top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best BK friendly banks and credit unions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkdone View Post
    You can become a member if you are retired from the military, or you are the relative of someone that is. Their Memebership Inquiry page will explain all of it. If you still arent sure, click on the Membership Wizard and it will take you through a series of questions. I got in because my father is retired from the USAF.
    Thanks! I just wasn't sure how they define the term "retired". Usually, you think of getting some pension and are a bit older.
    I'm in the early 30s and don't get any pension. I think I'll give them a call and ask.

EDIT: I just called their hotline and it seems I'm eligible. So if you were with the Army (or Air Force, Navy etc.) at some point - you should be able to join. Nice.
    Last edited by IBroke; 03-09-2011, 09:14 AM.
    Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
    FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
    FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

OK, received a call back. Now, all of a sudden, "retired" means you actually DO need to receive some form of pension.
      I think they should point that out clearer. The term "retired" only means that you left...
      Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.

Comment

Patelco WILL NOT approve u if u have bad credit
        Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
        Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
        Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
          OK, received a call back. Now, all of a sudden, "retired" means you actually DO need to receive some form of pension.
          I think they should point that out clearer. The term "retired" only means that you left...
          It does say that on the membership page when you go to enroll. I remember reading it...it stated that you have to be receiving retirement benefits or some sort of pay fromt the military. This point is what solidified it for us that my dad would be eliglible. It's there...

Comment

I just cut and pasted this from the NFCU Membership page:

You Selected Uniformed Department of Defense

This includes:
            •Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force regular active duty, reservists, retirees and annuitants
            •National Guard personnel, retirees* and annuitants

*Must be receiving retirement pay from Department of Defense

Comment

Originally posted by bkdone View Post
              I just cut and pasted this from the NFCU Membership page:

You Selected Uniformed Department of Defense

This includes:
              Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force regular active duty, reservists, retirees and annuitants
              National Guard personnel, retirees* and annuitants

*Must be receiving retirement pay from Department of Defense
              It only shows the *-notation in their wizard for the National Guard - NOT for the Army. They even list the National Guard separately. If the same applies to Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force, why do they mention them separately?

https://www.navyfederal.org/about/el...-checklist.php

"All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and
              Air Force retirees and annuitants".

Here, there is NO notation at all.
              Last edited by IBroke; 03-09-2011, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I'd go for NFCU membership, but I have no living relatives that were members of the armed forces.
                3/7/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by scorpion35 View Post
                  Patelco WILL NOT approve u if u have bad credit
                  I've heard Patelco won't approve you for membership at all, let alone give you credit, if you have a recent BK.
                  3/7/11 -

Comment

Originally posted by randian View Post
                    I've heard Patelco won't approve you for membership at all, let alone give you credit, if you have a recent BK.
                    i am living proof
                    u have to wait 3 years after bk
                    Filed chapter 7 on 9/17 341 on 10/20
                    Chapter 7 Trustee's Report of No Distribution on 10/21
                    Discharged and Case Closed on 12/21/2010

Comment

retirement pay?? what about disability pay.. hmm.
                      have to give them a call..

Comment

Im in the midst of this myself. My problem is that I have been a member of Golden1 for years. I have a car loan through them that I will be paying outside my chapter 13. However, my attorney told me to open up a 2nd account with a different bank, just in case. I opted for Safe Credit union. I do not know how bk friendly they are as I got my account 2 weeks prior to filing, but I like them so far. So far Golden1 has not frozen my account, but I cancelled my direct deposit with them just in case. Now its just a pain getting everything transferred over to my new account. I plan on going in and talking to the branch manager at Golden 1 and seeing if they will be freezing my account. I assume that as soon as they receive notice of my filing that they will quit accepting my online automatic payments for my auto loan.

Comment

I have been with safe for a while. I tried to get a secured card after discharge and they declined my app due to low score. I think for their secured card you just have to meet a min credit score. they don't care about bk.

Comment

bkin2010...i dont really care about any secured cards..especially not while im in my chapter 13 plan..in fact i dont think i even want any credit afterwards..i think ill just use cash from now on!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X