I'm like mom - but opposite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm like mom - but opposite

Well, after feeling like a rich girl and having every luxury, I suddenly find myself dead broke and in debt up to my rooftop. Due in part to a drug problem from fiance, but non-the-less, my problem.

2-3 years after all the crap of dealing with things and being able to acknowlege that yes, indeed, I am poor - and beyond, I have found a new way of making sure bills are paid and saving money.

My husband complains that I'm like my mom, but total opposite. See, my mom would spend $40 on a shirt and tell my father it only cost $10 so he wouldn't be upset. (FTR - every penny spent upset him) Me - well, I'll buy a $10 shirt, tell my husband it cost $40 and hide the rest of the money. LOL All of my bills are rounded up. Not just to the dollar, either. If my phone bill is $34, then in my mind it is automatically $50. If my electric bill is $172, it is in my mind $200. This has become the only way I know to save money.

When I got a phone line (didn't have a phone at all for about 6 months - while pregnant at that), I asked for the cheapest package possible and stated that I was poor. The lady laughed at me and said that I shouldn't think that way. In my head, I have to remind myself that I am poor everyday. If I don't think that I am poor I will, inevitably think I *can* spend this much here and there and will end up in the same old boat.

Before I would grab what I wanted off the shelf at the grocery store without looking at the price. Now, I try to buy off brand stuff as much as possible. I've even discovered that I have a preference to some off brand items. Three or four cents may not be much at the time, but I figure that if I save 3 or 4 cents everytime I buy something at the grocery store and purchase a couple hundred dollars worth of food, it does add up. Really it does.

It's a mindset for me, really. A lifestyle change. It did take a while for me to accomplish it, but I honestly think that it did finally click.

Brand names don't mean it's the BEST of a product, it's just a name that most people associate with......

I use many off brands of items...... Liquid deteregent is all made from the same base...(my brother used to haul it to different companies).... All the companies do is add their color and scents..... The cheapest on the markets (store brands) are made of the basic base just not additives. Still does the same job as the brand names and a lot cheaper.

I know some people swear by TIDE..... I used too, now I don't...

Vegetable wise, the big companies like Green Giant have their own personal suppliers, where the smaller companies buy whatever is available thru the market..

You can cut corners in everything you buy if you pay attention to sales, etc...
    Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

It's good you've found a system that is working Keep it up
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I've been thinking this way and living this way since the beginning of the year just hoping to have enough for the extra debt. It has helped, but we still need to file bk. But I will continue to live this way even after the BK. I buy off brands all the time and I shop at two different stores, buying what's on sale at one store then going across the street and buying what's on sale over there. It has helped tremendously. I spend the same on groceries, but I get more food for that money.
        9/27/07 Chapter 7 Filed

11/13/07 341 Meeting

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X