top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to use cards every month to keep them open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to use cards every month to keep them open?

I've been able to obtain 4 credit cards since our CH7 discharge - 2 Capital Ones, Orchard & Best Buy. I've been using them very little and paying them in full each month.

I was wondering if I have to use them every month in order for them to stay open and active.
    5/9/11 - Filed CH7 - No Asset
    7/1/11 - 341 Meeting
    9/1/11 - Discharged; 9/22/11 Case Closed

No.

Most creditors will not close your account due to inactivity unless you go 6-12 months without using the card. Being subprime cards, I imagine they each have a fee so that will keep them active. Just be sure and check them occasionally - don't want a fee to charge and you not make the payment.

Main factor is making sure that the balance is low when the card reports. Such a Capital One reports the balance as of the statement close. So if you use charge $495 on a $500 limit card, and wait til the 'due date' to pay it - your score for that month will be dinged because you showed the card maxed out. Doesn't have any long term impact - but keep that in mind if you're getting ready to apply for something. Make sure balances are low for ~1 month prior to a major app spree.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

No, I have the Orchard and BB one as well. They are cut up so I'm just paying the balance off and building my cl with them. BB just raised it by $500 today as I've never asked for a CL increase before and have had card since 2010. GL

Comment

Originally posted by buffetbuster View Post
        I've been able to obtain 4 credit cards since our CH7 discharge - 2 Capital Ones, Orchard & Best Buy. I've been using them very little and paying them in full each month.

I was wondering if I have to use them every month in order for them to stay open and active.

No, I think most companies won't close your card until after a year of non-use. The idea of using your card each month is to help rebuild your credit faster.

Comment

They still report every month pays as agrees , whether you have a balance or not, that is what is important.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X