No announcement yet.

Recommended Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Used to be pinkpeanut01 and have been here for 3 years, but my user name/pwd has been lost.)

Got a new card last week. Approved for Discover IT. Credit score is in the upper 600s, TU 682 last time I had a real credit report pulled by a lender. Credit limit is $1,500. I applied online but was not automatically approved, so I figured it was declined. They called me a few hours later to ask when my BK was discharged. It was April 2012. She asked me when it was filed. I told her 2011. She said, "Congratulations! You're approved!" Leads me to believe they wanted a certain length of time post-discharge before they'll approve?

Here's a rundown of what I have since discharge:
    - CapOne - Unsecured. Started with $1,000 CL within the first year of my discharge. Auto increased to $1,500. 10-month intro 0% APR, now at 25%. Set up to auto-pay my cell phone bill, so now I pay my card off every month instead of just paying the cell phone company.
    - Barclay - Unsecured. Started with $2,500 CL 1-1/2 years post-discharge. 0% intro APR for 6 months, just increased to 25%. Auto CL increase to $5,500 last week after paying off $1,000 balance. (This card is used for our Girl Scouts troop, and I had made two large purchases for trips and then paid it off within the same month once I collected money from our troop. I guess Barclay liked that!)
    - Discover IT - Unsecured. $1,500 CL. 0% APR for 14 months, then 23%.

- Kohl's - Survived BK, but CL cut from $3,000 to $2,000. No idea what the APR is, as I pay it off in full when used, usually to get the % off deals.
    - Toys 'R Us - $600 CL. No idea what the APR is. Opened to get discount when doing Christmas shopping. Paid it off right then and haven't used it since. Probably should use it so they don't close it.
    - JC Penney - $800 CL. Opened to get 20% off on back-to-school shopping. Gets paid off in full at the same time it is used, which is rarely.
    - Dell Financial - Survived BK with $5,000 CL.

Total non-store CLs approaching two-year discharge anniversary: $8,500
    Total store CLs: $8,400

The big difference between now and when I got in trouble is now I am terrified to use credit unless I know 100% it is being paid off within the month! I am done with cards now and have no need to apply for anymore.

Have been declined by CareCredit and Amazon CC since discharge.

Comment

My Chapter 13 BK was discharged at the end of July. I applied for a Barclays card (for Apple financing) in August and was denied. I called the reconsideration line and was denied again. Instead of applying with other companies and risking a report hit for a denial, I decided to open a secured card through USAA. I sent $500 in and I'm hoping that this will help my credit score rise in the next few months.

I've received literally dozens of letters for what are basically horribly shitty credit offers with just awful terms. I'm hoping that I can qualify for quality credit offers again. Prior to my bankruptcy I had really quality cards with great rewards and whatnot. I miss them!

Is there anyone out there in a similar situation?

Comment

Bummer, did you try CapOne?

USAA's secured credit card will look good on your credit report, but be aware of two things: 1. You can never raise your credit limit. It will be $500 forever. Most places allow you to send more money and increase it. Not USAA.
        2. USAA does no unsecure/graduate. Even if you end up with perfect credit reports and a credit score of 850, they will never release your funds. If you want an unsecured card with USAA, you must apply for a brand new card and then you can close your secured card. This means you will lose valuable age on your account.

If you qualify for USAA, you likely qualify for NFCU. I have nothing but good things to say about NFCU and their secured credit card.
        Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X