When can I apply for a new credit card?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When can I apply for a new credit card?

When can I apply for a new credit card? Can i apply after I am discharged or do I have to wait until my case is closed?

After discharge is fine. Heck, some people apply even before discharge, but I would not recommend that.

Which card(s) do you plan to apply for?
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

i was thinking either capital one or orchard.

Comment

I applied after the trustee's report of no distribution and before discharge. No problem, did not affect discharge or closing dates. In a Chapter 7 there is no regulation that says you can't apply for new credit. A Chapter 13 is a different matter.
        Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Honestly, I'm an amateur, so heed my advice with caution, but I would say definitely after. I would assume that during would lead to high interest rates and annual fees.

One month after my BK i got a credit card (Hooters) with an $1100 limit with no annual fee + 16% APR. Not anywhere near what I had before, but I am able to build. You need to remember, you're a sub-prime lendee until you prove otherwise. You're going to get a lot of offers, but very few will be on favorable terms. Be patient and build from there.
          08.28.09 - Filed Chapter 7
          10.19.09 - 341 Meeting
          12.18.09 - Anticipating Discharge!!!
          12.21.09 - Discharged!!!

Comment

It really is a crap shoot. I applied for HSBC, before discharge. Rate is 14%, limit $500 and annual fee is $39. I use it just for gas purchases and pay it off each month. Going in months three now.

My credit was all over the place. I had a $90K charge off on a HELOC for some rental property, a number of 120 day lates on credit cards, but was currrent on my mortgage and car payments. On the positive side I had a number of car loans and previous mortgages that were paid off and reporting positive before filing.
            Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X