No Card for me yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Card for me yet

I was discharged in Aug. 2009. To say it has been easy would not be a true statement. Don't get me wrong, I am so relieved to have the debt behind me. I am still struggleing but have decided even though I am getting offers, I have not sent one in yet for even a secured card.

I just keep cutting back and learn to live on cash. After several months of not paying the payment on the Harley that my BF and I bought together and was included in my BK, I think he has finally come to the realization that I came to a long time ago, we can't afford the bike. He had continued making the payments and then he would say to me months when he didn't have the money that we needed to get the payment in. I just flat told him that we had to have fuel for work, and food on the table, what did he want to do without then. So far after a couple missed payments no HD at the door yet.

I still have a ways to go but am getting there. At some point I may decide to get another credit card but I am making myself learn how to live on cash.
    Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
    341 Meeting 6/5/09
    Discharged 8/5/09
    Case Closed 8/6/09

Originally posted by jb300 View Post
    I was discharged in Aug. 2009. To say it has been easy would not be a true statement. Don't get me wrong, I am so relieved to have the debt behind me. I am still struggleing but have decided even though I am getting offers, I have not sent one in yet for even a secured card.

I just keep cutting back and learn to live on cash. After several months of not paying the payment on the Harley that my BF and I bought together and was included in my BK, I think he has finally come to the realization that I came to a long time ago, we can't afford the bike. He had continued making the payments and then he would say to me months when he didn't have the money that we needed to get the payment in. I just flat told him that we had to have fuel for work, and food on the table, what did he want to do without then. So far after a couple missed payments no HD at the door yet.

I still have a ways to go but am getting there. At some point I may decide to get another credit card but I am making myself learn how to live on cash.
    JB3: To date you have made no err. The one you are contemplating would be your first. Why do you need the drug that got you into this "fix"?

Mrs. and I will not even check our credit. We need none. We have no credit card now, only household expenses all paid cash (debit card) as if the money is not there, we not only do not need it, it is our poor planning and we shall suffer through.

You don't know our story, and I'm not telling it again. We in a short statement were worth above 10 mil on paper at one time. We are bk7 and have NEVER been happier. Learn the priorities of life and forget the credit. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I am sure you are right and I don't know that I will get that card. I have not checked the credit report at all yet. Christmas was tough and I bought very few things. I made a lot of gifts from things around the house.

I sew and quilt so I made photo memory wall hangings for the kids and my mom. I saw it online and figured out how to make it. I did the same thing with a doll house. We had some lumber here from redoing my house and I had my BF make 2 doll houses for our 2 younger granddaughters. Then I took fabric that I already had and put that in some of the rooms for carpet and printed out wallpaper and wood flooring and put that in other rooms.

Due to some terrible weather here in the midwest for Christmas they have not received them yet but after they do I am going to try to sell them(the wall hangings) for some more money. I also made some blue jean denim purses, again from jeans that were given to me. These also I could use to make some money. I guess I need to clarify this, I want them to help me by showing people theirs and then I can sew them for other people hopefully.

So I am trying to come up with some ways to make extra money as well as cut my living expenses.
      Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
      341 Meeting 6/5/09
      Discharged 8/5/09
      Case Closed 8/6/09

Comment

I admire your plan to stay cash and keep a budget. I agree, its the best way to stay out of debt. Congratulations, may your future remain bright.
        Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
        Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I am sure you are right and I don't know that I will get that card. I have not checked the credit report at all yet. Christmas was tough and I bought very few things. I made a lot of gifts from things around the house.

I sew and quilt so I made photo memory wall hangings for the kids and my mom. I saw it online and figured out how to make it. I did the same thing with a doll house. We had some lumber here from redoing my house and I had my BF make 2 doll houses for our 2 younger granddaughters. Then I took fabric that I already had and put that in some of the rooms for carpet and printed out wallpaper and wood flooring and put that in other rooms.

Due to some terrible weather here in the midwest for Christmas they have not received them yet but after they do I am going to try to sell them(the wall hangings) for some more money. I also made some blue jean denim purses, again from jeans that were given to me. These also I could use to make some money. I guess I need to clarify this, I want them to help me by showing people theirs and then I can sew them for other people hopefully.

So I am trying to come up with some ways to make extra money as well as cut my living expenses.
          FANTASTIC, JB3. Christmas is not about gifts. It is about love, and the real reason for the Season, no matter what Faith you are.

The gifts you made are worth much more in 'love' than you could buy from WallyWorld made in China, junk.

This is the "Olde Tyme" type of thing to do, and I am afraid what you have learned to do, will be learned by many others if our economy keeps going under as it is.

Not only did you save money, recycle stuff, but you learned as well as entertained yourself. Do you see how much better that is than running down to the dollar store with green paper and wrapping up junk?

You are a very bright person for improvising as you have. I loudly applaud you. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I agree about Christmas being about love and not the gifts. Seriously I wish more people understood that. In a way I almost think it would be good for more people to have to learn this lesson. Our country has gotten way too commercialized at the holidays.

The kids starting out now in their 20's want everything that we have had to work for and they expect it to be given to them or want it now. This is one reason why my BF's son moved back in with us. He can't save any money to get his own place because he spends every cent he makes as soon as he gets it. He doesn't want to get a second job to supplement when the business is slow. So what may have to happen is that me at 51 with a chronic illness that will impact me and what I can find for a job, may have to go get another job in the evenings to supplement our income because the extra that it is taking to have him here with us and driving him places,since he doesn't have a drivers license and car because he doesn't want the expenses. He is 21 now.

I am bound and determined though that I am not getting that card to make it easier on everyone here. When I had to file BK due in part to some of the stupid decisions that have been made just because they didn't want to wait for something. Well those days are over. Just like the Harley going away, they may have to sacrifice other things too.
            Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
            341 Meeting 6/5/09
            Discharged 8/5/09
            Case Closed 8/6/09

Comment

I do not want to "rebuild" our credit ....
              is it wrong?
              we have been living on cash only for the past year,and it feels great...
              filed chap 7 pro se 09/15/09
              341 meeting 10/19/09 continued
              2nd 341 meeting 11/09/09 concluded
              discharged : 12/21/09 closed :01/08/10

Comment

I actually plan to get a secured one in the near future, only because I feel I need my score to be well above 700 again. Even though we are strictly on a cash system right now, at some point, we "may" buy a home in a few years. The other options are to continue a ride-thru forever or go to renting (shrug). One never knows what the future holds.

One discouraging post I read recently was about a couple who had excellent scores because they used a single CC and always paid it. Even so, they were rejected a loan because they did not have "enough" credit. Go figure... so, it seems people have to float around 3 cards. The system is screwed up.
                Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
                  I actually plan to get a secured one in the near future, only because I feel I need my score to be well above 700 again. Even though we are strictly on a cash system right now, at some point, we "may" buy a home in a few years. The other options are to continue a ride-thru forever or go to renting (shrug). One never knows what the future holds.

One discouraging post I read recently was about a couple who had excellent scores because they used a single CC and always paid it. Even so, they were rejected a loan because they did not have "enough" credit. Go figure... so, it seems people have to float around 3 cards. The system is screwed up.
                  At one time, our score was 820. Now that isn't shabby is it? Before Mrs. and I married, she was turned down on a crummy 10K mobile home to put on our 266 acres on the river, no debt on the land, so we could live on the land while our new house went up. You figure.

BTW, I will not check my credit as I will not be using any of it at all. 'Hub

Comment

I agree about Christmas being about love and not the gifts. Seriously I wish more people understood that. In a way I almost think it would be good for more people to have to learn this lesson. Our country has gotten way too commercialized at the holidays.

The kids starting out now in their 20's want everything that we have had to work for and they expect it to be given to them or want it now. This is one reason why my BF's son moved back in with us. He can't save any money to get his own place because he spends every cent he makes as soon as he gets it. He doesn't want to get a second job to supplement when the business is slow. So what may have to happen is that me at 51 with a chronic illness that will impact me and what I can find for a job, may have to go get another job in the evenings to supplement our income because the extra that it is taking to have him here with us and driving him places,since he doesn't have a drivers license and car because he doesn't want the expenses. He is 21 now.

I am bound and determined though that I am not getting that card to make it easier on everyone here. When I had to file BK due in part to some of the stupid decisions that have been made just because they didn't want to wait for something. Well those days are over. Just like the Harley going away, they may have to sacrifice other things too.

JB3, I'm not going to preach or lecture you. You are NOT helping that lazy man/boy. You are aiding and abetting him. There is what is known as tough love. If you want that kid to grow up, kick him out. Tell him to buy a moped or bicycle to get around. The easier you make it, the more he will go wrong, and you haven't seen anything yet. I have experience in the family and in some counseling and I know what I'm talking about.

Remember. This is only my opinion.
                    'Hub

Comment

You are NOT helping that lazy man/boy. You are aiding and abetting him. There is what is known as tough love. If you want that kid to grow up, kick him out. Tell him to buy a moped or bicycle to get around. The easier you make it, the more he will go wrong, and you haven't seen anything yet.
                      You are not telling me something that I don't know, believe me but there is no way his father, my BF, will throw him out. On more than one ocassion I have said you are doing him no favors to keep doing this and you need to be a parent and not a buddy.

I can only hope that the next few months when work picks up that his dad will start making him save so he can get his own place. Right now we live in a town of less than 150 people and are about 18 miles from the nearest town.
                      Filed 5/11/09 Chapter 7
                      341 Meeting 6/5/09
                      Discharged 8/5/09
                      Case Closed 8/6/09

Comment

I would totally promote going all cash the first year out of discharge. It gives things time to settle & you learn how to budget for the things you need. In the second year, getting a card would be a positive thing to use for gas and or keep it to an amount which you are comfortable with; everyone's amounts vary.

I will three years out of discharge & I don't even know what my credit score really is...I never paid to get it & don't plan on it either.

Have three cards. I don't believe in not having credit available in the case of an emergency and you will need it to rebuild a credit background which cash will not apply.
                        Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                        Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

Originally posted by StartingOver08 View Post
                          I admire your plan to stay cash and keep a budget. I agree, its the best way to stay out of debt. Congratulations, may your future remain bright.
                          Here is one thing I can tell you (my 2cents). I have been discharged for almost 2yrs and not one credit card. EVERYTHING has been cash which is not easy but can be done!!! I have kept my house, autos and even allow my wife to be a stay-at-home mom so trust me when I say this is not easy.
                          But let me flip this a bit. I am currently in the market of looking for a house and pulled my credit rating. I am around the high 650's and I could easiy be in the 680's - 690's if I had a small revolving credit card with something like $250 - $500 on it. Yes I had my mortgage ($2600), auto ($450) and student loan ($560) but I was told (and I knew) I should get something small and keep paying it off as we go.

So yes, like you I went and done well with no card - and I recommend it to anyone fresh out of BK. But there is absolutely nothing wrong getting a small $250 max card and using it to build your credit.

Just be smart and dont give in when they increase it to $500 +
                          Filed: 01/23/08
                          341 Meeting: 02/29/08
                          Discharged: 04/30/08
                          Closed: 05/12/08

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X