to pay a penalty. That's a debt.

Make the best financial decision for you and your family. If a cell phone contract is best, congratulations on getting one.
          Well, I guess I am looking at this very very differently than you. I would rather pay a penalty (if I even ever have to) and have convenience than to pay for a landline phone.

Most service providers are making you sign contracts now. Whether it be a landline phone, cable service, or whatever. It's really no different.

Comment

Cell phones are a necessity now. No longer a convenience. Just go to the dry cleaner and ask to use the phone.
            "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I've never had to sign a 1-2 year contract for cable, land line phone, or any other utility.

As I said, if this is the best financial decision for your family, then you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I think contracts for unnecessary services are not good financial moves. You're tied to a monthly payment you cannot get out of without losing money.

If you're just getting out of bankruptcy, you should avoid any type of debt unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

I've never had to sign a 1-2 year contract for cable, land line phone, or any other utility.

As I said, if this is the best financial decision for your family, then you have nothing to worry about. Personally, I think contracts for unnecessary services are not good financial moves. You're tied to a monthly payment you cannot get out of without losing money.

If you're just getting out of bankruptcy, you should avoid any type of debt unless absolutely necessary.
                First of all, I don't have a family. No kids, no husband, no parents. I have ME to take care of, and that's it. I work TWO jobs, and make more than $2500.00 a month. I have ONE credit card... that's it. I personally work very hard and I want to have a few things. Including cable, and cable internet (which I did have to sign a one year contract for) and I wanted cell phone service that works better than my old provider.

I filed bankruptcy SOLELY because my ex-husband wracked up several thousand dollars in credit cards in my name, and there was nothing I could do about it. Not because I am some worthless bum who can't pay her bills. I haven been out of bankruptcy for almost a year now.

No offense here, but a lot of what you're saying sounds like Dave Ramsey stuff, and I just don't buy it. And I find it highly offensive that you are so willing to judge people that you don't even know.

Comment

I'm offering advice. That's it. I don't have any debt, and I believe I have something to offer here. I'm sharing information with you which has helped me financially. A cellular contract doesn't help me. If it's the best financial choice for you, then that's good. Do whatever works to keep your expenses and debt low.

I've not heard of a cable internet company that required a contract. Many DSL services do, but I don't know of cable companies that do.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting things like broadband and a cell phone. You just have to be able to pay for it. Set your priorities and work out your budget. If those things fit while still being able to save money, go for it.

And I have no idea who Dave Ramsey is.

Comment

Lightining - alot of what you say does sound like Dave Ramsey, you should check it out - he talks about living a life credit-free. Not so bad for the most part.

I'm taking with the cell being a necessity - where I'm from landlines are WAY more expensive and I've opted for a cell-phone only as well. I signed an initial contract for a year and now am on a month to month basis.

Comment

tinroofrusted,
                      Did you say you had to wait a year before getting your new cell service? My Verizon contract ends in Feb 2006 and I wanted to switch to Spring (better service in my area). I'm wondering if I should even try to get a new contract in Feb of next year, I hate rejections. My discharge was in April of this year.
                      I just got a cable modem and I'm looking into "Vonage", a phone service which goes through your cable line "only $24.99" anywere in the US plus coller ID and voice mail... You can even keep your existing pone and your current phone number.
                      Edyta...
                      Discharged April 2005

Comment

That's wierd, where i am a land line is $32.79 permonth from Bellsouth, taxes includd. I guess we're so used to getting hammered for a buck here that I didn't realize that phone service was cheaper. I have used calling cards for long distance since 1999. in fact we lost the card but still use the original 1999 ATT numbers, just refill them.

We have three Cell phones, we need them. After Columbine and 9/11 and other incidents I am convinced that Cell Phones save lives. Broward County Schools allow them now.

DSL or Broadband, I firmly hold these also to be needs. Yes, they are down on the tier of necessities but are necessary for work and school. I honestly haven't calculated but I really save gas and time and wear and tear with my DSL. I've had it since 99'.

When I was working nites someone came for training at our facility. This was a fellow we all knew well and who had been making more than $25.00 an hour for many years. He asked JUST when I was headed out to Taco Bell (half hour paid lunch, MAJOR no-no to bug us at this time) to "borrow" my Cell Phone. I asked him, "don't you carry your phone?". "I don't have a Cell". I'll never forget everyone wondering what kind of moron runs around Miami at 3am without a Cell. In our job it is not necessary to have one but is heavily implied that you should by virtue of memos telling you what to do in case of radio failure etc...
                        Last edited by robivi3; 08-23-2005, 03:22 AM.
                        "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

I'm offering advice. That's it. I don't have any debt, and I believe I have something to offer here. I'm sharing information with you which has helped me financially. A cellular contract doesn't help me. If it's the best financial choice for you, then that's good. Do whatever works to keep your expenses and debt low.

I've not heard of a cable internet company that required a contract. Many DSL services do, but I don't know of cable companies that do.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting things like broadband and a cell phone. You just have to be able to pay for it. Set your priorities and work out your budget. If those things fit while still being able to save money, go for it.

And I have no idea who Dave Ramsey is.
                          Lighting, the problem is, is that I didn't ask you for your information. I have been through the Bankruptcy (if you'll go back and see why), and am well on my way to living the life that I feel I should. I find it highly offensive that you would offer unsolicited advice like this, especially when I feel as if you are belittling me while doing so.

I am taking care of ME, and right now that's all I care about. I have food in my tummy, money in the bank, a roof over my head and for the first time in my life, I have a few nice things that I am proud of. If I were to die tomorrow, no one would benefit from me having thousands of dollars saved up. I have a life insurance policy through work, so trust me, I am all set for the time being.

My priorites are VERY straight, thanks anway.And for the record, I have been on a budget for over four years now. The Bankruptcy, again, was something out of my control, and something that I don't feel I was responsible for.

Comment

Originally posted by EdytaHome
                            tinroofrusted,
                            Did you say you had to wait a year before getting your new cell service? My Verizon contract ends in Feb 2006 and I wanted to switch to Spring (better service in my area). I'm wondering if I should even try to get a new contract in Feb of next year, I hate rejections. My discharge was in April of this year.
                            I just got a cable modem and I'm looking into "Vonage", a phone service which goes through your cable line "only $24.99" anywere in the US plus coller ID and voice mail... You can even keep your existing pone and your current phone number.

I just did because my service contract was up with my other provider, and I wanted to switch. I have heard that other providers run from generous to people who file, to downright hateful. I have heard of companies like Nextel requiring a $1000.00 deposit for those who have filed BK.

Just look into it. I kept my phone number from my previous provider, and love the new service.

Comment

Yay tinroofrusted!!!! Congrats!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X