Boat loan after bk... interesting info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat loan after bk... interesting info

So I surrendered my 99 Four Winns Vista (26') in my ch7 bk, discharged in April. I filed because I had no health insurance and two very pricey procedures. I would've filed if I had the boat or not... the old payment was under $200 a month anyways.

Big bummer, I am totally lost and have been all summer!! Especially since I live on the water. I know, I know... I coped and found other things to do, but curiousity did kill the cat today.

My credit scores have been progressively moving upward since April, at which time I received my first post-bk credit card. I dont keep a balance and pay off whatever I put on each month (usually $50-$100). My credit scores went from the 400's to a nice rosy 630, when I checked experian yesterday. Thats 6 months from discharge to now.

I have been pre-approved for car loans through cap. one, and my credit union. I dont need a car though - I paid cash for a reliable low mileage Envoy that I love. But it made me wonder - why can I get approved for $20,000 in car loans but not a boat loan, which for a used boat like the one I used to have - is around $20,000 anyways?

Called my credit union and was pre-approved over the phone! The loan officer said they dont care so much about the bk, but more about my FICO score now, how much Ive re-established my credit since discharge, and how many accounts I have with them (I happen to have a CD, savings, and checking acct with them.) She said a score of 630, a solid job (Ive been here 12 years) and credit cards being paid on time, with some post bk history and BAM, Im approved for 8.5%. Which for a recreational vehicle, isnt super bad!!

With that being said, I wonder what everybody else has found out there - whether it is a boat loan, RV loan, ATV loan... what happened after bk with you? Did you apply and get approved/denied? Is my credit union experience out of the ordinary?
    Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
    Discharged 4-17-09!!!
    Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
    "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

What credit union do you have....lol. Usually credit unions are super strict when it comes to bk's. I'm honestly surprised to hear that you were approved for an auto loan but in any event congrats. I think the reason why it might be harder to get a boat loan might be because a boat is not really a necessity where as a car would be. I dunno though.
    Discharged 6/23/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X