Getting an unsecured credit card 3 yrs after discharge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting an unsecured credit card 3 yrs after discharge

Do you think it's possible for me to get an unsecured credit card to build credit 3 years after discharge? After my discharge, I never applied for a secured card I was just an authorized user for the past three years and the primary account holder has never missed a payment. Now I'm ready to apply and I'm wondering if my chances are good. I also heard that it's not good to apply to credit card companies that I included in my ch.7 because I'm probably on their hated list but I've seen on some posts here that people applied with the same company that they included in their bk and got approved. any thoughts and what cards would you recommend that I can apply for? Thanks.

Some companies blacklist you. AMEX and USAA are two that do, from personal experience. Others, such as Capital One, are known for approving credit cards 1 day after discharge despite being included in bankruptcy.

Have you checked your credit score? Credit Karma and Credit Sesame will both give you a good idea for free.

Some companies allow you to check to see if they can prequalify you for a card. Capital One's is at http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/ at the bottom.

Good luck!
    Chapter 7, above median, no asset. Discharged with no UST involvement.

Comment

I am approaching 4 years post-DC. I didn't apply for anything at all until between 2-3 years out. (closer to 3). I started off with a credit steps CapOne platinum. They were included in Chap 7 for me and they seem to be very BK friendly from what I see on other boards.

They've since given me a Venture with a higher credit line than I ever thought about having.
      Filed 3/16/11 via attorney who was worth every penny
      341 04/21/11
      DISCHARGED! 06/21/11

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X