403b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

403b

I will first preface this post by saying that I know NOTHING about retirement planning.

I am starting a new job that my employer will be putting in 10% of my salary into a 403B. I have no retirement presently.

I am wondering how I should setup my plan. I am 49 and will hopefully work for the next 16-20 years. I plan to start contributing as well as soon as I am able which may be after my C-13 is discharged 3 years from now.

I know they say when you are young and just starting to build a retirement plan that you should go for high risk investments as you have some time to recover. Not sure that would be a good way for me to go.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I should proceed to get the most return for my money in the little time I have. I do know that 15 years is not a lot of time and that I will end up with very megar retirement anyway but I just have no idea with the way the economy is how I should invest it.

I also plan on discussing this with a financial advisor as well so I won't hold anyone responsible! I just want to get some preliminary ideas.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Well montando...I do this for a living! (Well for our ee's :-) Here is the thing - NO ONE can predict the future - no ONE not even Goldman Sucks can foresee where the economy is going.

What I can tell you is this....if you have a guaranteed income account/stable value (or whatever your fund administration may call it) I'd frankly go heavily to that...NOW - PERSONALLY I "believe" in the future of Europe...so I would put some $$ in int'l funds...(Japan, even developing markets)...if you have the PIMCO Total Return fund, that is run by Bill Gross one of the most brilliant chaps in the industry...

So - here is my "model" portfolio - 50% stable value

20% -international

15% - fixed income Bonds (Pimco Total return if available)

rest general stocks/bonds

NOW - you CAN contribute after your plan is confirmed it's just that it won't be taken into account to calculate your DMI...BUT as always I'd ask the ATTY!

Comment

A rule of thumb is take your age and have that percentage in stocks and the rest in something that you won't lose any capital.

Comment

As best you can, within your current financial situation, put as much as you are able to, in this 403b account. Then try to stay away from it as long as possible (what I mean is do NOT draw from it or try to cash it out.) You will get a small nest-egg when you retire. But it is better to have that small account coming to you in about 16 years, or so, than nothing at all.

Good luck to you!
        "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Hi,
          I'm 52 and been in my job since I was 44. My employer makes a contribution to a 403B equal to 10% of my pay as well. I'm 2 years post a C-13 discharge and put in another 3.5% myself via a Roth option for donations (taxed now, but not taxed at withdrawal). Here is how my portfolio breaks down:

Guaranteed 7.39%

Equities 85.50% broken down as (approximates due to rounding)

Equity Index 23%
          Mid-Cap Growth Fund - Premier Class 22%
          Large-Cap Growth Index Fund - Retirement Class 19%
          Growth 13.8%
          Global Equities 2%
          Large-Cap Value Fund - Premier Class 2%
          International Equity Fund - Premier Class 1.5%
          Small-Cap Equity Fund - Premier Class 1.5%

Real Estate 3.78%
          Real Estate

Fixed Income 1.96%
          Bond Market

Money Market 1.37%
          Money Market

My personal rate of return for all of 2012 was right at 13% Account total value is approximately $23k more than total account contributions. Hope this helps a little.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a professional investment adviser. I'm only reporting what I have done for myself personally. You experiences and needs will likely differ. Talking to a professional adviser or the people that run your 403b plan would not be a bad idea. Many plan administrators can give advise or arrange for you to speak to a financial planner involved in the matter.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X