New checking account?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New checking account?

We are relocating next month to another state. My current checking account is with a local bank so I would like to open a new account in the new state. Is that going to be a problem before discharge? What about after discharge?

I did not discharge any debt from bank overdrafts and I am not in the ChexSystems (to my knowledge at least I've not done anything to be reported).

Looking at a couple banks online they say they check credit so that's what concerns me. Do they mean the big 3 or just ChexSystems?

What about my husband opening a new account and making me an authorized user. Is that a possibility?
    Stopped paying 8/2010, Filed 2/2011, 341 3/2011 done, Report of no distribution . . . Discharged & Closed 5/2011!

Most banks use ChexSystems, but a few of the larger banks do also conduct credit checks. I found that we were better off going with a smaller local bank in our area when we relocated. I find the service in the small bank to be far superior to BofA, whom we'd been with before we moved.
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

I moved my account from a local credit union to bank - albeit local to the state - with no problems. I had not filed chp 7 yet, but my credit score was barely above 500 because so many bills were so far behind. If you've already seen that some banks say they require them, I'd avoid those banks and go smaller. Maybe a credit union? I used this site to find out about ChexSystems (I'm not affiliated with either, btw). They have some 'good banks' listed, but it pertains more to whether they use ChexSystems before opening an account. Then I did a good search of discussions for banks in my area and the phrase 'bad credit'. If I found evidence of others getting denied at that bank, I started searching using the next one. Wishing you well.
      Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

I have not had any trouble obtaining new checking accounts since discharge. This includes banks that check the major credit reports and ones that only do chex.
        BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
        Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

I used moveyourmoney to find a local "small" bank in the area where I am relocating. Many choices to choose from including credit unions. I opened a checking account with no problems, I am not in chex system, 18 months after my BK was discharged. Try to stay away from the "Too big to fail" banks.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X