top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cancelling secured card - impact on score?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancelling secured card - impact on score?

When I first started rebuilding, I opened a CapOne secured card with $2500 deposit. I've since obtained more unsecured cards - two via my Credit Union's and another CapOne card.

The secured card has an annual fee that I can't justify paying since I don't use this card at all.

All cards are the same age (within two months) on my CR.

I have since also obtained a car note and never once carried a balance on the cards.

What, if any, do you think the negative impact will be on my score if I cancel to get my deposit back and avoid the annual fee.
    BK7 - Discharged May 2011

My question to you would be why are you worrying about your credit score? Closing a card will have an effect on utilization, but unless you are going to apply for a loan or another form of credit in the next few months, I probably would not worry about that. If you pif every month and are never late your score will continue to climb and you won't pay interest. If you are in a situation that you need the highest score, start planning 3-4 months out and there are little tricks that can give you a short term boost. People often worry too much about their everyday score when it is not necessary.

Comment

I'd say close it. It will have minimal impact on your score. I did the same thing. CapOne refused to remove the annual fee, so I just closed it.
      Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

If you always pay off your other cards (and they report as such), closing this account probably won't have any (significant) affect as it neither affects your utilization nor your AAoA (average age of accounts - at least not with FICO because they consider closed TLs as well).

I have a secured Cap. One card as well - although with a smaller CL ($700). I'm also thinking of closing this account because there is no option of having it converted to an unsecured card and/or having the annual fee removed.
        Filed CH7 9/24/2010, 341 on 10/28/2010, Disch.&Closed: 1/6/2011. FICO EX: 9/2: 672.
        FICO EQ: pre-filing: 573, After BK Public Record: 568, 10/3: 673.
        FICO TU: pre-filing: 589, After BK Public Record: 563, 9/2: 706.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X