Need a good credit card for rebuilding.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good credit card for rebuilding.

I know there is a sticky about this topic, and I'm really sorry about starting a new topic. I went through every page of the sticky and its alot of flaming. I couldn't really figure out if people were recommending or not recommending certain cards. I need an unsecured card. Any advice ? Thanks.

spid77

Capital One seems to be a good card for rebuilding....Int rate is not great, but after bk7 great wont come around for a while....
    pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
    filed ch7 6-12
    341 7-25
    Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

Other than needing it for renting a car, why not learn to go 'cash only'? It is painful, but can be done.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I filed in NOV and closed in March. I got my first CAP 1 card in Sept. I needed one for hotel after I used debit card for while traveling and the hotel put a hold on $300.00 for "potential costs". Which made me mad because my employer was covering the hotel and I was responsible for "incidentals"..

Comment

I tried those 'pre-approved' offers at both Orchards and -------(ugh, can't remember the name right now!), but all they offered me was secured cards. I tried Capital One and was approved for an unsecured card with a $500 limit about two weeks after I was discharged I applied for my hubby and he was approved for a card with a $1000 limit There was an annual fee, but the interest rate wasn't too bad . That's all we need, we charge little things and pay the bill right away.
          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Capital One and/or Hooters are most likely your best unsecured options. Otherwise, try a credit union.
            CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
            341 Meeting 4/7/2009
            Discharged 7/10/2009
            Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Definitely Cap One. I tried for HSBC, but they denied me due to the bankruptcy. I've seen where people who've included them have gotten HSBC again, but I think it depends on whether or not you paid them or not before filing. For me, I had deferred payments and never did pay on the laptop I bought through HP.

The one thing about Cap One that's slightly annoying - once you get in with them, they'll keep sending you offers. I had to finally call to get them to stop, since I didn't need another card. I did find out I could apply for a second different card if I wanted. I declined, but I am considering switching the card I do have to a rewards card.
              sigpic
              Filed - 11/19/08;341 - 12/22/08
              Discharged - 2/23/09 ;Closed - 3/6/09
              Got my first post BK credit line - car loan - 4/9/09 On my way to recovery.

Comment

I needed a credit card for business travel, car rentals, hotels, etc. Otherwise i want to stay cash only so about 2 weeks after discharge i got a couple offers, 1 from cap1 unsecured with a $39.00 annual fee, and 1 from hsbc unsecured with no annual fee. I applied online to hsbc seeing they offered no annual fee and they gave me $1000 limit with something like a 16% interest rate. I really don't care what the interest rate is as I don't plan on carrying a balance, I think Cat is right, better to stay cash only, just needed this for travel expenses. I'm now working on saving an emergency fund, I want to use cash for emergencies, not Credit.
                Filed Chapter 7 (no Asset) - Sept 2009
                341 Meeting - Oct, 2009 (Converted to Asset Case)
                DISCHARGED - Dec. 2009
                $1500 Buy Back & 67% Of Tax Refund Surrendered

Comment

Won't help in the long run

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
                  Other than needing it for renting a car, why not learn to go 'cash only'? It is painful, but can be done.
                  We were cash only--even opened and conducted a business with savings and only trade lines of credit. (That is: you get the supplies and pay it off 30/60/90.)

For years and years.

If we needed equipment we saved for it and purchased used when we could afford it. Same thing for cars, clothes, etc.

When we finally needed credit because we wanted to buy a house, we discovered we had no credit score at all! It was like we didn't exist.

People react to you very strangely when you have no score at all, not even a bad one!

The good part is we have no debt, but now we have to start from scratch, like newly weds, to build up credit. I can't even get a Kohl's card. I don't need it, just want to build up my score!

Be smart and don't depend on credit, but use it as a tool to provide what you need for your future.

Comment

The whole credit scoring system is corrupt.
                    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Filed 5/12/09
                      341 6/11/09
                      discharged 8/11/09
                      Closed 8/14/09

Comment

Business travel (if you get reimbursed quickly by your employer) is a good reason to have a small card. Don't pay too much attention to those saying "You don't need a card, just bury your money in a shoe.". I'm guessing they don't have work-related expenses.

My wife has a $500 CapOne. I'm getting a $500 Orchard Bank in a few days. I'll buy a couple things, pay them off, the probably not use the card again unless I travel.

Comment

I can't get capital one to save my life but I have a Hooters card that I love and a best buy platinum visa from hsbc.
                          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
                          Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by nevergiveup View Post
                            We were cash only--even opened and conducted a business with savings and only trade lines of credit. (That is: you get the supplies and pay it off 30/60/90.)

For years and years.

If we needed equipment we saved for it and purchased used when we could afford it. Same thing for cars, clothes, etc.

When we finally needed credit because we wanted to buy a house, we discovered we had no credit score at all! It was like we didn't exist.

People react to you very strangely when you have no score at all, not even a bad one!

The good part is we have no debt, but now we have to start from scratch, like newly weds, to build up credit. I can't even get a Kohl's card. I don't need it, just want to build up my score!

Be smart and don't depend on credit, but use it as a tool to provide what you need for your future.
                            How did you wind up in BK if you paid cash for everything? Also, people are morons so that's why they might react strangely to no credit score. All you needed was a lender who isn't moronic and does manual underwriting.
                            New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Mi View Post
                              Business travel (if you get reimbursed quickly by your employer) is a good reason to have a small card. Don't pay too much attention to those saying "You don't need a card, just bury your money in a shoe.". I'm guessing they don't have work-related expenses.

My wife has a $500 CapOne. I'm getting a $500 Orchard Bank in a few days. I'll buy a couple things, pay them off, the probably not use the card again unless I travel.
                              That's the excuse you use for getting a credit card.....work related travel expenses? Funny thing is everyone takes CASH and just about everyone takes a debit card. If they don't soon, they will or they will fail.
                              New Orleans: Home to the World Champion Saints, the biggest enviromental disaster and the biggest natural disaster in the history of this nation. Proud to call it home!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X