Fraud alert!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fraud alert!!!

One of the CRA's has screwed up again. One of them has said that i requested a fraud alert be placed on my CR so now all three have done so--and also have opted me out of prescreened offers to boot--they say for 3 months on the alert and SIX months on the op-out!
    How do I get this removed right away? I did not place it there nor do I want it
    Last edited by bilbo; 01-27-2006, 06:59 PM.

just call the credit agencies and ask for it to be taken off.

search for OPT OUT on the web. usually the site has a opt in as well.

here this is it. opt in or out:
    Last edited by bkfiler; 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM.
    Im not an attorney or a trustee. You cant trust me either though!

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
    [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
    [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
    [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Anytime you dispute things, there is a chance of a fraud alert appearing. I'm not sure if it can be removed right away.
      Most of my information is from personal experience or HOURS and HOURS of online research. When you're searching online, keep in mind there is no guarantee that the info is completely up to date, and your situation is unique from anyone else's. Do your homework, and consult with an attorney so you can make an informed decision.

Comment

Thanks ya'll. BTW, they said I REQUESTED that the fraud alert be placed on my account, which I did not.

BKfiler--I have been looking for the phone numbers but am only getting recordings--do you ahve the correct numbers to call?
        If I can't call them I suppose I will be writing more letters.......This has caused problems with me even accessing my own on-line reports so it is a big hassle
        Last edited by bilbo; 01-27-2006, 01:51 PM.

Comment

you cant usually contac tthem unless you have a report drawn with a # to use when calling in.

send them a letter. using all your ID you got and ask that a fraud alert be taken off.

[x] - Done with 341? Join the 60 Day Club! ___________[x] - Im Discharged! Whoo Hooo!
          [x] - Poll: Should I File Pro-Se ____________________[x] - New BK Law: Median Income, Means Testing and Presumptive Abuse
          [x] - Zombie Debt Collectors Dig Up Your Old Mistakes _-[x] - Bankruptcy Law Resource
          [x] - Need A Fast Answer? Available 24/7!--__________[x] - Dont Be A Hero On Your Budget - You Wont Get An Award!

Comment

Originally posted by bilbo
            One of the CRA's has screwed up again. One of them has said that i requested a fraud alert be placed on my CR so now all three have done so--and also have opted me out of prescreened offers to boot--they say for 3 months.
            How do I get this removed right away? I did not place it there nor do I want it

Welcome to the club!!! Hubby and I BOTH have the alerts on our accounts, which say we requested it when we DID NOT!!!!!....we sent them a certifed letter, with all the corrections to be made to our report, and they put a fraud alert on our reports. I get a letter today saying the want a copy of a DL or SS# and a bill with our addrerss to remove it, and to prove who we are....This SUCKS!!!!!!
            trying to do good and clear things up and it only making matter worse!!!
            pink

So the letters will go off tomorrow!

Comment

Pink--I just drafted letters tonight to send to all 3--even though it only shows on 2 right now. THIS type of thing they DO communicate to each other. EX send me my CR report with it today--saying that they have already notified the other 2 CRA's so that they can place the same alerts and op-out. Hey--I want to get all those crappy offers...LOL

Somehow I suspected it was EX that did it.

Good to know I need to send copies of stuff when I send my letter out CMRR tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by bkfiler
                here this is it. opt in or out:
                https://www.optoutprescreen.com/?rf=t
                use the OPT-IN website. dont wait.

Comment

I never heard of a credit bureau putting a fraud alert on your report when you didn't request it. Scary stuff.

I had one on mine once. I requested it. When I wanted it removed, I had to send letters to each of the bureaus. It takes time to get it removed. Until that happens, you won't be able to get your credit report on line or over the phone. It's a security precaution.

Be glad you've been "opted out". Everyone should do this. A pre-approved credit application is an easy way for someone to steal your identity.

Comment

Originally posted by bkfiler
                    use the OPT-IN website. dont wait.
                    Hey, this works great. I think I was in opt out due to requesting changes to my report or something. Why not try this instead of the letters? I suppose it is better to provide yourself with documentation that it was done but using this website was way simple. thanks, filer

Comment

well, my credit agencies put me on fraud alert. they will do it when you lose cards and have to reorder. or mabey the credit card companies requrest it.

we dont really know much about it. but if you send a letter and make sure you have all info about you on same letter to prove you are you then it should be taken off.

as far as opt-out or opt-in tahts nothing to do with fraud alert. it just lets them send you offeres or not.

the fraud alert on your account will get you denied [on the spot so to speak] and cause problems for you when you apply online mostly it seems. on a application too but it seems since they have all your info and a signature and you were presenting it at the store maybe then you have went further to prove who you are. thats my guess.
                      Last edited by bkfiler; 01-29-2006, 10:41 AM.

Comment

A fraud alert does not cause you to be denied credit. It just takes longer to get approved because the creditor has to call you and verify your identity.

Comment

companies can and will use that to deny you credit in my opinion. the ones online have stricter rules sometimes and dont mess with it if there is a problem. thats what ive heard. does that mean you cant call them and explain, no. and yes lots of them send you a letter asking you to call in. thats also what ive heard.

in general i agree with you but they are certainly able to make their own rules.

whatever the case, you should apply in person (or paper app) if you are not sure that the fraud alert is taken off imo.

Comment

I was able to eventually access my on line reports after calling in and answering questions--and in TU's case wait for a 'tracking code'. Anyway I sent off letters to all 3 today stating I wantthe alert removed, that I did not request it in the first place and that i DID want to be opted in. I also went to the link(thanks BKfiler)

Comment

As I said, I had a fraud alert on my credit, and I was never denied credit because of it. I applied for cards online, but I wasn't instantly approved. The companies called later to verify my identity and then approved me. The fraud alert applies to ALL credit applications, not just online applications. Even if you mail in an application or apply in person at a bank, they still need to verify your identity.

I read another thread where you didn't want someone spread misinformation, and I don't want to see that happen here. A fraud alert is there to protect you. It doesn't make you credit-unworthy.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X