Creditor reported account as charged off after we filed for bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor reported account as charged off after we filed for bankruptcy

My debt was discharged through chapter 13 in the fall of 2011. I was checking my credit record to day (it's been too long) and discovered that a creditor began reporting my debt as charged off roughly three months after we'd begun our chapter 13 payments. In other words, we filed for bankruptcy in 10/08, began making payments to the trustee in November 11/08, but our plan was not confirmed until 3/09. The creditor (a local bank) was certainly notified well-before all this (even had phone calls asking us not to file as it would "ruin our credit"), but listed it as charged off in 2/09.

Can they do this?

Yes. Charged off is an accounting term and just means the creditor has charged the debt off their books.

Comment

If it was charged off b4 you filed bankruptcy, it will stay, If after they will have to fix that. I would dispute it. It will effect when it will fall off your credit report. I disputed lots of stuff on my report. It all got fixed.

I had been quite upset as I had reaffirmed my car due to being only the cosigner and they would go after my Hubby. It showed up as negative IIB. I always paid on time and never late. I paid it off. Then it died, it had electrical problems bad. Anyway, I disputed it with all 3 CRAs and they did remove it totally. I had wanted it changed to positive reporting.
      chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Floridagail View Post
        If it was charged off b4 you filed bankruptcy, it will stay, If after they will have to fix that. I would dispute it. It will effect when it will fall off your credit report. I disputed lots of stuff on my report. It all got fixed.

I had been quite upset as I had reaffirmed my car due to being only the cosigner and they would go after my Hubby. It showed up as negative IIB. I always paid on time and never late. I paid it off. Then it died, it had electrical problems bad. Anyway, I disputed it with all 3 CRAs and they did remove it totally. I had wanted it changed to positive reporting.
        Thank you. It showed up as charged--off after we filed, but before it was confirmed, which was why I asked. I know the woman who oversees accounts at this bank (credit union) and I suspect she didn't know the difference between a charge-off used for book-keeping and a charge-off reported to credit bureaus.

I have disputed it and will be curious to see how it pans out.

Comment

I got everything I disputed fixed. Sometimes it took more than one dispute. I just keep disputing every few months.
          chpt 7 ,5-2009

Comment

Just realized this happened to me too on two accounts. I had been current and filed in June '11. They reported a 30 day late July and then charge off in both Aug and September. I was discharged in October of '11. All other accounts just reported closed and discharged. I love Macy's, they said discharged in Chapter 7/never late. I'll get to work disputing.

Comment

I already got 3 out of 4 fixed with just one dispute. One is still pending. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X