Cheapest home phone plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest home phone plan

I live in NJ. Like many, I have a cell and a home phone.
    What is the cheapest plan to have a phone in the home?
    I am trying to figure it out from Verizon's site, and don't trust the reps if I call.

thanks ahead for your advice.
    Much thanks for all the support and information I receive on this forum.
    Chapter 7 filed 11/21/2008
    341 Meeting 01/05/2009
    Discharged 03/06/2009

Originally posted by Flowers View Post
    I live in NJ. Like many, I have a cell and a home phone.
    What is the cheapest plan to have a phone in the home?
    I am trying to figure it out from Verizon's site, and don't trust the reps if I call.

thanks ahead for your advice.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

We use AT&T for our home phone. They have basic phone service (no calling included) for $18.xx/month and DSL for $10/month. Our total bill with taxes comes to $32.xx/month.

We use our cell phones only and give our home phone out whenever we have to fill in a form, etc. It doesn't ring but does have an answering machine hooked up to it. We have been doing this since 2001. Still have yet to receive an unwanted call on our cheap cell phones.
      Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
      Discharged - 2/29/08
      Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
      Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

Do you have high speed internet? If so you wont find anything cheaper than this: http://www.magicjack.com

$40 for the first year (Included device) and $20 each additional year.

Comment

I use Vonage for my home phone. It works great, and is pretty reasonable.
          Filed 8/08 - Discharged 11/08! Not tracking FICO.
          Pre-Bankruptcy Net Worth: -$72,000... Today's net worth: $142,000.
          If your FICO score just went higher than your net worth, and you are happy about this, you might have a financial problem!

Comment

Originally posted by ansky0007 View Post
            Do you have high speed internet? If so you wont find anything cheaper than this: http://www.magicjack.com

$40 for the first year (Included device) and $20 each additional year.
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I got one months ago and sent it back..kept cutting out and crappy reception. I think it has to do with my apartment building tho. Love the concept. I wish it worked for me.

Comment

What about Tmobile home phone for $10 per month? I use them for my home phone and cell phones. It does require high speed internet as it operates via WI-FI.

Comment

Hi Hub,
                  Did you receive the magicjack? How does it work?

Juls
                  Filed Chapter 7 on 09/24/09
                  Discharged 1/4/10

Comment

Magic Jack is phone service thew the internet.. If you have high speed DSL then you can use it.. From what i hear It's $39.00 for the first year and $19.00 a year after that.. Now I currently use Vonage.. I pay $19.00 a month, i have 500 mins to call out, in coming calls are free, and you get the perks, like call wating, voice mail, ect ect.. I'm very happy with the service !
                    Filed on 7-17-09
                    waiting for 341
                    341 meeting 8-21-09
                    discharged/ case closed 12/23/2009

Comment

I use phonepower.com. If you sign up for a prepay plan it can be pretty cheap. Right now I pay about $20 a month for 500 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming. I use to have vonage and I was happy with the service, but one thing I really hated about them is that it's really hard to cancel. They are pretty relentless about keeping you, even when I lied and said I was moving in with someone who already had phone service they kept trying to tell me I should tell that person that if we use vonage they'd save so much money. They also tell you they'll give you free service for 3 months and after that if you still want to cancel you can call back(and start the whole sale again). After about 10 minutes of saying no I just started cut them off everytime they spoke and said "please cancel my account". After i did that three times they finally did. Also have to check your billing, because I've heard reports of people who cancelled yet were still charged. They also have a contract and will charge you an early cancellation fee within the first two years.

Phone power is about the same price, but you can choose a no contract plan and have better customer service ratings.

VOIP packages are nice though, regardless of who you choose. On great feature is being able to set up forwarding or simultaneous ring easily, so I have my home phone number ring both my home phone and cell phone at the same time.

Comment

I have had the Magic Jack for about 9 months and although having a few problems at first every thing was sorted out and it works great.

Comment

If you have Qwest availability they have a combined local plan with unlimited long distance for a set fee every month. It manages the local service and all long distance for that one price. Have had this plan for several years and it saves a fortune. We know our max bill and can budget for it every month.
                          Ch 7 filed: 3/30
                          341: 5/12
                          Discharged and Closed 7/20: Now known as- Free Willy

Comment

tracfone-

I was spending so much money on different phone companies and their cancellation fees were out of this world. I ended up purchasing a Tracfone because I was able to find a plan that fit my lifestyle and pay for the amoutn of minutes I use. Not some outrageous fee and then never using the minutes! Tracfone has fantastic service and was by far one of the smartest decisions I ever made.

Comment

It's a bit pricey upfront, but I have Ooma. It requires high speed internet. $199 upfront and some costco's have a deal for 6 months of premium service for free. If you dont want premium, you don't pay any more - ever. If you want premium, it's $99 a year.

It installs as the first device after your DSL/Cable modem. Some of the VOIP devices like majic Jack do not which can lead to poor call quality. I have tried Packet 8, AT&T CallVantage and this is the best so far. With those services, I was told I sounded like I was talking under water.
                              March 2009 - Filed Ch 13 April 2009 - 341 Meeting
                              Sept 2009 - Confirmed April 2014 Plan completed May 2014 - Discharged!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X