Creditors continuing to report payment history after BK7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors continuing to report payment history after BK7

My BK7 was discharged in October 2011. CC’s only, I did a ride through with Honda and continue to pay the 1st mortgage (Citi) and 2nd (Chase), as well as student loan. I did not reaffirm anything, though there was a place in the paperwork where I indicated that I intended to continue to pay the car and the house payments.

The three credit reports I just checked were largely accurate, though the differences in level of detail is interesting. I am surprised to see that though everything that should show as discharged in bankruptcy does indeed say so and with correct $0 balances, the Honda loan, the student loan, and the two mortgages continue to show the payment history to the present. That group of creditors also states I was never late, in addition to the IIB notation. The continued payment history shows month and amount of payment. No balance due, etc.

This surprised me. I thought no payment history after BK will show for the accounts that were affected – whether positive or negative? Everything I’ve read thus far seems to indicate that accounts that remain after BK don’t help rebuild credit due to the lack of reporting. Does this mean that even though this continued payment history is showing it still does not help improve my credit standing? Or is this continued history something only I am seeing because I obtained the report but a potential creditor pulling the report would not be given this information?

I too have closed cc reporting positive on all 3 bureaus. I cleared off my wife's IIB accounts off my report and mine on hers so we don't have double negatives. We didn't reaffirm the house not knowing if we would continue to pay or save and walk. My mortgage company is continuing to report payment and opened up our online access again. One of my wife's department store cards with $0 balance didn't even close through the Ch7 although every other card did.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Interesting. My one store card, Macy’s, came through the BK unaffected, though I understand that at any time they could wake up and pull the card. I use it a little and pay it to help build credit, as little as that can help with a store card. I just opened a secured Visa with Golden 1 CU – they don’t pull a credit report for secured cards. The manager who helped me also said that many secured creditors, such as car loans and mortgage holders, will report payment activity after a BK. I am now facing the decision about letting the house go. I’ve been here ten years, I just adore the home, but my daughter is now gone and the upkeep is becoming overwhelming. I’m 58, alone, and pay over half my income to stay in this large underwater house. Now I am quite worried that if late payments start showing on the credit report for the mortgages as well as potentially affecting the credit score that has inched up I won’t be able to rent anywhere. I know there are so many people out there who have been in this position and who do indeed find other places to live, but it's still a bit frightening.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X