No announcement yet.

Dave Ramsey's books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he's just trying to help the average person. I have taken his Financial Peace University Class and I enjoyed it.
    I also think that it is greared towards people who have basically not ever paid attention to their money or who want to start finding ways to do better.

He's just an average guy telling his story and tips on how he learned things. He's not some miracle politian who can change the gas prices- and he knows that the average person can't change everything!

I think he has great points and can help lots of people.

It isn't something I would suggest if you are already in so far that you are drwoning, but I would suggest it for newlyweds or if you are starting over with a fresh look....
    341: April 30th, 2009 (Ch 7)
    Waiting... soon (hopefull June 30th!) !!

[URL Removed by Admin]

Comment

Originally posted by southernbelle View Post
      I don't have a problem with Dave and think his advice is okay, but I don't believe in exploiting people when they need help the most. If people are struggling to begin with, I don't believe in persuading them to spend money they don't have on seminars and books.

Suze Orman is no guru, but her free downloads have been helpful and I support anyone willing to make their advice free to people that need it the most.

Just my opinion anyway.
      I wanted to add that you can take the classes at local churches for free, or rent them at the library.

Also- when you are doing the banckruptcy you HAVE to take classes- you have to pay for any of them- he may not have a choice but to offer that service.
      341: April 30th, 2009 (Ch 7)
      Waiting... soon (hopefull June 30th!) !!

[URL Removed by Admin]

Comment

Wow this thread was not really what I was expecting.

I knew from hearing a couple in my family brag about Dave Ramsey and their financial turn around, that he could NOT possibly be the best thing that ever happened. I've stayed away from him. Even though these people seem to be financially set (which is his goal I guess), everything else in their life has gone straight to heck.

I might get the DR material from the library for free, but I will definitely take what I can use and ignore the rest, just like with anything else.

We also got the Debt Cures They Don't Want You To Know About book by the Kevin guy, but that is all about lying and making the cc co's prove you owe it, so you don't have to pay. It's all deny and lie your way out of your own debt. I just couldn't go through with that.
        Last edited by Annie4; 10-11-2009, 06:39 PM.
        8-4-09 Filed pro se Chap 7 (I still can NOT believe I took that first step!:blink:)
        8-25-09 Approved to proceed in forma pauperis.:unsure:
        9-8-09 :dry:Trustee's Report of No Distribution.
        11-18-09 :yahoo: Discharged! :clapping:

Comment

Surprised at all the Ramsey haters, especially on this forum lol. I googled his name once and saw some of his steps. I think his steps are pay off smallest bills first, then proceed to larger until they are paid off. Simple goal setting advice there. Then save up 6 months wages in case of an emergency like getting laid off. After that I think it was save for your kids college or pay off the house. Not bad advice for those of us on this forum.

Comment

I found Dave Ramsey after filing BK. I happen to agree with Dave Ramsey...as a direct result of filing BK and wanting to make a change so I did not end up back here. I have listened to his show and read the Total Money Makeover - he does not seem to be as antibankruptcy anymore as he is painted in this thread.

I have heard him give advice about JDB's and CA's that is in line with make sure it is your debt and negotiate it down. Maybe that is a function of the times. But, as always, you take what works for you and leave the rest.
            Filed CH 7 9/30/2008
            Discharged Jan 5, 2009! Closed Jan 18, 2009

I am not an attorney. None of my advice is legal advice in any way..

Comment

I just finished up Finacial Peace and it was great. I would start out with that, and if you like it wait for him to have a special on his online course and take that too.
              This isn't legal advice, I'm in the same boat you are.

Talked to lawyer Feb 25,2010
              Stopped paying / using credit cards march 1st.

Comment

Listen to his radio show in the car daily. It's informative and inspiring. I WISH I had known of him 3-4-5 years ago, then I maybe would have changed my outlook back then and wouldn't be filing bk now.
                Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

I've listened to Dave Ramsey for a while, and it was partly because of that that kept me from filing over a year ago. I really wish I had not fallen for some of the things he preached. Now that we have filed, my wife and I are far more relieved than we have been in years. It wasn't the bankruptcy that tore apart our family, it was everything that led up to it.

One thing I have been thinking...we should get our discharge in October, I was thinking about calling in for the debt free scream. We eliminated over $250,000 in four months, including the mortgage!
                  Retained Lawyer: June 28 Filed Chapter 7: July 8 341 Meeting: August 16

Comment

I am taking the FPU right now. I agree that if I had applied this information and lived below my means, then I would not be filing BK either. I like Dave's approach. It was only after he hit rock bottom and filed BK that he started counseling others and helping. I think he has a real world approach. Most that are offended will never change anyway. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Love the basic advice of Dave - cash only, save an emergency fund, etc...
                      DH and I started FPU in Jan. 09. His FPU is great!
                      However, we believed we could pull out of 75k of cc debt with his strategies. Stopped paying cc in may 10, started negotiating a settement. After realizing that we will be taxed on our settlement - we stopped negioating. Got served an AmEx summons for judgement and visited attorney the next day to start filing BK. The following week after we made the decision to file for BK; we were notified that our boat was going to be repo'd (60 days past due). We'd been trying to sell the boat just as DR suggested - sell it for whatever you can sell it for and still owe the difference. No one even looked at the boat!

Now that we've made the decision to BK, a strange relieve has come over us. We can put in the negative boat balance in the BK along with the 75k in unsecured CC.

We learned through DR the envelope budget system - when the cash is gone, you can't spend anymore. SO TRUE! Unlike plastic, cash is real. It's way to easy to pull out the CC at the grocery when you didn't plan well and 'pay it off' when the bill comes and oops...still didn't plan our outgoing expenses and paid only what we could afford towards that cc balance that month.

However, most of the debt was because of a business - and why should my husband and I kill ourself for a business that isn't paying the bills?

We are kicking ourself for not filing last year.

Why wouldn't we NOT want to file bk?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X