top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authorized User - does it help rebuild credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea what Amex did or does. She was taken off the card right before we filled and then added again right after we were discharged. Your situation might because it is the same household, which our situation is not. As far as having her add me on the card......we have been married 16 years and she still does not like me, so that won't happen. I will rebuild on my own, over time, and I will never let a CC be a crutch for tough times. I already have more savings than I have had in ten years and that will continue.
    As I stated before on the CR my wife is not even listed as an AU, the accounts just show huge open lines of credit with zero balances? It has helped her

Comment

Originally posted by Logan View Post
      My wife (no bk) was going to get an AMEX and add me as an authorized user but AMEX would not even consider adding an AU who had a bk so she ended up not getting the card. I wonder how your wife was able to be an AU?
      I am also an authorized user on my husband's American Express Gold card. The question about my bankruptcy never came up.

I am unclear as to the question of authorized users increasing your credit score but it definately helps with the limit (assuming its a card with a good limit) and payment history. My husband is new to the country and didn't have any credit at all... he got here in 2009 and for like a year I couldn't get him any credit at all. So, I just started adding him as an AU on my cards... once it started reporting, I then starting app'ing for him. Ta da! Approvals... it started out with little toy limit cards but he now has a credit score over 700 and has a few cards with limits around 6-10k. So, it didn't necessarily increase his credit score but it did help me establish him a positive payment history and an average age of accounts.

We also have some joint credit cards and those are treated just as regular cards.
      BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
      Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
        I am also an authorized user on my husband's American Express Gold card. The question about my bankruptcy never came up.

I am unclear as to the question of authorized users increasing your credit score but it definately helps with the limit (assuming its a card with a good limit) and payment history. My husband is new to the country and didn't have any credit at all... he got here in 2009 and for like a year I couldn't get him any credit at all. So, I just started adding him as an AU on my cards... once it started reporting, I then starting app'ing for him. Ta da! Approvals... it started out with little toy limit cards but he now has a credit score over 700 and has a few cards with limits around 6-10k. So, it didn't necessarily increase his credit score but it did help me establish him a positive payment history and an average age of accounts.

We also have some joint credit cards and those are treated just as regular cards.
        When we went to apply for te AMEX they ask if you want to add a user and it says don't even bother if he AU has a BK.

Comment

maybe it was because you were applying for the card? Her mother has had it for over 30 plus years. good luck either way

Comment

Originally posted by ronsetoe View Post
            maybe it was because you were applying for the card? Her mother has had it for over 30 plus years. good luck either way
            We just wanted it because you get 6% cash back on groceries.

Comment

*Shrug* Dunno... My hubby got approved and at the same time they added me to the card...
              BK Ch 7 Discharged 09/2009 | Anything I say can and should be used as friendly advice and sharing of experiences with an unbiased viewpoint.
              Scores: EQ 745 EX 704 TU 710 as of 08/15/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Amy26 View Post
                *Shrug* Dunno... My hubby got approved and at the same time they added me to the card...
                Maybe it was the type of AMEX card? I'll try it again.

Comment

Yeah, an AU doesn't get their credit pulled to be added. It's a few questions, and BAM! That's the beauty of it all.....

Comment

Originally posted by sassiebaz View Post
                    Yeah, an AU doesn't get their credit pulled to be added. It's a few questions, and BAM! That's the beauty of it all.....
                    I had an AMEX when I went bk so they would know if we tried to get me on the card.

Comment

Originally posted by IBroke View Post
                      Now what about joint accounts? Legally, that is something else than an account with an authorized user - so how are these accounts handled?
                      Joint accounts = both borrowers have to sign and are legally responsible to pay

Authorized users = only signor (account holder) is responsible for payment - auth user can use the card but isnt held liable for nonpayment (however, it can and does often get reported to your credit report - but is easily removed when the error is pointed out).

The account is reported by the creditor to the bureaus with the appropriate account type (auth user, etc) and that is what is used.

Originally posted by Logan View Post
                      My wife (no bk) was going to get an AMEX and add me as an authorized user but AMEX would not even consider adding an AU who had a bk so she ended up not getting the card. I wonder how your wife was able to be an AU?
                      Thats odd only because what has already been mentioned. Auth users are not signors and therefore the credit card company doesnt usually pull credit on them - are you sure she didnt try to add you on as joint?

As an aside, amex does have a pretty good data mining program running. When my hubby stopped paying our business account - they also contacted me for my personal card and let me know they were removing his access from the account. My personal card was current at the time. I am pretty sure he was an auth user on this account.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X