Question- Credit Cards, Rebuilding Credit after Bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question- Credit Cards, Rebuilding Credit after Bankruptcy

I have a question for the moderators and members: So I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit (I'm a year out of bankruptcy). I got a new car and car loan through Capital One which I pay every month on time. I also have 2 Capital One credit Cards, a Credit One credit card, a First Premiere credit Card, and a Total Care credit card.

My question pertains to the last three cards (the First Premiere, the Credit One and the Total Care). They all have monthly participation fees (6-8 a month) and annual fees (usually 48-50 a year). My question is will my credit look better if I keep these accounts open? I am seriously thinking about closing them because I do not want to keep paying monthly participation fees and annual fees (which I do not have to on my Capital Ones). My ultimate goal is to make my credit look better, and I am not sure if these accounts will help me or ultimate not have an effect on my credit? What do you all think? (FYI: i opened all of these account a month after bankruptcy about a year ago)

I'll just give my opinion on what I would do in your situation. I've never dealt with "monthly participation" fees ever. That sounds just evil. I hate annual fees, too, but they don't sound as bad as monthly fees. If you have a CC that charges monthly fees and an annual fee, I would ditch that card right away!

Think about it. 1 month = $6 x 12 months = $72? And then possibly an annual fee on top of that? Highway robbery!

I'm no expert but being a year out of BK and with your credit building, you "should" be able to apply for a better CC (higher CL and lower fees). Once you get one, then close a couple of these loan sharking CCs. I know overall "total CL" is a factor when dealing with utilization, but my guess is the cards you have now have low CLs. So, it's worth it to ditch em.

Let us know how it goes.
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X