top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just learned the importance of an emergency fund!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just learned the importance of an emergency fund!

I've been saving for possible layoffs with a goal of 10 months living exense--I'm there!!!

I've been increasing my retirement so that someday I can retire--very happy so far.

I have not set up an emergency fund for things like a cracked windshield--ouch!!!!

Today my windshield broke!!! I have the money but it isn't allocated money--OUCH.
    I have decided to throw some money into an account that I will never look at and then have $200 a month deducted from my paycheck into this account. I will use this towards my winter propane bills (about $2100 a year) and any surprises like a new $400 windshield.

BTW...I just lowered my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $100 for a whopping $17 a year on 2 cars. Yes I am an idiot!!!

Just passing on experience.....

Logan

Haha! I feel you Since discharge, I've been putting $$ aside in an "emergency fund" (although I have a credit card, I don't want to fall into that trap again), anyway, my garage door broke! Bummer, but it was nice to have the "cash" to pay for the service call.

BTW: Did you mean that you increased your deductible to $500 from $100?? I was thinking of increasing my deductible to $1000 to save a few backs...hmmm, maybe I should rethink that....
    May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
    May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
    May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
    9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
      Just passing on experience.....

Logan
      Hi Logan Yep, 'Hub and I have *heard* that! We are slowly building back up ourselves. We're still paying our IRS bill and that takes almost everything extra we can save. So we don't have an Emergency Fund either....

So far this year:
      1. 1. One broken oil pan for a VW Jetta Deisel (accident) $700.00;
      2. 2. Starter on the same vehicle went bad. There was only ONE correct part in the Western Hemisphere for this particular car. In Canada! I am totally serious! $300.00.
      3. 3. This week: either the well has gone bad, the pump gone bad, the water table dropped, or, most likely, a combination of the three. So far the tally is around $400.00 with ''Hub, myself, and some neighbors doing the actual work of pulling the well and rebuilding it.

And its only April.....
      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 04-15-2010, 04:18 PM.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Yeah, I pay the extra monthly premium to keep my deductibles where I think I can afford them. The car insurance company keeps trying to coerce me into raising my deductible. No thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCat View Post
          Hi Logan Yep, 'Hub and I have *heard* that! We are slowly building back up ourselves. We're still paying our IRS bill and that takes almost everything extra we can save. So we don't have an Emergency Fund either....

So far this year:
          1. 1. One broken oil pan for a VW Jetta Deisel (accident) $700.00;
          2. 2. Starter on the same vehicle went bad. There was only ONE correct part in the Western Hemisphere for this particular car. In Canada! I am totally serious! $300.00.
          3. 3. This week: either the well has gone bad, the pump gone bad, the water table dropped, or, most likely, a combination of the three. So far the tally is around $400.00 with ''Hub, myself, and some neighbors doing the actual work of pulling the well and rebuilding it.

And its only April.....
          To amend to the bosses post. The oil pan accident was a shallow speed bump that met a raised manhole cover at the speed of 15 mph. Cast Aluminum and hit right at drain plug. Obviously I trailed oil to and upon my daughters concrete drive. BTW it is still showing never to be forgotten.

The starter was only made for a short time. Only one in North America. Get this, a German car, assembled in Mexico and uses a Hitachi starter.

We did open an HSA as Mrs. C had a devil of time to get medical and the co payment nags kept us telling them "wait till SS day". Now we have a debit card for those. Be careful, it is tax free and do NOT use it for anything else. If you HAVE to take money from it, you have only a short time to replace it, but it HAS to be to the very penny.

The well blew out. Check valve down 40' well 75'. Potato farms drawing water big time and the water level could have dropped so the pump burned out. Pulled the well, dropped to 50' and new pump. Bummer and we are going to put aside at least 2K next year. (If we have a next year).

The HSA emergency fund, could be a wonderful health savings as it stays taxed free and you can put in $4050 this year tax free. This accumulates if you do not use it. When you use it, it is tax free ONLY for medical.

Now with the little events that always happen at the worse time, I shall work on an emergency fund. Thanks for your patience. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

We're up to $400 in the emergency fund and we just filed last month. While that's a good start I'm so stressed lately because there are so many emergencies that have a bigger price tag than $400!

Just this week I had a car repair to use $250. Thank God for overtime during the summer and a low gas bill or we'd never get ahead. Time to get serious about the savings.
            attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
            no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
            341, 05/10/2010
            discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

We're having a baby in September so this hurts little more since we were going furniture shopping this weekend. Oh well, I'll survive.

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by blessed View Post
                We're up to $400 in the emergency fund and we just filed last month. While that's a good start I'm so stressed lately because there are so many emergencies that have a bigger price tag than $400!

Just this week I had a car repair to use $250. Thank God for overtime during the summer and a low gas bill or we'd never get ahead. Time to get serious about the savings.
                You will have about 90 days or so for your bk discharge. Keep your funds low at this time or make maintenance repairs while you go. In other words preempt the repair as if you build up to much funds, the Trustee could take it as an asset. Stay below $600 til discharge. 'Hub
                If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

My wife and I went to NYC for the weekend and took the car without the cracked windshield. 20 minutes into our 4 hour drive a rock comes flying right at us--we both ducked and crapped our pants. Somehow the windshield survived but it did chip the windshield---I may lower the deductible to 0 after that.

Logan

Comment

Hey if it is only chipped, you might be able to get that repaired pretty cheaply. Cracked, that may be another story. There used to be a lady down here, called herself "Chick'n-a-Windshield" and that was all she did for a living was fix chipped windshields lol. $30.00! Pretty good deal, I guess, if it actually works. I don't know how it is done, and she's gone now.

I was parked in New Mexico one winter and had the windshield covered with a leather cover made for that, and the wind was so fierce, that it heaved a rock at the windshield and chipped it anyway. I reckon that could only happen to me, though.

Comment

Originally posted by tigergem View Post
                      I was parked in New Mexico one winter and had the windshield covered with a leather cover made for that, and the wind was so fierce, that it heaved a rock at the windshield and chipped it anyway. I reckon that could only happen to me, though.
                      You are not alone. I had a Jeep and the windshield got cracked. I drove it like that for a few months, and replaced it. The very next day, another rock nailed it and cracked it again. After a few more months, replaced it yet again. And I kid you not, the very next day....
                      After that, I drove it cracked and sold it that way.

My other vehicle got a chip, and the local glass place fixed it for 20.00. It hasn't cracked since, but it has only been a few months.
                      8-07-09-filed Chapter 7
                      11-18-09-DISCHARGED!!

Life is not what challenges you face, but how you face those challenges.

Comment

I envy you guys. Since obtaining my last job, I took a huge pay cut. We're barely making ends meet. Gratz for all of you who are able to stash away funds right now.
                        Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

Had to share...

I order to save $$$, I cancelled our Road Side Assistance because in the 15 years I've had the coverage, I NEVER used it!!! Never. Go figure...within 3 months of cancelling the service, my (new 2007) car broke down yesterday!! Another 'emergency' and had to "dip into" the savings again...something is ALWAYS coming up!
                          May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
                          May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
                          May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
                          9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Oh. I have used roadside assistance a lot! Wouldn't be without it. For a while, I even had roadside assistance that went with my cell phone in addition to the one that comes with my car insurance. Not anymore, but when I did have it, I had to use it a couple of times too, when I was riding with other people who had none.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                              You will have about 90 days or so for your bk discharge. Keep your funds low at this time or make maintenance repairs while you go. In other words preempt the repair as if you build up to much funds, the Trustee could take it as an asset. Stay below $600 til discharge. 'Hub
                              I thought they only cared about the amount in the bank on the day we filed? This is what our attorney told us.

The way we've been yo-yoing it won't matter because we'll be under that $600 you quoted. Always something to spend it on being a car and home owner!!
                              attorney consult and decided to file, 02/15/2010
                              no-asset Chapter 7 filed, 03/11/2010
                              341, 05/10/2010
                              discharged, 07/13/2010

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X