Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover approved me!?!?

Hello all!

Very long time lurker, first time posting in this great forum. Well, long story short, I bk'ed in 2004. Went through the usual misery of rebuilding credit using the Orchard bank, cap 1 and so on (had I known about this forum, I wouldn't have waited two years before getting my first credit card after the BK). Then I eventually moved on to the more reasonable ones, like PenFed and USAA Visa/Mastercards (USAA appears to be BK friendly at a starting CL of $7K, along with excellent customer service).

A few days ago I decided to take a shot at Discover, which with them I discharged about $3500 of debt in the bk. I applied on their website, got the message stating we will inform you in 30 days, blah blah, etc. Well, I read that many of you folks just call the back door number when you get that message, so I gave it a shot. I called the 1-800 number, got right through to CS with no hold time, verified income and address, and GOT APPROVED! All with in a few minutes! I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for the many success stories I have read on this forum.

Wow, thats great to hear that Discover approved you! Congratulations! I've always heard alot of people say that Discover is a card that is hard to get?
    Filed: 5/22/07; 341 Hearing: 6/27/07;
    Confirmed: 8/13/07; DISCHARGED 4/17/2012

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDat View Post
      Hello all!

Went through the usual misery of rebuilding credit using the Orchard bank, cap 1 and so on (had I known about this forum, I wouldn't have waited two years before getting my first credit card after the BK).
      What's wrong with Capital One. I have a USAA, Chase, Capital One, and BOFA card. I use Capital One for my International Charges because they don't charge any fees but all the others do. I just returned from London and the card worked great. I use USAA for everything else and accidentally used it for one charge in London and I was charged a 1% foreign transaction fee. My Chase and BOFA are full of cob webs.

So what's wrong with Capital One?

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
        What's wrong with Capital One. I have a USAA, Chase, Capital One, and BOFA card. I use Capital One for my International Charges because they don't charge any fees but all the others do. I just returned from London and the card worked great. I use USAA for everything else and accidentally used it for one charge in London and I was charged a 1% foreign transaction fee. My Chase and BOFA are full of cob webs.

So what's wrong with Capital One?

Logan
        Didn't say anything was bad about Cap1, or Orchard bank for that matter. I still have my card with Cap1. If it works great for you, then that's fine, but what works well for you may not work well for others. For me, I get better benefits and rewards with PenFed and USAA, plus, IMHO, their online banking is top notch. Cap1 online banking is pretty good, however, typically it takes four to five days to post an electronic payment from checking, though I have never carried a credit card balance for longer than 10 days. USAA/PenFed posts same day if I pay early enough, or next day. Cap1 CS is hit or miss. Now, I'm not saying that is the norm for Cap1.

IIRC, Cap1 is the only card that doesn't charge the foreign transaction fee. When in Spain, I still use the USAA. The cash rewards I get make up for the fee. I'm sure may folks has great service with Cap1, and many that has bad luck with USAA or PenFed. I also had the Discover card in the past, and familiar with the rewards program. Discover has very good CS with no hold times (at least they did a few years ago). I spend about $150 on gas each month, so the 5% back Discover offers on gas will save a few bucks at the pump.

Again, it all boils down to what works best for the individual.

Comment

It just sounded like you were saying Capital One is a second rate card. Alot of people on this board have a Capital One card and it is a fine card.

I also get cash rewards from USAA that would cover the foreign transaction fee but I want to support Cap One because they are the only card I know of that eats the fees.

Also, I use my USAA card for everything including automatic withdrawals and when I travel to places like Honduras and Venezuela I think it is safer to use a card that is easier to monitor due to less activity.

Logan

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
            It just sounded like you were saying Capital One is a second rate card. Alot of people on this board have a Capital One card and it is a fine card.

I also get cash rewards from USAA that would cover the foreign transaction fee but I want to support Cap One because they are the only card I know of that eats the fees.

Also, I use my USAA card for everything including automatic withdrawals and when I travel to places like Honduras and Venezuela I think it is safer to use a card that is easier to monitor due to less activity.

Logan
            Overall, Cap1 is a great card. Better than many of the other CCs out there that are not BK friendly, IMHO. They automatically approved me for a CL of $2750 and a reasonable APR. They never raised the CL, which is not a big deal because they never raised the APR back when every other CC provider was jacking theirs up. Like I said before, I still have mine and will keep it. I would definitely use Cap1 when over seas because that 1% can add up when used a lot, but I don't charge that much, so I just stick with the USAA. I read somewhere (WSJ I believe) a few years back that since Cap1 advertises that they do not charge foreign transaction fee, per Visa/Mastercard's agreement with Cap1 they cannot pass along the charge some other way (Visa/MC charges the 1%), so they eat the charge. Whether that is true or not, who knows.

I agree with you on benching the BofA card. I do not have one myself, but the many horror stories I hear from a few of my co-workers is enough to scare me away from them. BofA wanted to charge one of my co-workers $30 to close his checking and savings account. They also upped is APR and cut his CL on his BofA CC.

Comment

I HATE BofA. I have been banking with them for years now. I initially opened up my account when I lived in Nashville. I moved to Ga, and left my account as is since BofA said it is no big deal which branch your account is opened at, since there are BofA's all over the country. OK so I call to inquire about closing out my account, because I want to either go to suntrust or WAMU. They tell me over the phone that I must drive to the original branch to close the account out. Is there a reason why my local branch can't do that?I mean it is 2010, a time in which computers and faxes are the norm.They are very irritating to deal with.
              Chapter 7 filed 2/26/2010
              341 meeting 4/18/2010
              Discharged 6/14/2010-On our way back up the ladder from a rough patch.
              FICO score goal by June 2011:720+

Comment

Originally posted by pris72 View Post
                I HATE BofA. I have been banking with them for years now. I initially opened up my account when I lived in Nashville. I moved to Ga, and left my account as is since BofA said it is no big deal which branch your account is opened at, since there are BofA's all over the country. OK so I call to inquire about closing out my account, because I want to either go to suntrust or WAMU. They tell me over the phone that I must drive to the original branch to close the account out. Is there a reason why my local branch can't do that?I mean it is 2010, a time in which computers and faxes are the norm.They are very irritating to deal with.
                A few of my co-workers still bank with BofA. It seems like every other week they have a gripe about something BofA did. I keep asking why they still bank with them, and the general answer I get is "it's a pain in the ass to switch everything (direct deposit, Netflix, etc) to another bank." I have never banked with them, but it seems like every time I read an article on the WSJ or Yahoo finance about banks raising fees or cutting credit limits, BofA is almost always mentioned.

I think that is asinine for them to say that you cannot close your account through your local branch. I was able to do that twice when I was in the Navy (more than ten years ago). I do not see any reason why you can't close your account through another branch.

Comment

Originally posted by WhoDat View Post
                  A few of my co-workers still bank with BofA. It seems like every other week they have a gripe about something BofA did. I keep asking why they still bank with them, and the general answer I get is "it's a pain in the ass to switch everything (direct deposit, Netflix, etc) to another bank." I have never banked with them, but it seems like every time I read an article on the WSJ or Yahoo finance about banks raising fees or cutting credit limits, BofA is almost always mentioned.

I think that is asinine for them to say that you cannot close your account through your local branch. I was able to do that twice when I was in the Navy (more than ten years ago). I do not see any reason why you can't close your account through another branch.

It makes no sense to me either. I just do not have the time to drive 5 hrs away during the week to close out the account at the branch I opened the account up at. Had I known I would have an issue, I would have closed it before we moved back to Ga. The other things would be a hassle as well. I have several bills which automatically come out each month, and a direct deposit going in. I am so fed up with BofA, that I would change everything to a new account just to rid myself of them. My debit card was stolen back in May. Someone charged $600 on xbox live. I got a new card. Well it overdrew my account, because I had just paid all of my bills for the month. It was one of those 'very' tight weeks, but I knew we'd have enough for gas etc... Anyway to make a long story short BofA would only credit ONE overdraft fee back to me, even though my card was stolen. I have no clue who took it. My teenagers have so many friends in and out of my house, it could have been any of them. My purse now stays hidden, unless I need it for something.
                  Chapter 7 filed 2/26/2010
                  341 meeting 4/18/2010
                  Discharged 6/14/2010-On our way back up the ladder from a rough patch.
                  FICO score goal by June 2011:720+

Comment

Here we have people getting into more debt. Will you all ever learn? Oh wait I guess after a while you can just discharge them all over again. My bad. Move along, nothing to see here.
                    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                      Here we have people getting into more debt. Will you all ever learn? Oh wait I guess after a while you can just discharge them all over again. My bad. Move along, nothing to see here.
                      And here we have the someone just making ASSumptions from a post about a Discover Card approval. My house and car is paid for, no debt what so ever with the exception of $32.18 gas purchase from last night on my newly approved Discover card. My credit scores are in the low 800s, and a cash reserve to easily cover a years worth of living expenses and my trip to Spain in March 2011. Going by your signature line, I think the question you should be asking is will you learn? Or will you goon casting judgement on those that put themselves in the exact same situation you have just put yourself into?

I do agree with you on one thing though; it is your bad, and please move on because your ill-mannered condescending comments add nothing to this discussion.

Comment

For someone who is not even discharged, you seem quick to judge, nc73. This is the credit rebuilding thread. If you are looking for pre-discharge help with your active bankruptcy nc73, there are separate threads for that. One thing to note though, is that on this forum, we are all equally bankrupt. One person's bankruptcy is not superior to any other person's. Taking a judgmental attitude towards someone while you are in the middle of your undischarged, unclosed bankruptcy, is only going to make the situation emotionally more negative for you in my opinion.
                        Last edited by backtoschool; 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM.
                        You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone. ~~Nate, Six Feet Under

Comment

Originally posted by nc73 View Post
                          Go away

Comment

NC, Why are you so Negative. The old saying if you can not say anything nice than Shut up...
                            Filled 5-2010
                            7-2010 341 Meeting (Chapter 7 No Asset)
                            8-2010 Discharged/Case closed!

Comment

Originally posted by pathfinders View Post
                              NC, Why are you so Negative. The old saying if you can not say anything nice than Shut up...
                              He has no idea what he's talking about. This is the rebuilding credit area of the forum not the rebuilding debt forum!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X