just letting the debt go!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just letting the debt go!!!!

I know this may sound crazy or stupid, but what could happen if I jus let my debt go as it is? I already have gone over a year without paying my cards, they are all in collection now as well. We never did and still dont answer our home phone so the phone calls are not a problem (I am hardly ever here anyways).

Won't the debt that I just walked away from simply fall off of my credit report after 7 years anyways, compared to 10 for BK?

Also, which looks worse, really, in the scheme of things? A BK on your credit report and having to say yes when asked by a potential employer (like the government) if you ever filed for BK or just letting the debt go and wishing it away?

I just recently applied for a job with the SBA (small business administration) processing loans due to hurrican Katrina. I did not get it because of my credit report- otherwise I was very qualified for the job. Now, what looks worse? If I had discharged those debts last year let's say versus letting them go, would the SBA have looked more favorably upon seeing a BK versus the charge offs and collection accounts that they saw? When a company, etc, sees a BK on a credit report, do they see the actual amounts that were discharged or only that there was a BK?

Thanks for any input and sorry for the long post....

quase

Technically they could try to garnish your wages, and things of that nature if they want their money bad enough........

You might want to think about that.
    BUSY running my own credit repair services! Sorry I don't stop in so often any more!

Comment

Old debt can come back to haunt you, and that makes you a credit risk almost permanently. (Creditors can get a judgement against you, which can lead to garnishment of wages. Judgements can be renewed, which means the 7 year rule doesn't matter.)
      Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

So then, at the end of the day, it is better to have the BK on your credit report than to just let time go by and HOPE that nothing happens. I just assumed that after 7 years the debt would 'drop off' of my credit report and that would be the better scenario.

Just to let everyone know, I AM NOT FRETTING SO MUCH AS IT MAY SEEM OVER MY CREDIT SCORE. LIKE I READ HERE SOMEWHERE, LIFE IS NOT JUST ABOUT A D@#N CREDIT SCORE. BUT, MY BAD CREDIT HAS ALREADY COME BACK TO HAUNT ME WHEN I APPLIED WITH THE GOVERNMENT 2 WEEKS AGO.

This is why i am concerned about my credit score/report and what it contains. Thanks again for your great posts and help.....

quase
        Last edited by quase; 09-28-2005, 08:34 AM. Reason: update questions

Comment

The benefit of BK is it closes out the old, and allows you to start fresh w/ no old ghosts to haunt you. The ignore-and-hope-they-go-away may work, but it may not. And, if that doesn't work and you file BK 2-3 years down the road, you're starting over when you could have been 2-3 years post BK.

No one can tell if you SHOULD file BK. But, one thing that is certain is there is some positive in filing.
          Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X