Capitol One Credit Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capitol One Credit Cards

I applied, just got a letter today saying my address didn't match my CR's. But then it said if I applied for the card, don't worry about contacting them. If I didn't call to make sure it isn't fraud.

Then it said they would be notifying me of their decision soon. Would they go through all this if I was denied? Has this happened to anyone else and you got the card?

If so, how soon after discharge did you get it. What's the limit?
    Filed: 11/9/09 341 Meeting:12/21/09 No assets! Discharged: 5/24/10
    10/2010:EQUIFAX: 589, TRANSUNION: 644, EXPERIAN: 591

I dunno how accurate it is....but they sent me a pre-approval in the mail yesterday....0% until June 2011...initial limit set at 300.00....29% after June 2011....

So here is my plan (this coming from someone who really doesn't like the idea of a credit card)...I'll use it for gas in the bike - that amounts to about 8 bucks a week....and pay almost all of it each month. Question: if I leave a running balance of say a few bucks each month, does that help me with my credit??

Comment

I tried to get a capital one card for about 3 months ... The first two times I applied I kept getting instant denials saying I had previous delinquency with capital one. The third time, it said my app was under review and then I got a letter in the mail saying that I needed to verify my social security number and I had to send them a copy of my W-2.

So, after I sent that back I got my card in the mail a few weeks later. I believe the new credit card laws require them to do much more intensive checking on people when they apply for credit. So, I think if they are asking you to verify stuff that its probably a good sign.

And to NHC: I was always told by financial people to purchase something and then take like 3 months to pay it off and that was supposed to look better than buying something and paying it off in the same month. I make large payments on my credit cards every month but I always carry a balance usually. My scores continue to go up since my bankruptcy... so... I think you'd be fine.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I guess a more in depth question is this....does it matter how small of a balance you carry over from month to month or would say, 4 bucks be just as good as 40 bucks..??

I know it's crazy but in a year or two I would really like to be in the position to buy a new-used motorcycle....my poor little sporty isn't going to be cutting it for very much longer (it's mechanically/cosmetically perfect)....that solid mount engine is only comfortable for about 200 miles and then it starts kicking my tushy....

Comment

Well, I guess the other question would be what are your scores and what does your credit look like? I would think 40 dollars would be a better number than 4... depending on what your limits are.

You need to think about utilization ... its a factor in your scoring. Typically you don't wanna go above 25% of your available credit limit.

I purchased a brand new vehicle through Ford 3 days after my discharge at 17% and I just refinanced my car with my credit union to 8% after 6 months post discharge... so, its not out of reach.
          BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.

Comment

I'm looking at using this card merely for gas....which on a 2.6 gallon tank ain't that much money...typically it costs me $4.50 to fill my MC gas tank...and I do it probably twice a week...sometimes 3...and I was planning on just paying it off each payday...but from what I'm reading, I need to keep a small balance on the card each month....so if that is the case is it more benficial to keep a 4 dollar balance or say a 12 dollar balance month to month....

Comment

Meh, I dunno if it will make much of a diff... what is the limit on the card?

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                Meh, I dunno if it will make much of a diff... what is the limit on the card?
                not much....300 bucks....I would think it would show more positively if it was paid off every month...

Comment

Don't keep a balance. If you just pay everything on time your credit will improve and you will get all the credit you want. I'm 2.5 years out of BK and I have no problems getting the credit I need with FICO's between 692 and 711 and I've never carried a balance since BK.

I have 3 credit cards with 1.1K, 3.5K and 7K limits, A Jared Card with an 11k limit and a car loan for 23K at 4.5%. What else do I need?

Logan

Comment

Okay...that makes sense to me....someone else was telling me it was better to carry over a small balance from month to month and I was thinking "this makes no damn sense...."

Comment

I went ahead and called to tell them I am aware of the two addresses and verified that I applied. So the rep told me I would hear something in a few days. I also applied for a Victoria's secret Angel card online. It didn't deny me but it said in 5-7 days i would be contacted so we'll see.

Comment

I got the Capital One card. They sent an email saying it's on the way to me. :-)

Comment

Just applied for the Standard Platiinum for me and my wife and we got approved for $500 credit limit for each one.
                          Filed Chapter 7 - 12/16/2009
                          341 Meeting - 1/26/2010 - done!
                          Last day for objections - 2/25/2010
                          Discharged 3/31/2010

Comment

Originally posted by prettyobk View Post
                            I got the Capital One card. They sent an email saying it's on the way to me. :-)

I got mine in the mail yesterday.....I seriously thought this was one of those "Hey...you might be approved....HA...just kidding, you're not...." things....I'm just over 90 days out of my Ch. 7....

Comment

Originally posted by NHC View Post
                              Okay...that makes sense to me....someone else was telling me it was better to carry over a small balance from month to month and I was thinking "this makes no damn sense...."
                              It actually does make sense. A lot of times it looks better to a potential creditor that you were able to purchase something and then make timely payments on it and pay it off within a few months.

Many financial advisors have told me this. Keeping a zero balance every month is sure fine and good but sometimes making a small purchase and paying it off over time helps more. Logan mentioned he's 2.5 years out of BK and has nearly the same scores that I do and I'm less than a year out.

Once I read that you would only have like a 15-20 dollar balance we were talking about I said it probably wouldn't matter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X