Personal loans to rebuild credit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal loans to rebuild credit

My hubby and I did the pre filing credit counseling last weekend and during the phone call at the end of the course the person at the credit counseling company suggested that we try to take out a personal loan from our bank for about two hundred dollars and pay it back fifty dollars a month for four months.

It sounds good in theory but am wondering if it's something that would actually have a whole lot of affect on ones credit? Perhaps if it's done a few times it would have an affect?

Has anyone here done this and had success as far as raising your credit score?

Other than a secured card my hubby and I are looking for ways to rebuild credit and this is the only other idea that appeals to us.

We're determined to do this without credit cards or auto loans.
    Filed Chapter 7 April 29th, 2010
    341 June 1st, 2010
    Report of No Distribution June 2nd, 2010
    Discharged and Closed 8/10/2010

Originally posted by jdcat View Post
    My hubby and I did the pre filing credit counseling last weekend and during the phone call at the end of the course the person at the credit counseling company suggested that we try to take out a personal loan from our bank for about two hundred dollars and pay it back fifty dollars a month for four months.

It sounds good in theory but am wondering if it's something that would actually have a whole lot of affect on ones credit? Perhaps if it's done a few times it would have an affect?

Has anyone here done this and had success as far as raising your credit score?

Other than a secured card my hubby and I are looking for ways to rebuild credit and this is the only other idea that appeals to us.

We're determined to do this without credit cards or auto loans.
    Its a great idea, and it has worked capitally for me.

I dont know that you'll get an unsecured loan from a bank... but I was able to get what is called a "Share secure loan" against my savings at my credit union. Its between 4-5% interest, reports to all 3 credit reporting agencies, and instantly boosted my score 100 points.

Definitely recommended. I admire your resistance to get another credit card- kudos to you!!
    Retained bk7 laywer 8-12-08, Filed 12-22, 341 Meeting Scheduled 1-29-09
    Discharged 4-17-09!!!
    Reason for filing: Medical, NOT irresponsibility with credit.
    "Sometimes you have to fall before you fly"

Comment

My wife and I just got a secured loan from our credit union. We got a $3,000 loan that is secured by our savings. No prepayment penalty over 36 months at 3.1% interest. We just rolled the 3k from the loan back into our savings and they setup up automatic payments that pull right from our savings. So it's really a setup it up and forget it.
      Filed Chapter 7: 06/09/09
      341 Meeting: 07/16/09
      Discharged: 09/21/09
      Case Closed: 09/25/09

Comment

Originally posted by DebtStinks View Post
        My wife and I just got a secured loan from our credit union. We got a $3,000 loan that is secured by our savings. No prepayment penalty over 36 months at 3.1% interest. We just rolled the 3k from the loan back into our savings and they setup up automatic payments that pull right from our savings. So it's really a setup it up and forget it.
        Great way to do it!

I tried to get a secured personal loan through my bank and was denied, even though I requested a loan for $2k to be secured by my savings account of approximately $15k. It made no sense to me whatsoever. The sole reason for the denial: BK.
        CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
        341 Meeting 4/7/2009
        Discharged 7/10/2009
        Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
          Great way to do it!

I tried to get a secured personal loan through my bank and was denied, even though I requested a loan for $2k to be secured by my savings account of approximately $15k. It made no sense to me whatsoever. The sole reason for the denial: BK.
          Banks and Credit Unions are different animals. Live by different standards. You apply for that same "secured by cash" loan at a cu you will get it.
          Making financial failure my teacher, not my undertaker!
          Ch7 Filed 9/23/09
          341 11/05/09
          01/07/2010 Discharge!!

Comment

I don't understand it, either. Really, how does a bank lose with a secured loan? Isn't there something in the terms that basically says, if you fail to pay the secured loan, they basically get to keep your secured money?
            Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Ya they didn't even pull a credit report... I asked first since I didn't want an inquiry. So I guess it just depends on where you bank.
              Filed Chapter 7: 06/09/09
              341 Meeting: 07/16/09
              Discharged: 09/21/09
              Case Closed: 09/25/09

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody!

So this actually sounds like a do-able plan then. I noticed though what seemed like high amounts for those of you who did go the personal loan route...well high for me anyway.....and now I'm wondering if a bank would even consider a smallish loan, like $500 tops???
                341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by jdcat View Post
                  Thanks for the replies everybody!

So this actually sounds like a do-able plan then. I noticed though what seemed like high amounts for those of you who did go the personal loan route...well high for me anyway.....and now I'm wondering if a bank would even consider a smallish loan, like $500 tops???
                  Possibly, but you would most likely pay that off so quickly that it wouldn't help your credit score much...
                  CH7 Filed 2/26/2009 (no asset)
                  341 Meeting 4/7/2009
                  Discharged 7/10/2009
                  Closed 7/28/2009

Comment

A "Credit Union" will give you a loan secured with cash, with a "Bank" however it is questionable. Yes, they will loan small amounts ($500) as well.
                    Making financial failure my teacher, not my undertaker!
                    Ch7 Filed 9/23/09
                    341 11/05/09
                    01/07/2010 Discharge!!

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                      Possibly, but you would most likely pay that off so quickly that it wouldn't help your credit score much...
                      That makes sense. Thanks for your input.
                      341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by NanaOf11 View Post
                        A "Credit Union" will give you a loan secured with cash, with a "Bank" however it is questionable. Yes, they will loan small amounts ($500) as well.
                        Thanks Nana. We aren't with a credit union so we'll try our bank first and see what they say then go from there.
                        341 June 1st, 2010

Comment

Originally posted by DebtStinks View Post
                          This is what my dh & I plan to do too. We joined our local CU after filing our Chpt 7 BK in hopes of them helping us rebuild our credit after discharge. We're going to try to use dh's title to his truck to secure a small loan tho (instead of our savings)... and we want no more than $1,000 (and the value of the truck is $4K).
                          Filed 8/2009
                          Discharged & Closed 11/2009
                          Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

I called my Credit Union today and found out that I can establish an unlimited amount of secured loans (SHARE SECURED/CD SECURED LOAN).

I also found out you do not have to be a member of some CUs to establish the same secured loan above.

How many secured loans can you have concurrently before its no longer beneficial toward your credit score?

I was thinking 2 or 3, each from a different CU, for 12-24 months would be a good way to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamel407 View Post
                              I called my Credit Union today and found out that I can establish an unlimited amount of secured loans (SHARE SECURED/CD SECURED LOAN).
                              I also found out you do not have to be a member of some CUs to establish the same secured loan above.

How many secured loans can you have concurrently before its no longer beneficial toward your credit score?

I was thinking 2 or 3, each from a different CU, for 12-24 months would be a good way to do this.
                              this is how our local CU works too. We went with a $500 secured loan for 12 mos @ 9.9% interest. Then 3 weeks later we were approved for an auto loan thru them for $10K @ 9.9%. I know we weren't approved for the auto because we took out the secured loan, but regardless we now have two open installment loans that will be soon reporting on our reports (and were discharged Nov.09).
                              Filed 8/2009
                              Discharged & Closed 11/2009
                              Now the rebuilding begins....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X