Rebuilding credit while still IN a ch. 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilding credit while still IN a ch. 13

We are 3.5 years into our 5 year ch. 13. We've been advised (by our attorney) that we need to begin rebuilding our credit by getting a couple of secured credit cards. And yes, the trustee has ok'd it.

Do any of you have any suggestions as to GUARANTEED approval secured cards? We need the guaranteed approval b/c my husband applied a couple of months ago through our bank, put the money up for it and everything, and was declined b/c of the ch. 13. Apparently, we need to get ones that don't do a credit check b/c we don't want anymore hits on the score. We've found that Public Savings Bank offers what appears to be a good one. Do any of you know of any others? Not Orchard - it's a part of HSBC, which we BK'd several accounts on. Same with Capitol One. We'd like to get two, maybe three.

HELP!

I was wondering the same thing. Can you get a credit card while still actively in Chapt. 13? I read about everyone getting a card after discharge but it seems like most of those folks when through a Chapt. 7 so it was a much shorter waiting period. Does it have to be approved by the Trustee?

Comment

According to our attorney and trustee, a secured card while still in a 13 doesn't need approval. As long as the plan is to charge a little and pay the balance every month, it's no problem.

Comment

Wow I'm very suprised by this. Our Trustee said NO new credit while in the plan. And if we did need something like a car, it had to be approved by him. Interesting. I'm not trying to get in your business, however I would really go very slow.....trust me, I've filed BK more than once, due to thinking I needed to "re-estabish" my credit...we ended up getting right back in over our heads.....we will not make that mistake again. Good Luck!
        Last edited by DUMBAGAIN; 01-03-2011, 04:42 PM. Reason: to add something
        Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X